Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
New icons and some backup software... I hope there's a better reason to upgrade than this!?
$129 for the best interface ever on what looks like some supreme backup software is quite an excellent price. Then throw in massive Finder improvements (stacks, quicklook, coverflow, spaces, and so on), a huge improvement to iCal and to Mail, and three hundred other refinements, and you have a heck of a deal. (I mean, just the addition of Core Animation is going to significantly change the way you interact with your computer.)

People have paid a lot more ($175 to $340) for a lot less (Windows Vista).

What backup software did they get with their $340 purchase? Oh, here it is (and note that it's only available on the expensive versions of Windows, not the "cheap" $175 version). How much would you pay to upgrade a piece of crap like that to an awesome tool like Time Machine? Negative $210?

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.

Attachments

• titlebarbuttons.jpg
    titlebarbuttons.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 2,918

T-Mac

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
Tennessee
Looking good!

As one who is waiting for Leopard to purchase my first Mac, my anticipation is growing with every new piece of information. I think it is starting to look very polished and more like an upgrade rather than an update!

Callaway

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2007
As one who is waiting for Leopard to purchase my first Mac, my anticipation is growing with every new piece of information. I think it is starting to look very polished and more like an upgrade rather than an update!

*shrug* you're saving $129 dollars or so (I could be off on the pricing). Tiger still is a great os.

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...
addprinter001.jpg

The selected 'tab' looks similar to that in Coda.

Yeah, that is the first feature of the new UI that really makes me gag... makes the toolbar seem cluttered IMO. Hope they change it.. just for me. ;) Overall, I think Leopard looks really nice,.. the unified interface looks great,.. I plan on purchasing it the day it is released.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah, that is the first feature of the new UI that really makes me gag... makes the toolbar seem cluttered IMO. Hope they change it.. just for me. ;) Overall, I think Leopard looks really nice,.. the unified interface looks great,.. I plan on purchasing it the day it is released.
You could buy it right now. You just can't have it until October. ;)

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I think it all looks great. One thing I would love to see though is some kind of neat (but quick) window draw effect similar to the one I have seen in Vista. Rather than a new window draw itself slightly awkwardly, why not have it fade in and slightly enlarge from 95% zoom - and all in 0.2 of a second so that it doesn't waste time, but enough to really highlight whereabouts the window is appearing. That would be awesome.!

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I'm eager, but I want it to be done right...in a way I'm glad Apple delayed it. I mean I'd like it now, but if its not ready, whats the point?

Rom Rim

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2007
Woof woof.
Ha! What do I see here? NeXTSTEP had darker title bars for active windows and lighter title bars for inactive ones. Jagwire had pinstripe title bars and transparent/translucent. Panther had who knew what. Tiger had a bit of both. Now the latest alley cat is going back to what NeXTSTEP had in the beginning. In fact the whole system is getting a NeXTSTEP feel about it.

Shows you how far you really get in 10 years. :D

But I don't care how it looks - I care how it works. And right now I'm not happy. No one has reason to be.

Pass the Kool-Aid.

PS. It amazes me that not a one of you discuss the underbody, the important features. I guess that more or less shows what your level of expertise is. Discuss the look of the windows? Sorry but that's pathetic.

Now pass the Kook-Aid back again please.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
PS. It amazes me that not a one of you discuss the underbody, the important features. I guess that more or less shows what your level of expertise is. Discuss the look of the windows? Sorry but that's pathetic.
You're a newbie, so maybe you haven't gotten the hang of the whole "topical thread" thing yet. This is about what Leopard looks like, and your none-too-subtle clue to that is the collection of images being the entire content of the posting.

There are plenty of places discussing the nuts and bolts. In fact, there's a big, fat article just a little lower on the page. Perhaps instead you should be asking to pass some reading glasses and should lay off the Kool-Aid for a while until your sugar high wears off so you can pay attention.

