Mac Pro 09 Audio Update 1.0 causing problem with pro audio hardware devices !

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by seisend, Feb 17, 2010.

1. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

My System:

Mac Pro 8 Core 2.26 GHz
    12GB ECC Ram
    GTX 285 , GT 120
    3x1TB Caviar Black (OS 10.6.2*), 1x640GB (Windows 7)
    *Software is up to date !

Audio Hardware:

Apogee Ensemble (Interface and Soundcard)

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/ensemble.php

Apogee is a company which is working closely with Apple together on their Audio products

Problem:

Since I installed the Audio Update 1.0 for Mac Pro's early 2009 by Apple Software Update to solve the Audio Heat / Performance problem I have realized a high pitched noise / whistle sound.

When I turn on my Ensemble, I am getting a high pitched noise / whistle sound coming out from my Mac Pro. I think the source of the sound is somewhere around the Firewire inputs in the back of the Mac. I tried to locate it , but it is very hard. As soon I turn my Ensemble off, the high pitched noise is away !

- The noise / whistle is very good recognizable
    - I have no problem with other external devices such as hard discs
    - I could not locate the noise to an internal fan
    - It does not matter if I playback music or not
    - The high pitched noise is pretty constantly, but sometimes a bit quieter. And sometimes gone for just a second. But mostly constantly.
    - It does not matter on which input of the Mac Pro I attach the firewire cable to connect the Ensemble
    - I tried messing around with the Ensemble Software Settings (changing frequencies etc.) with no success.
    - I reinstalled Apogee Ensemble Software Updates
    - I reinstalled Apogee Ensemble Firmware Updates
    - (edit) The noise still exists even when I plug the power adapter into another power source

When I wear my headphones and plug them into my Mac Pro it is dead silent. But if I turn on my Ensemble, I have the same frequency of a high pitched noise / whistle on my headphone output as my system does ! It does not matter if I choose the Ensemble for I/O or not.

I have a clean OS X 10.6.2 installation on an external HD. I booted today from this HD. I connected my Ensemble with my Mac and turned it on. I did not hear any high pitched whistle or noise.

I left my system with the ensemble running for about an hour and I did not hear any noises or whistles on the external HDD with OSX 10.6.2 without audio fix. So I downloaded the Audio Update 1.0 for the Mac Pro, which Apple has released last Thursday. After the successfully installation and restart, the high pitched noise was there again.

Does anybody experienced this with his external audio interface / does anybody else own a Apogee Ensemble with a 09 Mac Pro ?

edit:

Here is the "UNDO" for reverting the audio patch 1.0 :

http://rapidshare.com/files/354706662/UNDO_Audio_Fix_1.0_Update_by_Apple.zip

Containing:

- Two .kext files (AppleHDA/IOPlatformPluginFamily) for 10.6.2
    - Two .kext files (AppleHDA/IOPlatformPluginFamily) for 10.6.2 with Audio Update 1.0
    - Kext Helper b7
    - Tutorial

So you can change the files anytime you want.

Thread on the Apple Discussions Forum about the same problem - Other Interfaces seem to make the same effect :

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2339757&tstart=0

Noise (video 720p):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXOgHpcqqNo

Noise (audio):

Attached Files:

2. bootstrapjesse macrumors newbie

Apogee/MP woes

This may sound silly, but have you tried moving the Power Adapter for the Ensemble to another power source? Is it plugged into to same UPS as your Mac Pro?

--Jesse

3. seisend thread starter macrumors 6502a

seisend

Thank you Jesse.

The noise still exists, even when I move the power adapter into another power source.

4. alvindarkness macrumors 6502a

The "audiofix" that apple released (just looking at it briefly) only replaces two files. AppleHDA.kext and IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext.

If you want to see if the fix is causing the issue, grab the 10.6.2 combo update from apple, extract those two files, and copy them into /System/Library/Extensions, repair permissions and reboot. You can always apply the audiofix again later.

It will put your mac back to the state it was in before the fix was applied.

edit: just read that you have an external hdd with a 10.6.2 install that works fine, should make the job easier. And please if it fixes the issue report it to apple. They will undoubtedly include the "fixes" into 10.6.3 otherwise, and I'd hate my apogee duet to be similarly effected :)

5. seisend thread starter macrumors 6502a

seisend

Thank you, I will try this on my external OS X installation. I already think it's the audio fix because the problem startet after the audio update fix on both osx installations.i will give it a try anyway.

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

wow, it's weird ...

I don't have any Ensemble card to try.

7. seisend thread starter macrumors 6502a

seisend

I was just thinking about it today again (i'm not at home). I can try it tomorrow but I don't think I will see anything different because I already tested it with a clean OSX 10.6.2 installation and then with the audio fix. It was maybe not that obvious written in my post. I edited it:

8. blinkfrog macrumors member

Is noise relates to CPU/GPU/HDD/mouse activity?
    My RME AIO have similar noise (but from headphones/analog outputs, not just from port), but I've got to workaround it by using internal card on background. But after update workaround isn't working.

