Mac OS X Lion: 'Classic' Mail View Available, New Finder on Video

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 26, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

We've compiled a couple of more notes of interest on the Apple's upcoming Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

- Classic Mail: While Apple is pushing the new iPad-inspired Mac OS X Lion Mail application, we've learned that Apple also offers a "Classic Layout" checkbox in the Mail settings which reverts the interface back to the familiar Mail interface.

- Finder: AppleInsider posts this video which shows Lion in action ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRoMIuzAfbc ). It demonstrates new Finder features including:
    Apple launched the developer preview of Mac OS X Lion on Thursday. The public release is expected this summer. We've opened a Mac OS X Lion forum for questions and discussion about Apple's new operating system.

Article Link: Mac OS X Lion: 'Classic' Mail View Available, New Finder on Video

2. macnerd93 macrumors 6502a

macnerd93

:D I'm loving Lion its an awesome build and very stable to be honest, unlike snow leopard builds of the past:D

3. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

I'm loving the new Mail, had no issues with it so far.
    The finder is growing on me.

Also, is there any way I can get 'Devices' back to the top of the sidebar list?

But so far, Lion is pretty good.
    I'm even using Safari in full screen mode right now ;-)

4. therocket macrumors member

I kinda like the one corner resizing. It seems better and less easy to accidentally resize a window. Anyone with me on that one? Plus you don't get those ugly double arrowed cursors.

although, maybe it is just because I am used to it.:apple:

5. ccsicecoke macrumors regular

This build is a memory hog which easily eats up 3GB RAM. I'm lucky to have a 4GB RAM in MBA

6. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

It runs great… just needs that claimed OpenGL 3.2 support and I'll be happy!

7. ynk1121 macrumors member

In the beginning it looked like there were only 12 apps in that folder... How are you supposed to know if there is more than what can fit in the window if the scroll bar disappears??? Stupid move if you ask me. This isn't a phone OS where screen realestate is lacking.

8. deannnnn, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2011

deannnnn macrumors 68020

deannnnn

I dislike hidden scrollbars very, very much.

I'm with you.

9. Hellhammer Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

I'm sure someone will come up with a Terminal command to make them sticky or even similar to Snow Leopard's.

10. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

It's most likely a debug build - not fully optimized.

11. Nobita macrumors 6502

Me dislike:

- grey icons
    - anywhere resizing

like:
    - files organisations (but i hope there's a way to bring it back to the unorganized view)
    - icons when seeing other macs in the network (that mbp icon seems to be new)
    - toggling of the view modes
    - new quick view

And this goes without saying... I hope they keep the speed like Snow Leopard's. After upgrading from Leopard to SL, Finder is wayyyy more responsive. I hope they keep it that way.

12. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I can't help but feel like some of these UI elements don't fit together completely. Like the scroll bars, or the old dock style with the iOS style icon views above it (from other screen shots online), etc.

I feel like Apple is holding back on the UI. They will probably do something with that old style aluminum interface. Shouldn't we be seeing Marble now that it slipped from Snow Leopard? Or was that scrapped?

These quirks could easily feel integrated with a shift in the overall UI design. I also feel like there will be a UI change in iOS 5.0 that they will show next week. Certain things will remain the same, but the baby blues, etc will probably change. Something that really pops like crazy on the retina displays, and that perhaps could help unify the iPhone, iPad, and Mac just a little bit more. They won't be the same, but feel more cohesive.

13. Bodypainter macrumors regular

this is a wonderful example of how extremely manipulative apple is. notice that on windows it has always been possible to resize windows on every corner? an notice, that most windows on windows can be fullsize?

well, i still remember very clearly how bad this is, it confuses the user... no one needs fullscreen... windows is bad, because the apple concept of only resizing on the bottom right corner is more logical bla bla bla.

and what is the new INNOVATION now???

