Mac os X Snow Leopard Dev 1 Review

Discussion in 'macOS' started by superman193, Jun 23, 2008.

1. superman193 macrumors regular

Well, I can say, I AM NOT IMPRESSED. i loaded 10.6 all up and for starter's you cant tell that its 10.6 all this grand central whoo'e doesn't do crap. safari is slower. and its a pain because you know all your 32 bit applications? or pref panes? each time you try to launch them, the program must be restarted in '32 bit mode' It seems to be the next UAC. alot are going to disagree and I know its only build one. but come on. Leopard beta one was better then this!. Other dev's please tell me your thoughts..

oh and the aqua refresh is kinda nice too.

2. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Quite surprised that you're not bound to some non disclosure thing here. I'd be surprised to find other developers discussing this in the open like this.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Sounds like fun. :)

4. superman193 thread starter macrumors regular

i've used it for a hour.....oh god its vista all over again... but you cant turn this off

5. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

You apparently didn't use the same Leopard seeds I did... as for the rest of the content in your post, I don't know why you're even bothering to use SL, you clearly have no idea what's going on.

6. superman193 thread starter macrumors regular

You cant even feel the speed, trust me.

7. kabunaru Guest

Does Snow Leopard finally have the iPhone/iPod Touch UI?

8. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

You can hardly expect BETA software like this to work how final release software like Leopard worked. That's just ridiculous.

Realize, Apple probably won't keep it that way.

If you don't like it, why not switch back? :confused:

9. superman193 thread starter macrumors regular

I told you..? I know its build one but and I know leo was ALOT like tiger.... im just posting it?... and i dident put my whole system on SL thats crazy i have a 10gb partition with all my app's for SL

let me just add. a VERY good thing was that the dvd booted VERY fast. like im not even kidding it was amazing waay faster then the final leo dvd and my leo partition

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

So how long did it take you to illegally download it?

11. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Oh no, I'm sure he wouldn't do that.... Oh wait, what about the NDA... Never answered that one :rolleyes:

12. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

so he illegally d/l's it...bags it out, without an idea of what he's doing wrong...claims that v1 of the new operating system beta is slower than leopard...and that a year from release, snow leopard is a shell of an operating system

oh thankyou superman193 oh thankyou for this useful consumer and developer advice...i will not upgrade to snow leopard when it is released because of your most helpful advice...in fact i think i'll wait for windows seven and buy an AMD box

13. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I'm not condoning piracy, but no one should have to pay for a beta and doesnt having one more person beta testing it actually help them?

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not if they have no idea what Apple wants... like this guy.

15. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

How would he provide useful information to Apple about his "testing" if he's not part of the network of testers?

It's not like you or I can just submit an observation and have it mean something to Apple. They know who they are expecting results from. And, I'm sure that there is an established submission policy for bug reports. Most likely, they will require a developer account of a certain level (yes there are levels of developer accounts - I have one - but not high enough to get betas of OS X).

16. ihabime macrumors 6502

This guy is priceless, first his dog eats his 10.4 disks and now he openly admits to pirating.

It's a developers preview, for paid developers to test their software against and report problems. It's not even a beta, of course it's going to be slow and have bugs.

Perhaps you should send a bug report to Apple about it, be sure it contains your real name and address :D

17. larkost macrumors 6502a

Being someone who does have the "Developer Preview" (read that... not Beta) legitimately, and who has installed it on my testing machine. I am impressed by the potential in what I see. But as an actual developer (though on the side of sys-admin), and someone who has gone through many of these cycles with Apple (starting with the MacOS X Server 1.0 project), I am not expecting that an OS that is a year away from being released will be anything that I want to run as a day-to-day OS.

The reason that developers have it is so that they can get a feel for the new frameworks that are under construction, and get a leg-up on knowing how to code for 10.6 when it rolls around. And it also provides Apple a chance to get feedback on the frameworks while they are still in a malleable state.

If you had been to WWDC (and thus were entitled to the disks) you would have noticed how many Apple-badged employees were attending the sessions on the new technologies and talking amongst themselves afterwards as this was new to them as well. The things you are hearing about are just finally ready for people to start playing with, and are not ready to be relied upon (otherwise they would be in a shipping product). It will be only closer to the end of the development cycle when things get stable enough to work on the OS as a day-to-day system.

The fact that you have no idea what a developer Preview is about, and that you are calling it a Beta tells me that you are not a developer superman193, and have pirated the WWDC disk. Please go back to the kiddie pool and stop pretending to be something you are not.

18. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Since a few legits have jumped in here (and I'll understand if this hits an NDA and you can't say), I'll ask a question that will hopefully be put in a way you can answer.

I have a concern about whether existing software will run in the new 10.6.

I base this on experience from the transition to OS X from OS 9. And, on the experience of the transition from PowerPC to Intel.