9. alvindarkness macrumors 6502a

Yeh but by copying the original set of files, then the "fix" set of files, then the original set of file, you can willy nilly switch between having the fix installed or not installed without changing anything else. That'll factor out almost every other variable and should be enough for you to report it to Apple and them to take it seriouslly.

10. seisend thread starter macrumors 6502a

seisend

The noise still exists. Even with no CPU/GPU/HDD/MOUSE activity.

I copied the two files on a clean 10.6.2 installation. I wanted to reboot and I only saw loading cycle and nothing happened (waited 10min). It does not work.... Any other suggestions ?

But still :

10.6.2 clean installation - no noises
    10.6.2 clean installation with audio fix - high pitched whistle sounds / noises

I attached an audio file with the signal from the front output headphone jack. The high pitched signal is pretty the same coming out from the Mac Pro itself.

To who or what department should I report this bug best ?

Attached Files:

11. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

you have to repair permissions for kexts to install properly, if you don't know how, use kexthelper

12. seisend thread starter macrumors 6502a

seisend

thank you Cindori, I tried kext helper and it worked.

I installed the two kext files successfully on my external test HDD with 10.6.2 installed . After rebooting, I got the noise. So the audio fix is 100% the culprit...

Where exactly should I report this to ?

13. Fomaphone macrumors regular

just send a report to Apple, get 50 other people to post the same issue with you here, notify a few major tech news outlets, and Apple will be with you in about a year.

14. cranesong macrumors newbie

15. seisend thread starter macrumors 6502a

seisend

Thanks for your link cranesong.

It's unbelievable that it took apple one or two weeks to invest and fix the problem and they didn't even tested it probably AGAIN ! And when it's out, it generates another PROBLEM ...

16. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

For those not affected, it could seem that way. ;) But very doubtful to those dealing with it. :rolleyes: :(

18. cl-user macrumors regular

2 questions

Can you record the sound and make an MP3 (or whatever is appropriate) available. I think it will help if we can hear the noise (especially in a context that helps us (and Apple) get as realistic sense of how significant the noise is), as well as any lateral thinking clues as to the origin that might come to many minds.

Anyone else able to report this (ie. is experiencing it), details?

Presumably you have written to Apogee, Presonus Firebox and RME Fireface800 Firewire lists, as every 09MP user there must be suffering this.

Re. this issue, I've added material and a link to this forum on

http://macproaudiobug.byethost31.com/

If any can add further details or insights I'll add.

19. seisend thread starter macrumors 6502a

seisend

thanks for posting and adding the issue on your page.
    you can add my interface too. I already posted the noise from the headphone front output ! The noise from the Mac Pro itself is pretty the same. Exact same frequencies. But I can record a mp3 from the Mac Pro aswell. You can post it on your page, if you want. I am wondering if other people here with their APOGEE DUET experience anything similar ?

20. nigel1210 macrumors member

Same problem here with an m-audio pro-fire 610 firewire interface.

Has anybody spoke to Chris Foresman at ars technica? maybe he can help with exposing the problem as he, helped with the original bug.

Doubt i'll buy another apple machine after this one, my windows machine was less hassle lol.

21. seisend thread starter macrumors 6502a

seisend

Here is the "UNDO" for reverting the audio patch 1.0 :

http://rapidshare.com/files/354706662/UNDO_Audio_Fix_1.0_Update_by_Apple.zip

Containing:

- Two .kext files (AppleHDA/IOPlatformPluginFamily) for 10.6.2
    - Two .kext files (AppleHDA/IOPlatformPluginFamily) for 10.6.2 with Audio Update 1.0
    - Kext Helper b7
    - Tutorial

So you can change the files anytime you want.

It's difficult to get the noise on microphone, even with room condenser mic it was difficult. I recorded a video on youtube. Volume up your speakers to hear everything (maybe listen to this with headphones is better). The noise is much more recognizable in original !

Mac Pro noise (video+audio):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXOgHpcqqNo

The noise is much better hearable here. It's the high pitched one you have to focus on.
    Mac Pro headphone jack signal noise (audio):

Attached Files:

22. cl-user macrumors regular

Thanks seisend.

I've listened a few times and confess that I cannot make it out. Perhaps my toy speakers here cannot handle it.
    Is there any way that you could repeat and this time turn the firewire device on and off in rapid succession, whilst keeping everything else the same.

I'm sure it is bad/obvious - I just can't pick out what I'm listening for amongst all the noise on that recording.

I've added links on the site.

We need disambiguation (nomenclature) between the original audio bug and this new patch firewire noise bug.

23. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I can hear that noise on my headphones and dude, that would drive me crazy!

Have you found the source of the noise yet? Maybe it's the internal speaker. Have you tried to disconnect it?

24. seisend thread starter macrumors 6502a

seisend

I'd say the sound comes from somewhere on the logic board. I think it's around the firewire I/O on the backside . I can't tell that specific. As far I know the internal speaker is on the front site (?).

25. Transporteur macrumors 68030

That's right. Somewhere near the front IO.