14. JLL macrumors regular

Or one could just enable visible scrollbars in System Preferences :eek:

15. JamesPsyKocsis macrumors newbie

Love it

Wasn't really too excited about the upgrade until I saw this video. Good stuff. Get a designer on those resize arrows, boys... CHOP CHOP!!

16. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

"While Apple is pushing the new iPad-inspired Mac OS X Lion Mail application..."

It needs to be the other way around. The iPad ABSOLUTELY NEEDS an OS X inspired Mail Application, so features like SPAM marking, text formatting, etc. I should be able to select emails without them being rendered -- which with the lack of SPAM marking is a problem.

17. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Marble was never a new UI, it was the codename for Xcode 4.

The grey "aluminum" look has been updated (it's lighter, matching iTunes) so it's not going anywhere.

18. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Holy ***** I LOVE the new finder! The scroll bars are amazing, I love the Windows-ish way of placing file types in different categories with a line, and the Cover-Flow-ish viewing of icons is awesome... I just wish Cover-Flow didn't have that huge black scrollbar at the bottom, takes up a lot of space, why not a disappearing scroll bar as well?

I really hope the Finder doesn't remember window sizes for every single folder separately. I hate that each finder window opens as a different size! Can someone confirm how this works in Lion?

I just don't get how the "icon view buttons" work. Are they "popped up" when they are pressed or what? I thought it makes sense that when you press a button, it stays pressed "in" and all the other ones "popped up", doesn't it?

19. nelmat macrumors 6502a

What a pointless rant. U comment on any corner resize as being copied from windows! Is that all u can come up with?! How is the quick look function in windoze? Oh yes, there isn't one. How about cover flow, expose, spotlight, built in cloud computing, easy networking, app store, FaceTime, time machine, not having to deal with constant pop ups from the os, the bundled iLife suite, the complete lack of viruses ( shall I go on? )

Manipulative? How about having to buy and subscribe to services just to be able to protect the os from viruses, or an operating system that costs five times more to upgrade?

20. nelmat macrumors 6502a

It's a slider, with the raised slide button behind the selected option.

21. Lampwig, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

Lampwig macrumors newbie

I am liking a lot of these things also the woaaaaaah... just noticed that Safari has auto correct built into it now :O One more feature.... type in alot and teh they auto correct, but anyways back to the point I really don't like 4 finger and three finger gesture changes, i would rather have
    4 finger up-show desktop/ i really miss this feature, and I can't find any way to change it back
    the current method for 4 finger down just brings the same type of windows into expose, I would rather have 4 finger down = mission control, With safari, I personally do not use new windows (who needs more windows when you have tabs) and the new 4 finger down doesn't seem to cut it.

And... the four finger pinch seems very unnatural, maybe Apple just hasn't gotten the software right yet, but, four finger pinch in seems to work flawlessly, and while your in launchpad, 4 finger pinch out seems to work too, but I am getting lots of problems with 4 finger outward pinch when I am not in launchpad, it seems to get confused with mission control... or just doesn't respond...

3 finger for navigate/animation for safari/notice animation only works with 2 fingers

but anyways... I am loving this build. :)

ps: sorry for bad grammar...

22. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Fullscreen in OS X is different than in windows. The Maximize function merely expands whatever you are looking at into a giant window. In OS X, it's a new GUI that's designed for the full screen (just like in iPhoto '11.)

IMO the innovation in lion is in the less visual things: bringing versioning to mere mortals and application persistence/restore.

23. Lurk macrumors member

24. MrFusion, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2011

MrFusion macrumors 6502a

where are the colors

Did you notice the colors, or better yet the lack thereof?

It's just like iTunes: colors. I want some colors in my OS. Not all this gray, dull stuff.
    Hey Steve, I am sorry you're sick man, and I hope you get better soon. But don't work out your depression on us. Give us back our colors!

25. Weepul macrumors regular

Is the "classic" Finder window style gone? (I'm not sure of its official name.) After all, the capsule-shaped control in the upper right that toggled it before isn't there...

I use that style on all my windows. This could be bad. :eek: