Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Oh Mr. Enlightened One, what's the philosophy, then? To turn your 27" iMac into a 27" non-touch screen iPad?

No. It's for those, who don't need to deal with finder but just want to do some little work on their computer.

I'm not very sure but some people are not that educated or not computer literates to deal with any kind of stuff.
Yesterday, my neighbour called me and told me how her wife f*cked his computer.
All he could tell me about the data on his computer when asked about it was:

"I swear mate, it was fine last night and then this bitch did something to it this morning. I don't care about the stuff.
(Pointing at the screen with fingers) there were some icons, you know icons mate? All I had was 6 to 7 icons and that was it. Just get this working. ***** those icons."

I won't call these people dumb, cause everybody is not supposed to be a computer literate. People just don't need to be technical at all.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Windows has solved this already, possibly before you were born....

When you "cut", file explorer (finder) hides the files.

When you "paste", they're moved to the new directory.

If you don't "paste", the hidden files become unhidden - they're not lost.

This is so obvious Microsoft probably didn't even bother patenting it.

You really are a windows troll aren't you? Everytime, I see a post from you, its about how windows had this feature and now people are copying it.

IE8 had something 3 years before Chrome and Safari, etc.

Cut and Paste is a GUI based method for >mv in unix with a slightly different implementation than drag and drop. In my opinion cut and paste is risky and people have been able to lose a lot of stuff that way. Not everyone is a computer literate to understand each and everything.

Drap and drop is safer and much intuitive than cut and paste.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Cut and Paste is a GUI based method for >mv in unix with a slightly different implementation than drag and drop. In my opinion cut and paste is risky and people have been able to lose a lot of stuff that way. Not everyone is a computer literate to understand each and everything.

Drap and drop is safer and much intuitive than cut and paste.
Who has lost stuff due to cut and paste? Do you know of anyone?

I still don't see why people don't get this. Cut & Paste is EXACTLY the same as drag & drop, but without having to use the mouse/trackpad. It's so much more convenient when you want to move something but haven't forward-planned by opening the folder you want to move the files to. What's so hard to grasp? You can move/copy using the mouse, why can't you do the same thing using keyboard shortcuts?

Like I said before, I've never lost data using Windows Cut & Paste. I have, however, lost data using alt-drag on the Mac. It was an older version of OS X and I don't think the bug is there any more, but the fact of the matter is there is NO difference under the hood in how it works.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Who has lost stuff due to cut and paste? Do you know of anyone?

Blogs don't post news that a random person lost data because of Cut/Paste.
If you want to know who exactly lost the data, it was Tim, Joe, Marry, John, Adam, etc. As for me, I have; not because I don't know how to use computers; just because I wasn't paying attention and was busy with calls myself.

I still don't see why people don't get this. Cut & Paste is EXACTLY the same as drag & drop, but without having to use the mouse/trackpad. It's so much more convenient when you want to move something but haven't forward-planned by opening the folder you want to move the files to. What's so hard to grasp? You can move/copy using the mouse, why can't you do the same thing using keyboard shortcuts?

Cut/Paste is not same as drag&drop. With drag and drop, have the data in your hands' you know where it is; whereas with cut/paste, the data is still there until and unless you have another cut; and after that it's gone.
As much as I want cut/paste, I know Apple is worrying about a different set of customers. You really think cut and paste is a big deal for Apple? They can do it with hardly any effort. It's just that its a risk associated step which imo, Apple is trying to avoid.

Like I said before, I've never lost data using Windows Cut & Paste. I have, however, lost data using alt-drag on the Mac. It was an older version of OS X and I don't think the bug is there any more, but the fact of the matter is there is NO difference under the hood in how it works.

You're not the world. There are other people who are not capable of handling data that way. Also, people make mistakes; one must remember that.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Cut/Paste is not same as drag&drop. With drag and drop, have the data in your hands' you know where it is; whereas with cut/paste, the data is still there until and unless you have another cut; and after that it's gone.
What version of Windows were you running? If I cut a folder in Windows, then forget about it and cut another folder, it doesn't do anything malicious to the original folder. That would be insane. It's designed to be fool-proof!
You're not the world. There are other people who are not capable of handling data that way. Also, people make mistakes; one must remember that.
Like I said, Cut & Paste works *exactly* the same way as a drag and drop. Or it does for me, on every version of Windows I've used so far (from '95 all the way through to XP). What would be the point in Windows deleting the original files until the move has completed? I'd love to know which OS you were using when you lost those files.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

LOVE the new Spaces feature and the way it's integrated with Exposé. The merging with iOS is almost complete. The current build works nicely but isn't optimized at this early stage. My MBP's fans go pretty crazy when running Lion, so I'm only in there for short periods.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Mac users, try pressing the command key while dragging a file from one place to another. Unlike Windows' implementation, it copies then deletes (so you WON'T lose files). Simple.

EDIT: This is when you are Cutting/Pasting files from one drive to another.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Mac users, try pressing the command key while dragging a file from one place to another. Unlike Windows' implementation, it copies then deletes (so you WON'T lose files). Simple.
Again, I'd love to know where this idea came from that Windows deletes the files before they are moved. It doesn't delete a file until it has copied successfully.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Again, I'd love to know where this idea came from that Windows deletes the files before they are moved. It doesn't delete a file until it has copied successfully.

