MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The next-generation iPad Air will feature a design that's similar to the third-generation iPad Pro, according to Japanese site Mac Otakara.

iPad-Pro-Feature-Magenta.jpg

Citing a Chinese supplier, the site says that the fifth-generation iPad Air will continue to feature a 10.9-inch display and a Touch ID button on the side, but it will gain a dual-lens camera system with Wide and Ultra Wide cameras.

A LiDAR Scanner is also a possibility for the iPad Air, though it is not guaranteed and the supplier did not know for sure. Additional features include a four speaker audio system and a 5G mmWave chip.

Mac Otakara expects the fifth-generation iPad Air to feature an A15 chip, and while today's rumor includes no detail on a release date, prior information has suggested an early 2022 launch.

There's also no mention of an OLED display, and multiple other rumors have suggested that Apple is working on an iPad Air-sized iPad with an OLED display. The iPad Air is expected to use OLED technology while the iPad Pro line will stick with mini-LED technology.

Mac Otakara also says that its "latest information" indicates the upcoming ninth-generation low-cost iPad and the iPad mini 6 "do not seem to be any different" from the existing eighth-generation iPad and iPad mini 5.

The site suggests that it's possible that the only update will be an update to the A14 chip, with a design change not coming until 2022 or later.

That is not in line with previous rumors, especially about the iPad mini 6. We've heard reports from reliable sources like Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and Bloomberg's Mark Gurman that have suggested the next iPad mini will have a larger display and possibly no Home button.

The iPad mini 6 is expected to come out this fall, so we don't have too much longer to wait to find out which rumor set is true. We're either getting a small refresh that does not tweak the design, or a larger refresh that brings the iPad mini in line with the iPad Pro and iPad Air.

As for the low-cost iPad, Mac Otakara earlier this year said that it would look similar to the iPad Air 3, but it's no longer clear if that's accurate.

Article Link: Mac Otakara: iPad Air 5 to Feature iPad Pro-Like Design, No Design Changes Coming to iPad Mini 6 or iPad 9

Last edited:
Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Mac Okatara STOP LYING. you idiots not only have a piss poor track record like digitimes but come on… prosser, Gurman, 9to5 Mac, Ming Chi Kuo and even Ross young ( who have much better track record than them) said that there will be a redesigned iPad Mini…. I still can’t believe this is the second time that they still think mini 6 will look the exact same as mini 5.

heck even digitimes is saying the same thing as above that there is a redesigned iPad Mini (besides the part when they said that there will be Mini LED instead of LCD)

Last edited:
Comment

soco71

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2016
We're either getting a small refresh that does not tweak the design, or a larger refresh that brings the iPad mini in line with the iPad Pro and iPad Air.

I'm not willing to wait another 2.5+ years for a refresh that actually brings the iPad mini to a performance level that mirrors the current iPad lineup. Over 5 years now, the mini has had 1 refresh that wasn't much. That's just unacceptable. They might as well announce it as a discounted product.

Comment

bodonnell202

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Rumors about the Air seem believable, although I'm not sure why they talk about it as an iPad Pro design, when really it's just a refresh of the current Air with a newer chip (A15), 5G and an updated camera system. I'm not sure I believe anything about the iPad and iPad Mini though as no design changes with the Mini again seems unlikely.

Comment

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Well, we will find out not too long from now who is right and I swear Ima gonna put it in my notes who is right and who is wrong for future reference. Such conflicting info on the mini. Rumors are rumors but C'mon!

Reactions: pdaholic
Comment

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Apple better change the iPad Mini design because if they don't by next year its going to be 10yrs with no design change whatsoever and that's just pathetic.

The Mini is in desperate need of a refresh and it would be nice if all of the tablets had the same design.

iPad is a dead product line, or at least suspended animation. After that abysmal keynote we know it will be at least another 2 years before iPadOS gets anywhere close to taking advantage of current hardware.

Comment

DummyFool

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2020
It would make sense to upgrade the specs of the Air. The Pro offer a lot more and is only $20 (in Canada) more 128GB Pro vs 256GB Air. The pricing does not make any sense for the actual specs.

