Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Hi,

A few days ago I was told by a forum member that Apple will not increase the price of their Macs when the new VAT increase comes into action today. I was told rather shockingly that the reason the prices will not increase is because Apple were already charging 17.5% VAT in 2009 and keeping the 2.5% for themselves. However, when I went over to the Apple UK store it looks like they have increased the price with the VAT increase:eek::mad::rolleyes:

I am quite shocked with this. I know its only a £37 increase on the top of range MBP but its the princible:(

Art

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Hi art,

originally, they did lower the prices back in the start of the VAT reduction. However, what they did rather sneekily, is when the released new models, they put the prices back up to the original pricing structure of 17.5% VAT, and now they're being even greedier and have put another 2.5% on top. So yes, they have already been technically charging 17.5% prices, but marked as 15%.

Something we can't do anything about, and have to live with sorry.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
There's a lot of people on here who will give an answer even when they haven't got a clue what they are talking about. It's a shame you have lost out because of it. :(

Look at some of the opinions about the same issue in this thread. :eek:

At least I knew what I was talking about. ;)

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Hi,

A few days ago I was told by a forum member that Apple will not increase the price of their Macs when the new VAT increase comes into action today. I was told rather shockingly that the reason the prices will not increase is because Apple were already charging 17.5% VAT in 2009 and keeping the 2.5% for themselves. However, when I went over to the Apple UK store it looks like they have increased the price with the VAT increase:eek::mad::rolleyes:

I am quite shocked with this. I know its only a £37 increase on the top of range MBP but its the princible:(

Art

Hello Art,

Sorry about this. I can't believe that they have put up the prices. I myself have also been stung as I was sure they wouldn't raise them further and have held off on buying a new macbook.

As you say it is only a small amount extra, but remains a kick in the teeth in principle

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
I'm going to be blunt about this. Were people really dumb enough to believe that a company like Apple - that already over charges - wouldn't jump at the chance to con another 2.5 percent from it's customers. The prices will get even higher when the next new lot of prices come as well. Because the US will probably a price cut and the rest of the world will have to pay for it.

XxEjGxX

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
I'm going to be blunt about this. Were people really dumb enough to believe that a company like Apple - that already over charges - wouldn't jump at the chance to con another 2.5 percent from it's customers. The prices will get even higher when the next new lot of prices come as well. Because the US will probably a price cut and the rest of the world will have to pay for it.
dude your in the wrong forum
signature_BasicSmile.jpg
apple's aren't overpriced, they are the definition of quality... you're paying for the quality, but I agree with your point that any company in their right mind would up the prices if they are given the chance

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Hi,

Art

I told people that, maybe I told you, however it was just an opinion, perhaps a strongly worded one, but I've not seen anyone post it as fact. Apple are all about image, and the price points they had were obviously derived for marketing purposes, look at the prices now, they are "messy" and don't correlate with that sleek image Apple try to exude at every point. That was the logic I used, I suppose they are selling well and can get away with this.

John Lewis are not raising sales tax until February so buy it from them instead. Better warranty too. You could also try calling Apple and asking for last years price and that may get you a discount or something free.

sheareb

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2009
......or ... phone them as soon as you can and tell them you tried to order last night (31st)but couldnt as the website was down for price updates

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
PC World have frozen the VAT increase until Sunday January 3rd, so I might just buy one from there but the only snag is that I would have to get it ordered as my local PC world don't have the top of the range MBP 15" in stock.

I find it pathetic how big companies like Apple can get away with pocketing 2.5% of VAT for themselves and yet raise the prices further once the VAT increases. Surely this should be reported to trading standards. I am going to contact trading standards about that matter.

Art

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
PC World have frozen the VAT increase until Sunday January 3rd, so I might just buy one from there but the only snag is that I would have to get it ordered as my local PC world don't have the top of the range MBP 15" in stock.

I find it pathetic how big companies like Apple can get away with pocketing 2.5% of VAT for themselves and yet raise the prices further once the VAT increases. Surely this should be reported to trading standards. I am going to contact trading standards about that matter.

Art

They aren't doing anything wrong, however it looks very petty. If VAT had remained at 17.5% throughout all this we'd have still have had the new price points we got last year when it was 15%. So it could be looked at as if Apple are profiting from the tax changes, but they can set their prices how they want.

I wouldn't buy from buy from PC world, John Lewis are a much better company to buy pre-built systems from if they have what you want. I'd be surprised if you couldn't call Apple and get it cheaper by saying you'll buy elsewhere if they don't give you the 15% rated price.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Totally agree, just bought an end of line macbook from them (the 2.13) for £400...a ridiculously good price, especially considering that it comes with a 2 year warranty!

Christ that's some clearance discount. My local store has nothing Apple wise (in clearance), though I did miss the first day of clearance for contractual reasons.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England

Art

Umm... the problem is they didn't "pocket the difference". On the equivalent models they did drop down to 15% without any fuss. When new models came in they changed the prices (which they often do to account for exchange rates, business costs, importing, supply/demand, love of round numbers etc.). Apple was always going to raise the prices back to 17.5% VAT, especially seeing as the £ has been getting weaker. If the £ gets stronger than maybe we'll see some rounding down, but otherwise they'll probably stay roughly the same.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'm going to be blunt about this. Were people really dumb enough to believe that a company like Apple - that already over charges - wouldn't jump at the chance to con another 2.5 percent from it's customers.

