Mac OS X 10.4.3 8F28 Seeded

nomore

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2005
91
0
I don't want Apple to rush the release of this.... but they really need to get their arses in gear. I have a number of issues with 3 Macs running 10.4.2... one of these being a G5 PowerMac, and another being a brand new iMac G5 at work. The iMac has crashed a number of times to the point where it needs a hard reboot.

I bet a lot of other people running 10.4 have similar issues.
 

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
847
65
Null
I actually haven't had any problems with 10.4.2. It came installed on my iBook, and works fantastic. Although I really look forward to 10.4.3...
 

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
3,018
3,340
Good to read Apple is taking fixing Tiger seriously.

It's a disgrace that Apple released Tiger when they did. This obviously proves out the point that Tiger _really_ needed another six months of development.

Anyway, I hope Apple doesn't pull this crap with 10.5, and the feature improvements are significant. Longhorn is shaping up to be one hell of an operating system. (And yes, we can complain it is simply a rip-off of OSX, but companies and consumers could care less.)

Apple needs to get 10.4 working right since it is the ethical thing to do for people who paid for the upgrade, and then move on to ensuring that 10.5 leap-frogs Microsoft and changes the game.
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,922
181
BWhaler said:
It's a disgrace that Apple released Tiger when they did. This obviously proves out the point that Tiger _really_ needed another six months of development...
Which is what some of us were warning about when it was released... I don't feel at all sorry for those who rushed out, installed it right away and had problems. Cold and heartless perhaps, but that's just the way I feel.

My motto: Never install .0 or buy Rev A of anything.
 

mkjellman

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2003
158
0
i said it time and time again, there couldn't be any way apple was ready to release tiger because the latest beta I had was so buggy I couldn't believe it had the possibility of being GM. I'm glad that people finally understand what I and others were trying to say and maybe next time we won't have 28 pages worth of "APPLEEEE PLEASE RELEASE TIGER!@!!@@!11"
 

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
11,979
428
BWhaler said:
Good to read Apple is taking fixing Tiger seriously.

It's a disgrace that Apple released Tiger when they did. This obviously proves out the point that Tiger _really_ needed another six months of development.

Anyway, I hope Apple doesn't pull this crap with 10.5, and the feature improvements are significant. Longhorn is shaping up to be one hell of an operating system. (And yes, we can complain it is simply a rip-off of OSX, but companies and consumers could care less.)

Apple needs to get 10.4 working right since it is the ethical thing to do for people who paid for the upgrade, and then move on to ensuring that 10.5 leap-frogs Microsoft and changes the game.
Was there any questions like this when 10.3 came out, I recall some bad press around 10.3.0. Did anybody think that Panther was rushed out?

I personally had no problems with 10.4.0 but have noticed a marked increase in stability with 10.4.2.
 

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
400
56
INW
This has probably been covered on MacFixit and I missed it, but...

I've been having noticeable Finder problems lately, mostly related to iDisk and SD cards. Ejecting them will sometimes cause the Finder to freeze -- the SD card issue being the worst, as the Finder never recovers -- and the refresh rate is appallingly slow. During iDisk usage, occasionally new desktop files won't appear until I've cycled through a number of Finder windows.

Tiger has been okay for me so far. I never noticed a lot of the bugs (the "Get Info" one, for instance) in earlier versions. But I'm really hoping that 10.4.3 is *the* fix and all others are just feature enhancements. I've never quite reached the bliss that I personally had with 10.2.9.
 

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
946
4
KY
I installed Tiger within the first few weeks of it's release and have never had a single crash, or any other notable problem, since. Nor has my girlfriend had a single issue with Tiger since she bought her ibook over a month ago. I still look forward to updates, but I'm not in the camp that thinks Tiger wasn't ready for the market. It may have had a few issues, but it probably still has fewer issues than XP does today.
 

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
713
0
eji said:
I've never quite reached the bliss that I personally had with 10.2.9.
10.2.9 ? I don't remember this update ever coming out? I think Jaguar stopped at 10.2.8
Perhaps you mean 10.3.9 Panther.

I believe that any .0 release of software is going to have some bugs and quirks. The same situation is going to be with Longhorn. Microsoft is going to release an update to it, which will also bring new features like WinFS, with which, I am pretty sure, they are going to fix some bugs.

10.1 , 10.2 , 10.3 and 10.4 could as well be betas at different stages of development. This is the way Apple works and it is the only way they can deliver anything with the number engineers they have.
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,568
0
Didn't realize that Apple was having so many problems. Had actually thought that they would release 10.4.3 this week. Oh well it's always better to do it correctly than rush.
 

PubGuy

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2002
73
3
My system has been locking up on me for about 1-2 weeks now, I think it started after that last Java update got installed. It's been the first time since I've had 10.4 that I've had to use the reset button to clear the problem. It would be real nice if an iterim fix was released before mid-October.
 

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
1,474
0
Maryland, USA
PubGuy said:
My system has been locking up on me for about 1-2 weeks now, I think it started after that last Java update got installed. It's been the first time since I've had 10.4 that I've had to use the reset button to clear the problem. It would be real nice if an iterim fix was released before mid-October.
I've updated to the latest Java and don't have a problem. If a reset clears the problem, that's not an operating system issue, it is suggesting that the cache or cookie files are getting corrupt and you have a wider system issue that you haven't noticed, such as perhaps a directory issue, or running Virex which isn't Tiger compatible. I suggest starting your own thread so someone can isolate it for you.
 

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
1,474
0
Maryland, USA
eji said:
This has probably been covered on MacFixit and I missed it, but...

I've been having noticeable Finder problems lately, mostly related to iDisk and SD cards. Ejecting them will sometimes cause the Finder to freeze -- the SD card issue being the worst, as the Finder never recovers -- and the refresh rate is appallingly slow. During iDisk usage, occasionally new desktop files won't appear until I've cycled through a number of Finder windows.

Tiger has been okay for me so far. I never noticed a lot of the bugs (the "Get Info" one, for instance) in earlier versions. But I'm really hoping that 10.4.3 is *the* fix and all others are just feature enhancements. I've never quite reached the bliss that I personally had with 10.2.9.
Synching with the iDisk has been problematic for me too. I think the server it is running on is having way too many problems more than the operating system that is installed on your machine. Some card readers though aren't made to specs and could have issues if they don't have the latest firmware, or if they are connected in a low powered USB port after Energy Saver wakes up. Try only using them after a restart, or not using Energy Saver while they are connected.
 

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
739
0
LA-la-land
gopher said:
Mail isn't broke. Maybe the interface isn't exactly up to everyone's par, but outside that, I've used Mail since Mac OS X was released without any issues. If you are having issues, please post to http://discussions.info.apple.com/ where people can help you isolate them.
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I like Mail's new interface. Same goes for iTunes 5. Brushed metal was starting to look clunky and I like the simplicity of one large bar at the top of the window. If nothing else, it helps separate it farther from the look of Windows. Mmmm, and those buttons look delicious. :p

Here's to progress!
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.