Mac OS X 10.5.2: World of Warcraft Fix, Still No Airport Extreme Backups

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 23, 2008.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A few more tidbits on the coming Mac OS X 10.5.2 update.

- The latest seed reportedly fixes a known driver problem that affects World of Warcraft on PowerPC machines.

- Despite early hope that the 10.5.2 update would fix Time Machine's Airport Extreme + USB (AirDisk) drive backup incompatibility, the latest Mac OS X developer seed does not appear to address this issue. While AirDisk drives can sometimes now show up in the newest Time Machine, backup attempts to them have been unsuccessful. While these reports are based on beta/developer versions of the software and admittedly limited testing, Apple lists "no known issues" in their seed notes for this latest version.

Apple had originally advertised Airdisk wireless backups as a feature for Leopard, but this feature was removed prior to its launch. Speculation has suggested that it may have been due to some unresolved security issues, but Apple has made no official statements. While there have been workarounds published, the announcement of Time Capsule raised hopes again that Apple would address this issue soon.

Article Link

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I might just end up getting a Time Capsule in the future then. Not that my 802.11n Buffalo router doesn't work but it's cheaper then a Linux server and I love my AFP. I'm quite glad I didn't stick with the Airport Extreme router when I was looking for routers.

Then again I'm going to replace my current E2160 and a cheap motherboard later means a new computer.

3. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I'm really glad I hadn't yet bought an Airport Express and an external HD...Time Capsule is looking really good

4. flipperanubi, Jan 23, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  5. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

An airport disk shows up for *some* people? That's odd.

Either this is an anomaly from making Time Capsule work, or indeed wireless backups will be possible via AEBS and airdisk. Perhaps 10.5.2 does its job, and a firmware update for the AEBS will finish the trick.

6. peestandingup macrumors regular

"While there have been workarounds published, the announcement of Time Capsule raised hopes again that Apple would address this issue soon."

Don't count on it. Time Capsule IS the "fix". Who knows why Apple crippled the AP Extreme + AirDisk backup feature. It obviously works well enough with the hack. And that combo is a permanent solution, unlike these Time capsules, where once you run outta space, thats the end.

My guess, with the way Apple's been doing things lately, it was done to sell more hardware.

7. mbcastleman macrumors newbie

When are they going to fix...

The iPhone syncing. They have these new great features in 10.5.. (to do's)...that don't sync... (unless I missed it).

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

And once again, it seems likely that a fix would have to come from an Airport Extreme update, not an OS update.

I'm still hopeful it will come out, but I doubt you'll see it in 10.5.2.

9. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

This looks like it will be a great update, can't wait to see its release. :)

10. Lord Sam macrumors regular

Lord Sam

Nice going

wow. Apple really clinched this one, didn't they. One Time Capsule please. Who knew, Time Capsule might end up outselling the MacBook Air! LOL.

11. Spike Lightfoot macrumors member

There is no WAY I'd want a Time Capsule for backups. When your hard disk crashes, do you really want to be without a router for two weeks while your TC is in for repairs? This is a major flaw in the TC concept, in my opinion. I'll stick with my AEBS and some sort of attached disk. There are at least a few different options, even if Apple decides not to sanction AirDisk backups via Time Machine.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have redundant backups. Don't you?

13. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

Le Big Mac

I don't agree. It makes little business sense. First off, you anger customers.

Plus, what does apple achieve? They force people to buy Time Capsule instead of AEBS. But Time Capsule's price is about the same as AEBS+500GB hard drive. So it's not a profit driven goal.

Plus, it means that people who would consider AEBS because of the AirDisk feature will instead buy a 3d party solution since AEBS doesn't add that value.

Now, there's a very good question of why they can't make AirDisk for TimeMachine work properly except when it's part of Time Capsule. One would think there's no issue--how is Time Capsule different than AEBS+HD?

14. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

The announcements of Time Capsule mean 1 thing ... they aren't going to fix AEBS with TM. Why should they fix it, when they can sell you a whole new device to solve a problem that shouldn't need to be solved.

15. lshaner macrumors regular

lshaner

NOTE: Time Capsule "Ships February" ... Mine says February 29.

That leaves 5+ weeks for Apple to resolve any remaining issues in Leopard and in Air Port firmware in addition to whatever additional engineering they need to complete for the Time Capsule "packaging" of same.

I wouldn't put it past Apple to release 10.5.2, soon and still possibly release a patch specific to the Airport and/or Time Capsule, prior to or on 2/29.

16. dethl macrumors regular

Unfortunately too late for me. I already sold and shipped my PPC PM. I was really disappointed that such a driver issue could exist so late in the life of the PPC line. I went back to Tiger so I could actually play WoW but didn't enjoy the lack of performance gains with my 7800GS. Nevermind that the same card worked with Unreal Tournament 2004, Doom 3, etc without so much as a hiccup but WoW was my primary game of choice and not being able to play it to my card's maximum ability put a bitter taste in my mouth.

17. Spike Lightfoot macrumors member

Whatever. Do you also have redundant routers?

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yes, I do. Best Buy had some $10 Belkin 802.11g routers years ago. They work fine to this day at different sites.

19. Reach macrumors 6502a

Ah, nice that they fix WoW, it's really quite annoying, and I was surprised the 10.5.1 update didn't fix it.

Anyway, as irony has it, As 10.5.2 comes out, I will be getting my new Mac Pro with the 8800, so that problem would not have mattered anyway.. Oh well. :)

20. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Funny, because thats what they did. Angering customers doesn't seem to phase Steve very much. Look how long it took to convince Apple to release an SDK for the iPhone. Look at what they did with ring tones, etc.

Apple has also refused to respond to questions on why the AEBS doesn't work with TM. I have called countless times, and I have send numerous feedback requests. No response at all, not even a thought on why it wouldn't work.

Despite making business sense, its what they are doing. I am now stuck with an AEBS that sits in the corner collecting dust.

21. dethl macrumors regular

Routers are a dime a dozen these days and I bet that if you have a TC you probably already have a router that you can keep on backup just in case.

22. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

"Ships February" 98% of the time means February 29th. :(

23. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Good thing for me I bought my 1TB HD after the stores started their extended return policy for the holiday season. Circuit City refunded the full amount and I received the rebate check on the HD yesterday. Made $50. I will sell the AEBS on eBay or similar once my 1TB TC arrives. TC ships Feb 29th per order status.

24. SFNE Freak macrumors member

Two weeks? Where do you get that. I'd say the most you'd be without it is for 4 days. One day with it broken. The box comes the next day, you ship it back that same day (overnighted of course), they fix it on day three and it's back in your arms on day 4. That's been my experience with every Mac repair I've dealt with (and I've dealt with more than a couple).

25. overcast macrumors 6502a

99% of people don't even have backups, let a lone redundant ones. Use your head.