MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
AppleInsider provides some details on future integration of Quicktime Streaming Server (QTSS) into the upcoming Mac OS X Panther Server.

The newest version of QTSS is said to said to be fully integrated into the Mac OS X Server Admin tools. Also described is a new application called "Quicktime Streaming Server Publisher" -- which will allow easy publication of Quicktime Media to the web. This includes Quicktime movies as well as grouping MP3 and MP4 audio files into easily edited playlists.

These tools will be of most interest to content creators and server admins.

Tobsen

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2002
Germany
Quicktime Streaming Server Publisher was already previewed at WWDC. There was also a QT stream at Apple's website of the QT session.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
This particular news interests me as we publish alot of video content to clients and prospects. The ability to in any way increase the ease or throughput of this content is valuable.

It looks as if Panther Server is in our imediate fututure.

Rocketman

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
Sounds like the Xserve is a media server

It really is sounding more and more to me that the niche Apple is trying to fill withthe xServe is that of media server - sort of a swiss army knife for the Web server market.

As a product develoment manager for a web based product, I see the Xserve as a solution for everything web - from serving HTML and PHP, to handling Web Services and integrating with mySQL databases. Add to this the ability to stream media and the package is all available at a very attractive price and because it's Apple, I know it is an integrated and smooth functioning package.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Re: Sounds like the Xserve is a media server

Originally posted by amichalo
It really is sounding more and more to me that the niche Apple is trying to fill withthe xServe is that of media server - sort of a swiss army knife for the Web server market.

As a product develoment manager for a web based product, I see the Xserve as a solution for everything web - from serving HTML and PHP, to handling Web Services and integrating with mySQL databases. Add to this the ability to stream media and the package is all available at a very attractive price and because it's Apple, I know it is an integrated and smooth functioning package.

There is a great opportunity now that M$ keeps dropping the security ball....

I know several small businesses that would be happy to switch. They don't care what the server runs, as long as it runs reliably.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Wow, this is GREAT news! And that Apple makes all this so seemless without extra fees after having the equipment and software. Problem is they need to make this known, actually MARKET it which sometimes is unlike Apple. Clearly this idea is brilliant and ahead of it's time, Microsuck will copy it with WMP and crappy Windoze Server, it'll be extra sucky with sucky sauce (like everything Microsuck) and they'll be hailed as the first to do it and the dumb Windoze buying public will buy into it.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I wanted to stream something to a relative, so I was going to use QTSS. But I needed OS X Server. I am now (trying to) using Quicktime Broadcaster. I think that the coming integration of QTSS and Panther is great. Apple is REALLY good at integration.

wms121

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2003
Jinux URL...

someone told me the last URL I posted wasn't valid...

Oh well..

Sun will do that.

They are already overworking the developers...even those of us
who are unemployed. (YES email me your Mac OSX project)

Jinux (Linux core with a Java GUI..web site at sun..)

http://jinux.dev.java.net

<--watches daytime HDTV ; )

jt23

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2002
MPEG-4 DRM

I know, I know -- DRM is a four-letter word around here :)

But the fact is, the content providers we work with won't let us license their products unless they are protected. Thus we are planning to use MS Server 2003, WM9 (the Mac client will be out soon), and the MS DRM system.

Does anyone know if the MPEG group is going to unveil a DRM solution for MPEG-4 anytime in the next few months? B/c we use FCP and DVDSP for our ingestions, edits and DVD production, being able to stream and offer downloads in a Mac-able format sure would make my life easier. but alas -- without a solution to keep our video downloads off of Kazaa, et al ... it appears we are stuck with MS DRM (unless we wanted to drop a cool $500K or so on an IBM solution or $250K on Helix DRM from Real.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.