Please explain to me how charging 17.5% VAT instead of 15% VAT when Gordon Brown changed the rules is conning the customers.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Gnasher,

At first when "Mr I saved the World" first announced the biggest waste of £12.5bn Apple did indeed reduce the prices accordingly. However as the year went on and models were refreshed, the prices were increased back to similar levels before the V.A.T increase.

XxEjGxX,

As for your claim about quality and value for money? Have you bought anything made buy Apple in recent years. The quality has gone up crapper creek. All companies make mistakes, however, Apple will ignore an issue as long as possible, even if it is well documented and possibly even dangerous.

Personally none of the machine I have purchased from Apple have had any major faults. The only piece of value Apple still has going for it is the AppleCar service, even though you pay a fortune for something that should come as standard.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Christ that's some clearance discount. My local store has nothing Apple wise (in clearance), though I did miss the first day of clearance for contractual reasons.

Yeah I am really chuffed with the price, it had been opened and then put back in the box (probably to show someone the product), and so it was heavily reduced. However, I actually wanted to buy 2 macbooks and wish that I could have had the low price on both of them!

OllyW said:
There's a lot of people on here who will give an answer even when they haven't got a clue what they are talking about. It's a shame you have lost out because of it.

Look at some of the opinions about the same issue in this thread.

At least I knew what I was talking about.

If you were to check the original thread you would find that the advice I gave was clearly labelled as my opinion based on the surreptitious price rises of mid 2009. Furthermore, if you consider the original thread you would also find that he hasn't lost out at all, he was initially making an arrandale/non arrandale choice that would have meant a small difference of £42.50.

It seems that you may be guilty of your own advice

G4DP said:
As for your claim about quality and value for money? Have you bought anything made buy Apple in recent years. The quality has gone up crapper creek. All companies make mistakes, however, Apple will ignore an issue as long as possible, even if it is well documented and possibly even dangerous.

Agreed, although I am sorry to say it

nOw2

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Apple have been pushing up UK prices all year, as people have mentioned.

Look at the MacBook - started at 700, upped to 715, VAT dropped it back to <700, then the new model was introduced at 800 and now its 816.

Bare in mind that the MacBook has remained the same price in the US - on introduction of the new model, the UK MacBook page stated the same as the US page: "Still just £799" - that was quickly changed to "Starting at £..."

The same has happened with the Mini and iMac, which are now >£100 more expensive.

Part of it is currency fluctuations and the increasing cost of doing business in the UK. But not all.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
If you were to check the original thread you would find that the advice I gave was clearly labelled as my opinion based on the surreptitious price rises of mid 2009. Furthermore, if you consider the original thread you would also find that he hasn't lost out at all, he was initially making an arrandale/non arrandale choice that would have meant a small difference of £42.50.

It seems that you may be guilty of your own advice

You told him.....

Finally, I don't think that apple's prices will change anyway after the tax increase as they didn't put them down after the VAT decrease, they just took an extra 2.5% for themselves!

which was not true, because Apple did reduce the VAT rate to 15% and drop their prices accordingly in December 2008.

I see this as someone giving an answer when they haven't got a clue what they are talking about. You might disagree.

JonnyUK

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2009
Shame about the VAT increase, but have you thought about cashback?

Damn, I was given the same advice but decided not to risk it and bought it before the VAT increase.

That said, if it's any consolation, you can still make a nice saving if you buy online via a cashback system such as Top Cashback. While it will be charged at the new 17.5% VAT rate, you will get back 4% of the total value (ex-vat) which can be a fair amount for big purchases.

I did this and managed to get back £74.12 in cashback when buying my iMac 27".

A little warning though, the cashback is not guaranteed - there is a chance you won't get it for whatever reason (e.g. your purchase wasn't tracked or Apple refused the cashback), and it will take a long time before you will receive the payment.

RealaT

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
What seems to be lost on some people is that the extra that has been added on to the prices is going to the government, not to Apple.

This is not Apple raising prices, it is a tax increase.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
What seems to be lost on some people is that the extra that has been added on to the prices is going to the government, not to Apple.

This is not Apple raising prices, it is a tax increase.

I think it depends how you look at it. Most companies £999 products were £978 last year and are £999 now. Apple's £999 product was £978 until they revised it back to £999 and is now £1,020. While the amounts are small in the grand scheme of things I think it just looks "off" to people.

RealaT

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
I think it depends how you look at it. Most companies £999 products were £978 last year and are £999 now. Apple's £999 product was £978 until they revised it back to £999 and is now £1,020. While the amounts are small in the grand scheme of things I think it just looks "off" to people.

Totally agree with you on the messiness. I think Apple should have just kept the prices the same in order to keep the prices looking uniform and I wouldn't be suprised if that's what happens as the machines get refreshed in the coming year.

I'm sure Apple could afford to lose a few quid for the sake of having a nicer looking price list. Isn't clean designs what Apple is all about after all? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.