Comment

ddtmm

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
At this point the rumors are so all over the map that I wonder if the leaks are actually coming from Apple themselves to spin confusion. I would really be disappointed if the iPad mini is not a significant leap forward as other rumors indicate. It’s an awesome form factor for some people’s needs.

Comment

TheYayAreaLiving

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 18, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Comment

tgwaste

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
Mac Okatara STOP LYING. you idiots not only have a piss poor track record like digitimes but come on… prosser, Gurman and even Ross young ( who have much better track record than them) said that there will be a redesigned iPad Mini…. I still can’t believe this is the second time that they still think mini 6 will look the exact same as mini 5.
I wouldn't be surprised is Mac Okatara is right and the rest are wrong. Apple really sucks now.

Comment

Isengardtom

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2009
Seems like a sketchy rumour. My predictions :
- I think iPad Air will remain the same and get an A15 spec bump, maybe 128 GB space but doubt it
- Mini will get iPad Air 4 design
- iPad 9 will get iPad Air 3 design with laminated display, maybe 64 GB space

Comment

Isengardtom

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2009
iPad is a dead product line, or at least suspended animation. After that abysmal keynote we know it will be at least another 2 years before iPadOS gets anywhere close to taking advantage of current hardware.
iPadOS 15 improvements are big steps forward. I enjoy the beta. If anything, I think iPad has some of the most interesting development and growth potential in all apple products. That and the Mac. It’s the phones and watches that feel more like dead product lines.
at least in terms of potential for improvement

Comment

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I know that I'm in the minority, but this is one rumor about the iPad Mini that I like. :) I'm pretty confident that there won't be a Mini 6 this year... if there is, I suspect the chassis will remain the same but have an upgraded processor.

A Mini with the Air/Pro style chassis will most likely appear in 2023.

Comment

Nikita_K

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2021

The next-generation iPad Air will feature a design that's similar to the third-generation iPad Pro, according to Japanese site Mac Otakara.

iPad-Pro-Feature-Magenta.jpg

Citing a Chinese supplier, the site says that the fifth-generation iPad Air will continue to feature a 10.9-inch display and a Touch ID button on the side, but it will gain a dual-lens camera system with Wide and Ultra Wide cameras.

A LiDAR Scanner is also a possibility for the iPad Air, though it is not guaranteed and the supplier did not know for sure. Additional features include a four speaker audio system and a 5G mmWave chip.

Mac Otakara expects the fifth-generation iPad Air to feature an A15 chip, and while today's rumor includes no detail on a release date, prior information has suggested an early 2022 launch.

There's also no mention of an OLED display, and multiple other rumors have suggested that Apple is working on an iPad Air-sized iPad with an OLED display. The iPad Air is expected to use OLED technology while the iPad Pro line will stick with mini-LED technology.

Mac Otakara also says that its "latest information" indicates the upcoming ninth-generation low-cost iPad and the iPad mini 6 "do not seem to be any different" from the existing eighth-generation iPad and iPad mini 5.

The site suggests that it's possible that the only update will be an update to the A14 chip, with a design change not coming until 2022 or later.

That is not in line with previous rumors, especially about the iPad mini 6. We've heard reports from reliable sources like Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and Bloomberg's Mark Gurman that have suggested the next iPad mini will have a larger display and possibly no Home button.

The iPad mini 6 is expected to come out this fall, so we don't have too much longer to wait to find out which rumor set is true. We're either getting a small refresh that does not tweak the design, or a larger refresh that brings the iPad mini in line with the iPad Pro and iPad Air.

As for the low-cost iPad, Mac Otakara earlier this year said that it would look similar to the iPad Air 3, but it's no longer clear if that's accurate.

Article Link: Mac Otakara: iPad Air 5 to Feature iPad Pro-Like Design, No Design Changes Coming to iPad Mini 6 or iPad 9
Basic iPad with Air 3 design means no air gap in the display — the only major drawback compared to the rest of the iPad line. Simple iPad is the only reasonable IPad to buy. The rest are overpriced crap with intensive marketing support. IMHO

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.