Mac OS X Lion to Come on DVD?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple Bitch notes that a new placeholder has appeared on Amazon's German site suggesting that Apple will be distributing Mac OS X Lion on DVD when it is released later this year.
A listing for the latest version of the Mac operating system, OS X 10.7 Lion, which is due for release this summer, has appeared on the German Amazon website. The significance of the listing is that the OS is apparently being offered on DVD, rather than on the USB thumb drive, upon which Apple had begun to offer the Snow Leopard OS with the purchase of the new MacBook Air models last year.
No price or availability date is given on the listing.

Amazon's site is a rather frequent source for product speculation given the company's tendency to post placeholders based on rumor in advance of official release information, and Amazon's German site seems to be one of the most active of Amazon's regional arms in this regard. Consequently, we hesitate to read too much into this speculation and are posting it on Page 2 primarily for interest and discussion at this time.

The distribution mechanism for Mac OS X Lion is certainly up for discussion given recent developments in Apple's hardware and software offerings. With the redesigned MacBook Air lacking an optical drive and proving to be a popular notebook for consumers, Apple's shift to a small USB drive for backup software on the machine has led to speculation that the company could adopt that method entirely for Mac OS X Lion distribution.

In addition, Apple has been delivering developer seeds of Mac OS X Lion via the company's new Mac App Store, which launched in early January. Consequently, it seems likely that Apple will at least offer the option of Mac OS X Lion as a download purchase through that platform.

Article Link: Mac OS X Lion to Come on DVD?

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
It might be for cost reasons. A DVD + Mac App Store distribution model reaches everyone more cheaply than a pure USB or USB + Mac App Store distribution model. The Mac App Store being the primary distribution source for MacBook Air users.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
I'm expecting both a retail DVD release as well as a downloadable release. I'll personally be getting the DVD for easier install on multiple machines.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Sounds good. If I crash my machine on the way, I'll have this to take care of it. In my opinion, OS's should come on DVD until the time, you can reinstall them from any kind of crashing by booting in as root in the safe mode.

Ommid

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
Ooh, the rumor mill tonight is crazy!

maybe Amazon don't have a USB option for that field!

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Certainly can't be Mac App Store only, because then if you skipped Snow Leopard you'd have to purchase it before you could download Lion.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
don't have those Amazon placeholders a pretty bad reliability index?

Anyway ... I think for things like an OS there will always be the need for some kind of external medium (e.g. if you install from scratch - e.g. harddrive died and you need to install a new OS) ... but USB stick would be a nice alternative to DVD (I'm not using my DVD drive for anything and might want to skip it in the next update if there is an option to get a second drive instead of DVD)

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

DavidLeblond said:
Certainly can't be Mac App Store only, because then if you skipped Snow Leopard you'd have to purchase it before you could download Lion.
No.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
I don't want a boring DVD. I want Lion to come on one of those cool MacBook Air-style memory sticks, only compatible with ThunderBolt.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

No.
Alright. Say it was Mac App Store only and I had Leopard. How would I go about purchasing Lion?

Ommid

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
I don't want a boring DVD. I want Lion to come on one of those cool MacBook Air-style memory sticks, only compatible with ThunderBolt.
Amazing, and then what? Maybe use it twice in your machine's life?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i bet u half the people wouldn't even understand how to install a OS without a physical disc, not everyone is as involved with stuff like that.

if i were to ask my family what "mount an image" means none of them would know what i'm talking about lol

Kar98

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2007
Durrr, Macbook Air customers received a USB drive so they wouldn't be forced to get the "optional" optical drive.

/got all my install media for OS X and Win 7 on bootable USB drives

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Too early to quit dvd altogether:confused:

If its up to me to should throw that medium into the wastebin asap.
I agree, but the simple fact is that DVDs are still dirt cheap compared to USB drives. Give it a couple years. DVD is scheduled to be dust in 2015, anyway. Probably sooner if the price of 4 & 8 GB thumb drives become super-cheap.

Fear not: the thumb-drive IS the next media step unless some huge player in the industry pushes for something else.

BluRay will hang on until 2020, or whenever large GB thumb-drives are cheaper than such disks. The moment those chips are manufactured like Skittles, they'll cost nothing and be universal. Goodbye all mechanical garbage, please. (Aside from fans)

tcreasy

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple Bitch? Really? Lovely name.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Amazon is known to post a lot of wrong things in the past, (iWork '11 anyone?) but this seems pretty legit. I burned my install to a DVD to use it, and it worked just fine. I'd assume that this is the last upgrade on a DVD though. OTA upgrades FTW.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Big deal. I'd be very surprised if it's not offered on DVD - it's surely cheaper and easier than USB drive. I'm sure the USB drive for MacBook Air was simply because that machine has no optical drive. Surely? :eek:

superericla

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
Depending on what kind of memory it is that could make for really short installation times. :p

scottgroovez

macrumors regular
May 20, 2010
DVD's are cheap, people have DVD drives makes sense to have it available as ONE of the formats. Why do users other than MBA owners need to have it come on a thumb drive?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I hope Apple does the "...go where the puck is going." and provide Lion on a flash drive. I would use it even if I was using a Mac with a DVD drive built-in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.