Mac Plus 1mb-Hang on Disc Boot

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by froggytreafrogg, Jun 20, 2009.

1. froggytreafrogg macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

Hi, I have a near-death Mac Plus 1mb. I bought it off of eBay as-is in hopes to repair it. I have changed out the RAM so that it would start up correctly. That problem is fixed and now the computer will run start up, chime, and go to the screen with the floppy disc and the blinking '?'. As soon as I insert a disc (Mac OS 6.0.5 on DS/DD) the computer reads the disc, says 'Welcome to Macintosh' and then either restarts or hangs up. Anyone know what is going on? Any help will be appreciated, Thanks. :apple:

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Is this an Apple 6.0.5 disk? The symptom sounds like what happens when Finder and System aren't compatible versions.

And, of course, there's always "zap-the-PRAM" (cmd-opt-P-R during boot, 'til 2nd bong"

edit: also, if it's non-Apple, could there be too many Extensions for 1MB of RAM? Try starting up holding the "shift" to bypass loading 3rd party and non-essential extensions.

3. froggytreafrogg thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

hi, thanks for the response. for some reason, it does nothing with i try to zap the PRAM. no reboot or anything. i also tried to start from a disc and it crashes the computer instantly upon disc insertion. I wonder what could be making it crash now.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

When it crashes and if you get a “sad mac”, what are the codes (two rows of hex numbers below the “sad mac”?

5. froggytreafrogg thread starter macrumors regular

froggytreafrogg

Actually, it stopped doing that. i ended up putting the original RAM back into the plus. previously, it was causing a problem however now, its just fine. I tested it several times yesterday with system 6.0.5 and sys 7.1 (ds/dd) and everything went perfect. I really dont know why the RAM would fail and then magically start working. But it runs well now.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Glad it's up and running. I'm guessing there was just a bad connection in the slot when you installed it the first time.