Mac OS X on a PC?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacDailyNews posts more information from the subscription Fortune article which talks to Steve Jobs about the state of Apple... which also drops this tidbit from the original article:

Most tantalizing of all is scuttlebutt that three of the biggest PC makers are wooing Jobs to let them license OS X and adapt it to computers built around standard Intel chips. Why? They want to offer customers, many of whom are sick of the security problems that go with Windows and tired of waiting for Longhorn, an alternative
Mac OS X on Intel has been a long-debated topic, and an area that Apple has considered prior to the adoption of the PowerPC 970 from IBM.

blasto333

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2004
I would be all for it. It is perfect timing. Windows is terrible, insecure and I think people are really getting sick of it. If apple waits too long, Longhorn will be out and people might give that a chance and not think about apple.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Maybe Steve is getting a second chance to license his OS.

This is really the only way I see Apple getting a significant marketshare.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Oh God no. I think if this were to happen, that would be the start of viruses and spyware on OS X. This would make Apple rich, but it'd really hit hard on Apple's Hardware I think.

I'm happy with the way things are now.

Fishes,
narco.

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I'm all for this. If I could run OS X on my PC I would certainly do it. The hardware in my PC is much faster than the hardware in my 12'' PB.

LaMerVipere

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Chicago
narco said:
Oh God no. I think if this were to happen, that would be the start of viruses and spyware on OS X. This would make Apple rich, but it'd really hit hard on Apple's Hardware I think.

I'm happy with the way things are now.

Fishes,
narco.
My thoughts exactly.

And who wants some crappy $300 beige box running OS X? Ew.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
No No NO! this cannot happen, if it does, sure for the first few years everybody will be fine and dandy but then BAM reality sets in and the hackers will have another field day with os x... gnaw... plus os x makes the mac what a mac is... like steve says "we combine the HARDWARE (keyword) with the software"

mkjellman

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2003
While I think Apple may have issues with their hardware, I don't think it would hurt them that much. I buy Apple products because they look great and preform for the most part excellent. I also don't know if many Windows Users would be very happy with a transition to OS X on X86 processors. I assume the applications could just be recompiled but think of how many applications would be incompatible even though they have X86 as the architecture. Apple could have to find a way to launch exe files in OS X I assume for OS X on X86 to be successful.

Minkintosh

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2004
Claremont, CA
blasto333 said:
I would be all for it. It is perfect timing. Windows is terrible, insecure and I think people are really getting sick of it. If apple waits too long, Longhorn will be out and people might give that a chance and not think about apple.
Then they need a mac mini :D

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Frisco said:
Maybe Steve is getting a second chance to license his OS.

This is really the only way I see Apple getting a significant marketshare.
marketshare of the the OS world, yes, but what will come of apple hardware? why buy a 3300 powermac when you can have the same OS experience for much less? i'd still buy the powermac, but plenty of people won't. apple hardware will become even more "BMW" in the computer world. i hope apple knows what its doing...

BlackLilyNinja

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2004
it will never happen

and I mean never. The closest we may get is he may allow PC makers to create PPC systems capable of running osx. but I doubt that too.

september29th

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2003
Detroit
I don't see any harm in putting out the OS. If they would... i'm sure it would be a very heafty charge. $399 or so... only to offset the money lost in hardware. Also, giving people the option to get a Mac (the mini) for a 100 dollars more.

.mCr.

homeshire

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Ohio, looking toward Germany
early on responses seem 50-50. let me add my weight to those who say "Oh hell no!"

it would be a paradigm shift. you don't do that casually, as this article is implying. overnight osx becomes commodity.

on the other hand, great money might be had, so who knows.

iJaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2004
I am sceptical about this :cool:
However, I don't know if Longhorn will be so revolutionary, even Dvorak calls it SP3 since so much is being removed compared with the original statements! :eek:
So, there may be a big market for Mac Os X86!

pjkelnhofer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2003
Boston
Haven't there been rumors around for some time that Apple already has a version of OS X ready to run on x86 systems?

I always thought Apple makes it money on hardware by having better software. This would really change Apple into an OS/software company. They would take a huge hit on PowerMac sales especially. I think the iMac, iBook, and PowerBooks can stand on their own, but a lot of people video people would by high-end P4's and Athlon 64's instead of PowerMacs if the could run Final Cut on them.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
No, no, no. :mad: A fairly homogeneous hardware platform is one of Apple's greatest advantages. And one of the reasons why OS X is rock solid. If it should be adjusted to fit a wide variety of architectures it would probably degenerate quickly...

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Apple Episode II : Return of the Clones

Unless Apple can make OS X crippled in some way on an Intel chip, they are setting themselves up for the disaster of the 90's again....

But Steve is here and he won't let that happen.... no way......

Even though Power Computing had a sweet-ass tower on their hands that even to this day, if you put an upgrade card in it, rivales all G4 based Macs.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
the only way, and the only way this would work, is if the licensing scheme forced the PC developers to change enough code so that it was essentially OS X - like, but not fully up to par with the Mac version, simply this would help give an advantage to the Mac platform as a whole, while at the same time offering an alternative to Windows, however i dont know if such programing would be possible, i do not want OS X on X86 because then it would be way to popular, stolen, and filled with spyware/malware/viruses

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
Not Gonna Happen, but ...

I don't understand why H-P, for example, would want OS-X on Intel when they can have the same market presence by licensing and rebranding the actual Apple box, just like they currently do with the iPod. No way would Jobs allow Apple clones, but I'm sure he'd have no problem sharing the marketing and branding with a partner.

Who wants to be in the PC business anyway -- the margins suck and Dell will always undercut you on price. But if you just want a presence in the marketplace, sell the H-P (or Toshiba or Samsung) Mac mini and focus your corporate R&D on the high margin servers.