Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

IMG_2354_400.jpg

Tokyo, Japan

Apple Leopard launch events kicked off today, and have made their way around the globe. Macitynet.it posts a gallery from the Leopard launch in Rome. Pictured above is the line for the Apple Store in Tokyo, Japan.

As of this writing, the east cost of the U.S. is about to hit 6 p.m. as people line up for their free T-Shirts and copies of Leopard. While many received their pre-orders of Leopard today, some saw unexpected FedEx delays -- the delays were reportedly at the request of Apple to push delivery closer to the 6 p.m. launch time.

Readers are posting their first impressions with Leopard into this thread in our OS X forums.

A large collection of impressions have also been posted by Engadget, including:

- Install took 3.3GB of space on top of existing data
- If you have multiple browser windows open in different spaces and applications with links... if you click a link, it'll open in the browser in your space, not in the browser in another space.
- Mail is DEFINITELY faster in a lot of our folders containing thousands of messages.
- Leopard supports A2DP
- Terminal has themes
- Coverflow works for fonts.

Article Link

ttutsch

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2005
Toronto, ON
I am finding the system keeps pausing since I installed Leopard and my CPU usage is way up. It particularly seems to pause when I select an item on the dock for the first time. Anyone else?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I am finding the system keeps pausing since I installed Leopard and my CPU usage is way up. It particularly seems to pause when I select an item on the dock for the first time. Anyone else?

I noticed a lot of hard drive swapping initially. I turned off spotlight indexing, which didn't help. But eventually the swapping stopped, and seems fine now.

arn

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Did you check CPU usage and what processes were running?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Holy crap. Is Tokyo normally that busy or is it partially for the event?

the guy that posted it said this

"Here are some pics of the release in Tokyo Japan 5 hours ago. What a blast....I was number 51...2 hour before release. The line ended up taking 2 blocks. I would say up around 700 people in the line. They served us hot starbucks coffee as we waited in the rain"

The pictures from Rome were pretty impressive too.

arn

bugfaceuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
I noticed a lot of hard drive swapping initially. I turned off spotlight indexing, which didn't help. But eventually the swapping stopped, and seems fine now.

arn

I had the same thing, first couple of hours were lumpy but it's been sweet since.

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Regent street had more people! like 1500 people I swear! It was so fun though I was 4th in line :D All the Apple staff counted down and was screaming and cheering us on as we walked in, scary to have 100 people screaming taking photos of you and cheering. The place was packed! I got 2 t shirts hehe (sorry guys :p) Running leopard now, and Its such an improvement, I am truly proud of Apple. Apart from the fact many many people queue jumped and stood there for 10 minutes while others spend 3 hours there. Worth it though :) Cant wait for 10.6 :D

beaker68

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
All I can say is WOW. I'm up in the Great White North of Canada and, dont' have a apple store only a few up here and way to far to drive too, but do have the Auth Apple Store which I'll be hitting here soon and they have stuffed Leporards for the give away.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The line is much longer than I thought in Tyson's corner VA Apple Store. They are selling tons of stuff... Seeing iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro being sold besides Leopard.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

It's probably indexing. First time switching to 10.4 takes processor power to index your files too.

somberlaine

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Fairfax, VA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

u get to pick which size t shirt u want

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Time to upgrade/buy your Mac mini

Not completely "launch event" related, but I'm willing to bet that a lot of people were waiting for Leopard before buying/upgrading their Mac mini. After all, Leopard + iLife '08 is nearly 33% of the cost of the entry-level Mac mini.

I just ordered mine. From G4/1.42GHz to Core 2 Duo/1.83GHz... should be nice. :D

And if anyone needs an aluminum mount for their Mac mini, contact me! ;)

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
I pre-ordered leopard, and checking FedEx tracking, it says it was delivered today at 12:40PM. I'll be installing it the minute I get home! :) That's not until after 7:00pm.. :(

Decrepit

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2007
Foothills to the Rocky Mountains
My copy is "at central receiving."

The school software store closed at 4:30, before the central receiving would deliver the packages. So I wait until Monday.

But on Monday, I will have it for only $70-80. And I can actually study this weekend. :)

HailToTheVictor

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
I got in line in the University of Michigan store right at 6, and there were well over 100 people in front of me, but I got mine:D

$69

breal8406

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2006
Atherton,CA/Minneapolis,MN
Up and running Leopard

Up and running Leopard. Just used default installation config and no problems so far. Spotlight is re-indexing the hard drive and I've put Time Machine to work on it's first backup.

Woot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.