Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use iSync?

• Yes, with my phone.

Votes: 154 43.6%
  • Yes, with my PDA.

Votes: 19 5.4%
  • Yes, with both my Phone and PDA.

Votes: 22 6.2%
  • No, but I would if my device was supported.

Votes: 105 29.7%
  • No, and I don't anticipate ever needing to.

Votes: 53 15.0%

• Total voters

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to AppleInsider and corroborated by a MacRumors source, Apple's upcoming 10.4.7 update to its Mac OS will include, among other things, an updated iSync utility.

According to AppleInsider and our source, Build 8J2126 for Intel Macs includes iSync 2.3 (current is 2.2) and includes support for "many additional phones" including Motorola's RAZR v3x.

There are some indications that AppleInsider's source and MacRumors' source are one-and-the-same, but that in of itself does not rule out the legitimacy of the rumor.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Better syncing is always good. Even though I must say my (fairly) new Sony Ericsson Z520i syncs much better than the Sony Ericsson T68i it replaced. But I'm sure there's always room for improvements... ;)

Di9it8 said:
When will any phones sync fully with Mac OS:rolleyes:
When Apple makes it's own phones, of course... :rolleyes:

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
PowerPC?

Just out of curiosity it says Build 8J2126 for Intel Macs, does this mean no sync 2.3 for PowerPc macs?:confused:

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
fblack said:
Just out of curiosity it says Build 8J2126 for Intel Macs, does this mean no sync 2.3 for PowerPc macs?:confused:

Yes, there will be a PPC version. But the article is a bit unclear about it. I would be surprised if apple didn't include it. What I would like is full sync support with iPhoto to work with my brand new Sony DSC-H5. It registers and imports, but it says the camera is untitled in the sidebar and doesn't have the picture of it when importing (I know, none of you know what I mean…). I used to use iSync, but don't any more. It's not that iSync doesn't support my devices (but it doesn't), it's that I have always found calendars hard to use on cell phones.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
fblack said:

Tap dancing on the edge of Apple's NDA... Mac OS X 10.4.7 exists for both Intel and PowerPC but have slightly different build numbers (currently 8J126 for PowerPC and 8J2126 for Intel).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I like the poll + rumor format a lot -- just a random kudo. ;)

My phone (V3) is already supported. The thing I need most from iSync is WM5 support -- which I don't need badly, but I would like to be able to sync my Axim x51v (which I mostly use to read PDAs and check e-mail via WiFi). So mostly I'm waiting for PocketMac or MissingSync to get up to speed on WM5. Because Apple isn't likely to be adding that feature in 10.4.7... :(

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
More features please...

shawnce said:
Tap dancing on the edge of Apple's NDA... Mac OS X 10.4.7 exists for both Intel and PowerPC but have slightly different build numbers (currently 8J126 for PowerPC and 8J2126 for Intel).

kool, thanx. What I would like is for expaned features in isync, like transfering address book photos, oh and home made ringtones (I dont have bluetooth) would be nice too.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
How about putting one syncing conduit back into one app - none of this syncing outside of iSync - i.e., .Mac and iPod ( for photos, address etc not music - due to iTunes for windows )

Bad software design... to have the output all over the system - this confuses users and macs syncing more difficult.

iSync should be an app ( and has been ) where isyncing modules can be 'plugged' in. Every user will know what app is used for syncing - all centralised and modularised - that is iSync.

I know this is not going to happen, but the current syncing for devices is nothing but a mess.

david_r_p

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Southern California
Stella said:
How about putting one syncing conduit back into one app - none of this syncing outside of iSync - i.e., .Mac and iPod ( for photos, address etc not music - due to iTunes for windows )

Bad software design... to have the output all over the system - this confuses users and macs syncing more difficult.

iSync should be an app ( and has been ) where isyncing modules can be 'plugged' in. Every user will know what app is used for syncing - all centralised and modularised - that is iSync.

I know this is not going to happen, but the current syncing for devices is nothing but a mess.