Musubi

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2006
U.S. / 東京 日本
Is the `My computer' icon in the Finder still iMac G4 ???
They've reimplemented something similar to the way System 7 (and earlier) used to show the machine type information in the About This Macintosh dialog; the computer icon is now representative of the system you are using.

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
I love the new interface more and more each time I look at it. October can't come soon enough.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Ha! What do I see here? NeXTSTEP had darker title bars for active windows and lighter title bars for inactive ones. Jagwire had pinstripe title bars and transparent/translucent. Panther had who knew what. Tiger had a bit of both. Now the latest alley cat is going back to what NeXTSTEP had in the beginning. In fact the whole system is getting a NeXTSTEP feel about it.

Shows you how far you really get in 10 years. :D

But I don't care how it looks - I care how it works. And right now I'm not happy. No one has reason to be.

Pass the Kool-Aid.

Now pass the Kook-Aid back again please.

Why should everyone have to be technical? Most Mac users aren't technical and don't need to be. Besides, I haven't seen any useful information about what's included in Leopard and it's tough to discuss what's not been disclosed.

I'm happy that Apple moved to a more stable and useful platform and fortunately, they keep replacing the internals until the operating system is actually good. Perhaps, Leopard will be better, finally.

elchicano99

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2007
Augh!

Leopard looks so so so crappy! Windows 3.1 was a huge improvement over this piece of garbage... where's the start-menu? THERE IS NONE! Where's the intricate and immersing Registry Editor? THERE IS NONE! Seriously guys, you only like OS X because you haven't used Windows enough obviously, you are all so naive. Vista is so frickin cool! You can cycle through your open apps with a cool 3D effect called Aero, and you have awesome Gadgets right on your desktop! I hear OS X has stupid widgets or something but they sound aweful. Honestly guys, give Windows a try, it'll blow you away.
:apple: sucks ass.

elchicano99

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2007
Tee hee... i'm kidding by the way, I mean... obviously... don't strike me down! :p

I can't wait for Leopard! Does anyone know if the speed increases will be felt for us PPC users? or mainly just for you intellies? Cuz I could seriously use a speed boost...

P.S... sorry if I made all your blood collectively boil , I couldn't resist :D

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
That pink menu bar may turn off some people
It's not pink - just transparent. If you use a blue desktop, the menu bar will be light blue.
Anyone know if they've gotten rid of the irritating "feature" of being unable to disable display of certain hours in iCal? Namely the ones in which I am sleeping, since I try to avoid appointments and other scheduled events during that time period?
Unless I misunderstand you, it's already possible to set the start and end time for your days, thus not showing your sleep time. Afternoon naps may be a problem though ;)

ChaosAngel

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2005
UK
I also think it is looking great. IMO it gets better with every new seed.

One thing though, how is the performance? Im a G4 (Last PB Revision) user and want to know how Leopard will be running?

Anyone got any performance data yet or is there debugging stuff enabled that is currently slowing it down?

vohdoun

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
Far away from Earth.
That pink menu bar may turn off some people... I think the whole thing is looking good myself overall.

Bare in mind that the pink is coming from the wallpaper. Which will give you the illusion that the menubar is pink.

Truthfully I think that space wall is awful, and it really does not compliment the whole look at all.

You'd think Apple could create better space walls. I've seen better space walls from hobbyists.

It's not pink - just transparent. If you use a blue desktop, the menu bar will be light blue.

It seems strange about that. Like the menubar seems to bump up the contrast or hue when something is below it rather than the neutral colour of whatever image is below.

Blue seems to become cyan like and so on...

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Apart from the weirdness of the 3-d dock on the side of the screen, it looks really sharp. I just upgraded to Tiger and I'm loving it, so Leopard should be something else again. (I assume Leopard will work on an 867 MHz Titanium Powerbook with more lifting paint than a burnt out car wreck?)

Iroganai

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2003
the computer icon is now representative of the system you are using.
Thanks, that's nice ! Then there's no need to replace the icon file deep inside /System/CoreServices/ anymore to show the Mac I'm using in the Finder :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.