Mac or Pc?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by stratio, Oct 23, 2008.

1. stratio macrumors newbie

I saw during last days the new Macbook on the apple store and i definitely fell in love for it .
    So just because i think i'm going to buy a laptop in a very short time i would like to buy one.
    However i'm still doubtful about it....don't know if it would be the better option
    expecially I don't know if it would be good and suitable for programming in different language such as C,Java,php,python, perl etc etc...

Is there any mac user that can give me an advice?
    thanx

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

One of the great things about the Intel-based Macs, is that not only can you get all of the languages you mentioned and some of the popular IDEs (NetBeans, Eclipse, Xcode, etc), you can still run Windows on it if you really need a specific server/IDE/language that might not be on it.

I do Java on my Mac, and since I need a certain set of libraries, my new MacBookPro will also run windows in Parallels so I can get a development environment that matches my work.

So yes, you should do it!

3. palsword macrumors newbie

palsword

mac

i have been using pc for 19 years and when I decided to buy a notebook I bought a mac(a month ago) and it feels really great to change to something new.
    You don't have to worry about using mac for programing, there is an apple program called xcode and it's really good and looks cool also ;) I use it for C++ and i know that it compiles C also and works for java also.. i don't know about other languages but it's capable of doing many things.

the Thing that i didn't like about mac is Microsoft programs for mac (messenger, office) they are not as good as the windows programs but still they can do your job, although sometimes harder.

I think that you should buy a mac and if it's the new one then that's great.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

I can't think of a beter platform for software development than a Mac. After all the Mac runs UNIX. Where did C,Java,php,python, perl etc etc.. come from? UNIX.

The advantage of the mac is that it runs all of the common operaing systems. You can run Mac OS X and it has supports C,Java,php,python, perl nativly right out of the box. But inside a VMware window you can run Linux, Windows and Solaris and test that your software is portable to those platfomrs.

I'd say the question is not "will it work?" but "could anything else work better?"

Now if you were on a tight budget I'd say to go and get a low end $499 computer and install either Linuix or BSD Unix on it but seeing as you found the mac within your means then get it.

5. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I don't use Messenger, but I've actually found Mac Office 2008 to be quite good. It's definitely more Mac-like and looks pretty nice, unlike many previous versions of Mac Office. In fact I think I like this Word better than any since I used MS Word 1.0-4.0 on my Mac Plus, and the new Excel has a nice look and feel to it as well. I think MS is finally learning that a simple afterthought Mac port of Office apps just is not cutting it and they have done a lot of good work to make it more appealing. MS Remote Desktop Connection also works really well when I need to remote into Windoze machines at work from my Mac at home.

6. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Always buy a mac. I don't think most Windows users even realize its compatibility, rock-soild-ness, and amazingness. Let alone its expandability.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

ultimate programming notebook. OS X is based on FreeBSD Unix and so you can do perl, php, python out of the box.

OS X also includes Xcode a dev tool that compiles C, C++, Objective-C, and Java.

then for Visual Basic you can install Windows with Boot Camp for native speed or in a virtual machine with Fusion. Fusion can also use your Boot Camp partition. so you dont have to install Windows again.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you want to do any programming...

Every Macintosh sold comes with Xcode, which is the software development system that Apple uses itself to create all of their software for the Macintosh and the iPhones. You have exactly what every programmer working for Apple has. And it supports C, C++, Objective-C, Java, python, perl, etc. You also get the Apache webserver and an SQL database.

9. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Precisely, it's less effort than Windows.

Here's everything you get standard (in the box) with Mac OS X Leopard.

Development
    Xcode 3 IDE with Interface Builder 3
    Instruments
    Dashcode
    AppleScript Studio
    Automator 2
    Shark
    GCC compiler and toolset (original project by FSF.org)
    DTrace (original project by Sun)
    Complete Java JDK, including javac, javadoc, ANT, and Maven tools
    Apache web server
    AppleScript
    Ruby and the Ruby on Rails frameworks
    Python
    Perl
    PHP

SQLite

The Mac works with 400 more printers out the box than Windows Vista.

Microsoft quoted 1,600 on their Mojave site this Summer, Apple quote 2,000+ for Leopard last October.

Multiple monitors, TWAIN scanners, digital cameras, projectors, Windows Networks. The Mac does a good job handling the lot. And if you done run into problems there is a really helpful supportive community to help (both here and on the Apple Support Discussion forums). It' something many people overlook.

10. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Don't forget:

OpenGL + debugging utilities
    OpenAL
    Subversion
    Core Image
    Core Audio
    Core Text
    QuickTime
    Quartz
    Quartz Composer

and the whole UNIX toolset, which is extensive. I didn't know much about UNIX tools previously, but just a little work learning simple command-line tools like grep, curl, sed, etc. has been a huge time saver in writing apps with other languages, including C, Objective-C, AppleScript, and Python.

I'd like to see them start installing Django by default.