Man you nailed this one. iPod syncs to iTunes; camera to iPhoto; video recorder to iMovie; and little orphaned devices (pdas, phones, etc.) to iSync??? Seems like the phones and pdas should be syncing within an app like AdressBook or iCal to follow Apple's formula.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Stella said:

Total mess. I completely agree. Once upon a time I could use iSync for everything. Now I use iSync, System Preferences (.Mac pref panel), and iTunes...

How is that easier Steve?

JZ Wire

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2003
Miami, FL
iSync is cool although I don't use it too often. I know Safari will be one of those apps they are fixing in this update but Id like to see much more focus on it. I love the speed of Camino but no matter what browser I use I always find myself coming back to Safari.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
david_r_p said:
Man you nailed this one. iPod syncs to iTunes; camera to iPhoto; video recorder to iMovie; and little orphaned devices (pdas, phones, etc.) to iSync??? Seems like the phones and pdas should be syncing within an app like AdressBook or iCal to follow Apple's formula.

Phones do sync to address book and iCal...

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
My Motorola v635 is on the list, but each time I connect the phone to iSync, the phone just disconnects, however my v635 has a more stable connection on my Mac than any of the PCs I use, it takes like 12 tries to connect to the computer, while on the Mac it only takes 2-3.. I'll have to try after the update (although it's already supported) to see if it will finally sync fully

Off topic, but just something a bit neat, the Nokia "Safari" user agent string is: "Nokia E61: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413"

Of course there is probably slightly different strings, ie different phone models

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I have like a gazillion posts here at MR, and have been here for years, and yet I can't figure out why some of this news is considered MacRumours posts (Page 1), and why some of this isn't considered MacBytes (Page 2). This isn't as bad as some of the other stuff posted on MacRumours rather than MacBytes, so I'll give you that.

This sort of thing happens all the time, so even if your source just made this up, it might actually come true in 10.4.7 regardless.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
david_r_p said:

It's been doing that for ages. I sync my phone with Address book and iCal almost every day via BlueTooth. I used to do this with my PDA 3 years ago (when I still used PDAs ;) ). Same with my iPod, although Apple messed things up and makes iPod sync through iTunes, which sort of defeats the purpose of having iSync, but we won't go into that again here.

GreenCountry

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2006
Come on BlackBerry... show me BlackBerry support!

(Please no one recommend PocketMac - I've tried it and it's well documented how bad it is, and I've suffered bad results because of it too, including appointments on the wrong date/time - absolutely unacceptable)

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Abstract said:
I have like a gazillion posts here at MR, and have been here for years, and yet I can't figure out why some of this news is considered MacRumours posts (Page 1), and why some of this isn't considered MacBytes (Page 2). This isn't as bad as some of the other stuff posted on MacRumours rather than MacBytes, so I'll give you that.

This sort of thing happens all the time, so even if your source just made this up, it might actually come true in 10.4.7 regardless.

Umm..well MacBytes is for straight up news, and rarely are rumors posted there. Page 1 is for fairly good/substantive rumors (and major news) and Page 2 is for rumors that are from a dubious source or quite likely to be made-up. This is not news as it hasn't happened yet and comes from an anonymous source. It's not really a page 2 rumor because an improvement in iSync in an OS X point update is both likely and has occurred before. Also it's posted by two different reasonably reliable rumors sites. I think that places it squarely in MacRumors Page 1 territory.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
To be honest, I voted "No, but I would if my device was supported" but I have no idea if my phone is even supported. It's not Bluetooth (and neither is my Mac mini) and the phone companies are always trying to sell us the "optionnal" things (such as data cables) at incredibly expensive prices.

I got my phone for free with a three years contract. Am I really expected to pay 30-40$ CAD for a simple USB cable? :rolleyes:

Besides, iTunes syncs very well with my iPods... I only wish we could enter data into the iPod like a PDA. Next one perhaps? (you know, the "true video, widescreen, touch-screen" one?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.