Mac PPC Support Forum

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by G4PPC, Jun 22, 2015.

1. G4PPC macrumors newbie

G4PPC

That is what I was searching for when I found this place, so I was wondering if this is the forum for it, I'm new to Mac and I just have a Power PC, but don't plan to ever get an Intel Mac or care anything about Intel I've had enough of it on the PC I don't need it for a Mac and if I had Intel Mac I'd just put windows on it.

however I do know that Apple only cares about the iMac which is something I'll probably never have so there support forum is not going be any help, and they no longer make Power PC Mac's anyway.

I have questions only pertaining to the PPC Mac and not Intel, so I just wanted to know if those kind of questions can be asked on here with out someone saying you have to have a Intel Mac and things like that.

or if you know of any other forums where I could get help for the PPC Mac specifically, That would be great too.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You're in the PowerPC Mac forum. Looks like you came to the right place. :D

What's your questions?

P.S. Welcome by the way.

3. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Sure. You can ask any question you want about PowerPC macs. We'll do our best to help you out.

Why are you anti-Intel Mac?

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OP's quote:

5. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Oops, must have missed it. Thanks Erik!

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Many of us here use PPC computers on a daily basis, whether as a primary computer, to augment a newer Mac, or for pure enjoyment. I tend toward the latter two, although there are very few models in the G3/G4/G5 range which I don't own.

I think you'll enjoy it here-it's a good place to get technical help or just chat about PPC computers.

7. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

And get a little off topic! Haha

8. G4PPC thread starter macrumors newbie

G4PPC

Thank you.

Yes, I think I did find the right place and I started to realize it when I was reading users comments on another topic.

Am sorry I didn't reply back sooner I had stuff to do and just got back.

The question I have for now is about Monolingual is a program for removing unnecessary language resources from OS X, I found and downloaded the last version that is for PPC Ver. 1.4.5 and it works but it wants to remove the languages from every program on my Mac all at once, and I'm afraid to use such a program it could crash the whole system. So I was hoping to find a program like Monolingual that can remove language resources from a single Program or Binary for The PPC.

Does anyone know of such a program.

Best Regards.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Hmmm. I'm not sure if there is anything that does this on a case by case basis, but I haven't ever looked for anything like that so I may just not know about it.

Anyone know?

10. G4PPC thread starter macrumors newbie

G4PPC

I suppose another question would be if anyone knows whether Monolingual will crash my system or not I'm trying to free up space as my G4 only has a 40gb hard drive and it seems like a lot of space until you realize you have used up about 75 percent of the drive. I have Trim The Fat 0.7 for universal binary's although it doesn't work for every program it helps. I got back up to 20gb when I uninstalled Safari IMAO the most useless browser ever, and Firefox 3.6.28 as I didn't use them. I have TenFourFox 17 and Aroura Firefox 17 called Nightly that I use for plugin support.

However I did find and download the last and same version of Safari 5.0.6 that I had installed so I can reinstall it. I'm very careful and I don't uninstall anything unless I can get it back.

My system is a Apple iBook G4 Power Book 6,7 12" 133ghz 1gb

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Monolingual itself will not crash the system. However, you can inadvertently remove languages that some apps need and they will refuse to launch. One example of this is QuarkXPress 8.x.

T4Fx is what I use, but I'm using version 31. I use Safari if I need plugin support (but I hate webkit in all it's forms).

Rather than trying to cobble space together by using Monolingual or Trim the Fat (the ultimate result being not much space regained) I would try removing anything you may have in your home folder. Documents, downloads, etc that you don't really use. Back them up and then delete them. The next area I'd look at would be apps. How many do you have that you aren't using? You can back those up as well and then delete them.

Finally, 40GB is pretty small. There are plenty of cheap 100-120GB hard drives (PATA/IDE) out there on eBay and other places. If it's in your budget I'd pursue that option as well.

12. jbarley, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

You don't need a program as such to do what you want.
    Just right-click on the application, 'Show Package Contents->Contents->Resources', now select all the Folders ending with ".lproj" you want to get rid of and delete them.
    In my case I dump everything except for Folders labled "en.lproj" or "english.lproj".
    Picture 2.JPG

13. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I just ran Monolingual on my iMac and it removed over 2GB of unused fonts. It took about an hour to run but otherwise it ran ok. As far as your small hard disk if you can afford to replace it I would. I'm going to put a cheap SSD in my iMac at the end of the week. My hard drive is making all kinds of terrible noises so it's time. I found a SanDisk 120GB SSD on sale for $50. If your interested I can post the link later after work. I also bought the recommended SATA to IDE connector on Amazon of $6.

14. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I can never shake off the notion that deleting thousands of tiny files will result in massive disk fragmentation...cue cries of "Macs don't suffer from disk fragmentation!" ;)

15. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Following a strict backup regime using Carbon Copy Cloner takes care of much if not all of this "massive disk fragmentation"
    Information Link

16. G4PPC thread starter macrumors newbie

G4PPC

Thanks to all for the advice, I think I stick to Deleting Programs I don't use, I had downloaded the last working version of itunes for PPC and uploaded online, as I had thought of removing it but later realized that I use that program. For some programs I may try manual removal of Language resources.

eventually I will probably go for a Upgrade, normally if I download a lot of stuff I try to upload it or move it over to my windows computer. I want to upgrade my memory because I just have 1gb but my iBook supports 1.5gb and in it's current state with Safari it was really slow online, but by using Tenfourfox it runs just slightly slow online you hardly notice it but it does take some time for certain task like having several tabs open at once or when there is something like a script error. But I've been debating whether I can afford another Mac that probably would already have a bigger drive and more memory and maybe a better processor rather then upgrade this one I don't know there are a lot of options I've even thought of buying the same model but upgraded already they are affordable.

A problem I have with upgrading is that I have no idea how to open my iBook do you need a special tool or what, it has what looks like somesort hex screws on the back along with regular Philips.

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You should not use Safari as it is insecure and outdated. Either use Leopard WebKit or the latest version of TenFourFox. To optimize TenFourFox for the best performance, follow eyoungren's tweak guide. To make things simpler, I have created an easy method to install the tweaks in this thread.

Upgrading the RAM on an iBook is an easy ordeal. Simply remove the keyboard, AirPort card, and RAM cover and you have access to the RAM slot. Upgrading the hard drive is a rather daunting task for those inexperienced with computer repair.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This is one of the reasons I have a higher than normal dislike for iBooks. ;)

19. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

No kidding, I almost thought about getting an iBook G4 instead of a Mac mini G4 but the sheer amount of effort needed to upgrade the hard drive put me off.

20. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

I'm a little late to the party, but welcome to the PowerPC forum, the best forum at Macrumors!

21. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

22. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

More like a BYOM (bring your own Mac) party :D

23. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

24. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

We replied basically the exact same thing 6 seconds apart from each other, :p

25. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@Gamer9430 I noticed that and was like "shoot, he beat me to it!"