Mac OS X 10.6.7 Adds Support for New AMD Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 24, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As reported by tonymacx86, Apple's new Mac OS X 10.6.7 update for the 2011 MacBook Pro includes support for a number of AMD graphics cards not currently found in Apple's machines. While the development is certainly of interest to Hackintosh fans looking to build their own systems running Mac OS X, the inclusion of the new cards may provide some hints of graphics cards to be included in future Macs such as potential iMac and Mac Pro updates.
    Interestingly, the broad range of cards apparently fully supported under Mac OS X 10.6.7 is leading to speculation that Apple may be looking to support more off-the-shelf GPU options as opposed to the Mac-specific cards that have been used to date.

Article Link: Mac OS X 10.6.7 Adds Support for New AMD Graphics Cards

2. -Ken- macrumors regular

Excellent, now I can upgrade my Hackintosh's GPU.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Would definitely be great if they would just support off-the-shelf graphics cards. I'd be a little surprised, but I've given up saying that Apple will or won't do something just because of their prior decisions.

jW

4. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

5. the-ep macrumors member

This sounds interesting. Now I'm anticipating the iMac/MP refresh even more....

The possibility of off-the-shelf options looks even better, though. Potential expansion of MP life span?

6. PlipPlop macrumors 6502a

PlipPlop

Hmm I got crossfire 6970s wonder if will work in my hakintosh.

7. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Apple writes all the drivers for the cards. It supports, so that will probably never happen.

8. maxinc macrumors regular

Good. The new iMacs must be getting pretty close now. Can't wait!!!

9. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Excellent, more compatibility is what's hurting the Mac the most. This would be a great next step to make the Mac a more flexible, multi-purpose machine.

10. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Bye bye Nvidia. Twas interesting whilst it lasted.

11. RichardBeer macrumors regular

RichardBeer

I would love to see more cards supported off the shelf offering a wider choice of upgrade and gpu options. Although I'd be then concerned with the effect it may have on the integrated optimized nature of OS X and the hardware.

Would be nice to Nvidia being supported as well. If for some reason you wish to run Linux on your mac and you have an ATI card you are at a disadvantage as ATI make crap linux drivers.

12. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Looks and sounds great from those numbers.

Is Apple going to finally address their one major weak spot in their desktop machines?

I just hope this is a honest list, and they cards will be the exact same performance as the PC cards of the same model numbers.

They are not going to be Mobile versions, or Underclocked versions, but the true and honest cards they are supposed to be.

13. toddybody Guest

toddybody

*Children Screaming in background

Im no snob against AMD GPUS...but their CPU's are nearly 2 generations behind intel. I dont think Bulldozer is going to match the 1155 SB, much less the upcoming 2011 socket chips.

What I want to see is a 27inch iMac with an HD 6970 2GB...Whoa whoa wee wow:eek:

14. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

i also prefer intel over amd but i think the cheaper models may run on amd in some time

15. infidel69 macrumors regular

Awesome news, I recomend the ATI 5870. It can be found for only $200 and it more than holds it's own against the latest and greatest from Nvidia and ATI. It's only 6 percent slower than a 6950. The 6950 on the other hand can be flashed to a 6970 quite easily but it costs abot $260.

16. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

This would be great, but we all know Apple and the likelihood of this happening is beyond slim. I would think it would be more likely that Apple would just offer a wider range of CTO GPU options in their machines.

17. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i would love to buy an off the shelf gpu for half the price of a mac branded amd card. please let this be true then i will not sell my 2008 macpro

18. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

19. toddybody Guest

toddybody

Even then though...I dont think this means anything special for non-MacPro owners. Everything else gets the mGPU treatment:(

20. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

21. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

22. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

I wonder if this may imply the coming of that unicorn rider we all know and love, the 'headless mac" (aka xMac).

Removable drives, no screen, more powerful than an iMac, 1499.99.

23. Kranchammer macrumors member

Well, that's because all of Apple's other products are constrained by power and/or space requirements.

24. cube macrumors G5

AMD is ahead of Intel with the Fusion CPUs, even if the Llano core is not new.

AMD is ahead of Intel with multicore.

AMD is catching up in instruction set with Bulldozer.

Where AMD is behind is in metal gates (which are coming real soon from AMD), and in process geometry, but AMD does continuous improvement of their process.

25. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I think this is good news. Now, good Apple, could you optimize your drivers to be on par with their Windows counterparts?