Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Ok- and odd one.
2015 iMac27 fully loaded.
Had a supplemental Catalina update.
Went ahead and downloaded and restart.
about 5 minutes in I get a screen saying it cannot be restarted. Press D to run diagnostics or restart the installer.
I ran the diagnostics and it said no issues. Tried installing again - no luck. Same error.
Tried option and got Mac OS and Installer. Installer gets the same issue and the Mac OS partition starts, let’s me input password then shuts down Mac.
any thoughts on how else to
Proceed? I can’t get disk utility to show to open.
I do have time machine yet it won’t recognize the drive.

Attachments

• 1994EF47-F1AB-4D78-A8DA-6735843BC320.jpeg
    1994EF47-F1AB-4D78-A8DA-6735843BC320.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 195

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Do you have another Mac to make an installer? You could create a USB thumb drive installer. Then perform a clean install.

Internet recovery is another option for a clean install. Option-⌘-R for the latest compatible version of macOS.

I like having a USB installer handy. Actually I have a USB installer with multiple partitions for a wide range of macOS versions. Also if there is an issue you won't have to start the whole internet recovery over again. You can also try to install over your existing installation and skip the whole clean install.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
Do you have another Mac to make an installer? You could create a USB thumb drive installer. Then perform a clean install.

Internet recovery is another option for a clean install. Option-⌘-R for the latest compatible version of macOS.

I like having a USB installer handy. Actually I have a USB installer with multiple partitions for a wide range of macOS versions. Also if there is an issue you won't have to start the whole internet recovery over again. You can also try to install over your existing installation and skip the whole clean install.
I’ve got an older installed handy. Trying that now. I’ll do the internet version next. Thanks. Wish me luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.