I have entertained the thought, that if Apple really is reworking all the frameworks and underlying technologies, that essentially we could end up with 10.5 "appearance" and functionality implemented with new supporting code and essentially a new means of getting something that looks the same.

My thoughts, are that perhaps we will have something that on the surface is functionally similar. But, not implemented the same way. And, my concerns are that existing software may cease to work because of this.

I wonder how many of the new "Universal" apps will work unmodified. And, I wonder specifically about programs like iMovie 6.

I know from experience that many programs have required minor point revisions to get them to run properly in the new versions of OS X. And, those versions of OS X didn't really change the underlying technology as significantly as Apple claims this new release will.

So, I am left wondering if we're going to have a jump as significant as the jump from OS 9 to OS X. Or, if this jump is going to be relatively unnoticeable.

Unless Apple brings the old iMovie 6 back to life in a reincarnation of sorts, I may have to stay with Leopard 10.5 just to know that I can continue using iMovie in a useful form (useful to me).

If PowerPC is truly phased out, then I would naturally assume that's the end for 100% PowerPC programs. But, what about those that were updated to "Universal" status?

And, I would expect that this likely is the end for Rosetta (PowerPC emulation / translation). But, I know you probably cannot say.

I would appreciate any comments you can offer in regards to my above concerns. If it hits NDA, then I understand. But, if you can say, then I'd appreciate your observations.

19. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

flyinmac: don't worry about it. Many (most? all?) of OSX's internals have been reworked before, and nobody noticed ;) NSFont on Leopard probably shares not a single line of code with NSFont on Jaguar, since it was rewritten on top of CoreText.

There will be a few broken bits of course (Adium's menu icon is upside down in the seed, for example. Our fault, although it wasn't immediately intuitive how), but this isn't anything like the OS9->OSX or PPC->x86 transitions.

To the OP: rather than saying Grand Central doesn't do anything, I suggest getting out Shark, doing something intensive, and looking at what's actually running under the hood (I assume as a developer you do know how to do this?). If you see a bunch of GCD stuff in the trace, then perhaps you have a point. If not, then I suggest waiting until it's actually being used for the task you're testing before making wild claims.

20. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Hello Catfish_Man,

Thank you for your comments.

I am hopeful that what I need will still work in the new system. I've got a few machines to use for the tasks if needed. But, I like to have the current setup on my top end computer, and prefer not to delegate my tasks to a lower computer if you get my meaning there.

Essentially, I like my top computer to be current, and do what I want it to do.

But, I do have a few conflicts with the idea of optimization being a selling point. But, while I may make some noise or fuss about it. I'll obviously save my final judgement for the day it's available.

I am hopeful that perhaps this will be a cheaper version update. But, I'm not counting on it. I'd like it to be free. But, I'm not counting on it.

I guess it will remain to be seen whether they do more than optimize. And, if they do, whether it will be enough to convince me to upgrade when the time comes.

I guess if they made my current Mac Pro 2.66 feel like a current Octo 3 GHz, then that could be compelling. But, if it just makes it feel like a quad 2.8, then that might be a tough sell.

In the end, I hope that if nothing else, that at least the newer programs that are available now will continue to function. Especially those that are not likely to be updated (like Universal iMovie '06).

I think optimization is long past due. I just wish that it had been offered with 10.5 or earlier.

I do appreciate your comments though. Thank you.

21. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

10.5 had some rather significant optimizations, actually. As did 10.4, and 10.3, and so on.

22. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Yes, I saw some with 10.4 (coming from 10.3.9).

But, 10.5 seemed to slow my PPC systems down (compared to 10.4.10).

I can't tell with regards to the Intel systems though. My only intel system didn't spend enough time with 10.4 on it. I got it right before 10.5 and then upgraded to the family pack across my machines.

I can say that I am generally pleased with 10.5 on my Intel machine.

On my PowerPC machines, well they are slightly slower, but not enough for me to complain. But, they are all G3 and G4 systems (the fastest being a G4 1.33).

I really am more concerned about programs running that are not likely to see free updates (or any updates at all).

Everything I use on my system is now Universal.

Anyway, I appreciate your comments.

Here's hoping for the best. Your comments are at least encouraging.

23. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That's the thing, it's not a beta - it's Developer Preview - essentially an Alpha copy. He's bagging out a pre-beta version of software he illegally downloaded and expected it to be running as his primary operating system.

What a joke.

24. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

flyinmac,now that it's looking like snow leopard is intel only why worry about you PPC machines ?

Oh to the OP why download what looks like to be a alpha release of snow leopard and then come on here & moan it aint working ??

25. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Not really worried about the PPC systems. I actually got the family pack of Leopard because I figured it would be the last OS X that I could install on them. So, I was accepting that when Leopard was released.

Just commented that while 10.4 did seem to boost performance, that 10.5 seemed to slightly decrease it on the same system. Though not enough to complain about.

I'm more concerned about whether my current stuff will work using my Mac Pro.