I'm just quoting what they were saying here. Also, it used to do that on previous versions of Windows (Vista and 7 don't seem to do that).

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I'm just quoting what they were saying here. Also, it used to do that on previous versions of Windows (Vista and 7 don't seem to do that).

I don't think the move or cut/paste behavior has changed in Windows since 3.1.

If you cut a file (like doing a deferred mv command) it waits until it has the destination before doing the operation. if you cancel or never actually paste the file still exists in it original location. You can verify this my looking at the file location in a command prompt.

Last edited:

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
How can you say it used to do that on previous versions of Windows, when you just said you were just quoting others?

I'm a full-on Mac user and have been since the days of the Mac Plus... But I have also used Windows machines at work for nearly as long. Seeing all this fanboy innuendo I just realise how much bu11s41t there is out there. Windows has never had a cut and paste feature that deleted the original file *before* the file has been transferred.

:rolleyes:

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Very good point you have there. Apple have made it inconsistent. Either they make all buttons "up" for selected, or none.

If they're going to keep the "slider" idea, they need to make it look more like a slider. Everything about it graphically screams WRONG. :p

Did you noticed that this kind of sliding feature is more or less for turning the OS touch friendly? I think they r going step by step with this GUI changes and at the end Steve will say on the Mactouch pro presentation something like this: " we did it since the introduction of Lion, we design the whole Os Touch friendly... This ladies and gentlemen is the only truly touch Full working OS in the world... Isn't it revolutionary and magical?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Did you noticed that this kind of sliding feature is more or less for turning the OS touch friendly? I think they r going step by step with this GUI changes and at the end Steve will say on the Mactouch pro presentation something like this: " we did it since the introduction of Lion, we design the whole Os Touch friendly... This ladies and gentlemen is the only truly touch Full working OS in the world... Isn't it revolutionary and magical?

No. The UI elements would have to double in size before becoming touch friendly.

Just because the OS is adopting an iOS-like appearance in places doesn't mean it will get touch. OS X will always be for the mouse; iOS for touch.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
That would make sense if they were doing the same thing in iOS... But they're not! There are loads of apps (including their own) that have "radio buttons" (a row of buttons where you select one of them and the others pop UP)... I've never seen this reverse-button-slider thing applied anywhere. It's certainly not in UIKit.

I'd be surprised if this makes it to the commercial release. It's horrible.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
How can you say it used to do that on previous versions of Windows, when you just said you were just quoting others?

I'm a full-on Mac user and have been since the days of the Mac Plus... But I have also used Windows machines at work for nearly as long. Seeing all this fanboy innuendo I just realise how much bu11s41t there is out there. Windows has never had a cut and paste feature that deleted the original file *before* the file has been transferred.

:rolleyes:

I never said it "deleted" the file before it transferred (how would that even work???). What it did was that it moved block by block (is that the correct wording?). Lets say you were moving the file to an external Thumb Drive, it cripples the file on both the HDD and the Thumb Drive if you just pull the Thumb Drive out.

When I said quoting, I meant I was basing what people said about Windows Vista/7. I also don't like being called a "fanboy". I have also used Mac, Windows, DOS machines from around the same time. , as well as UNIX machines from before.

AnonMac50

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
I never said it "deleted" the file before it transferred (how would that even work???). What it did was that it moved block by block (is that the correct wording?). Lets say you were moving the file to an external Thumb Drive, it cripples the file on both the HDD and the Thumb Drive if you just pull the Thumb Drive out.
Well all I can say is that I've never had that experience. If there's an error during a move then the original file was never deleted. And even if that did happen, how would that be any different from alt-dragging the file to a USB drive and then pulling the drive out during the move? What I'm trying to say is, why are people moaning about "Cut & Paste" when it's exactly the same as alt-drag?

When I said quoting, I meant I was basing what people said about Windows Vista/7. I also don't like being called a "fanboy". I have also used Mac, Windows, DOS machines from around the same time. , as well as UNIX machines from before.
I didn't actually call you a fanboy, but I was suggesting that your comment was a typical fanboy comment, since you were basing your opinion of Windows on hear-say. Perhaps if you'd have said you knew first-hand rather than saying you were quoting other people, I wouldn't have suggested it to be innuendo.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Well all I can say is that I've never had that experience. If there's an error during a move then the original file was never deleted. And even if that did happen, how would that be any different from alt-dragging the file to a USB drive and then pulling the drive out during the move? What I'm trying to say is, why are people moaning about "Cut & Paste" when it's exactly the same as alt-drag?
Because alt-drag duplicates, and cmd-drag moves.

I didn't actually call you a fanboy, but I was suggesting that your comment was a typical fanboy comment, since you were basing your opinion of Windows on hear-say. Perhaps if you'd have said you knew first-hand rather than saying you were quoting other people, I wouldn't have suggested it to be innuendo.

My apologies then.

AnonMac50

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Because alt-drag duplicates, and cmd-drag moves.
alt-drag also moves when the default is copy. Therefore when you are moving between drives, alt-drag will move instead of copy. I actually didn't realise cmd-drag did a move as well...

My apologies then.
And I'm sorry for misinterpreting it. Let's call the whole thing off :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.