Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
2 simple , TINY edits on a plist file and it works just fine.

For reference, this hack is not likely to work very long. Apple has already indicated they're going to remove a bunch of support files required for this to work.

It requires the 32 bit drivers to work. Apple has already said the 32 bit drivers are going away. So I wouldn't invest too much in this hack.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
For reference, this hack is not likely to work very long.

Apple has already indicated they're going to remove a bunch of support files required for this to work.

Apple has already said the 32 bit drivers are going away.

A future road map from Cupertino?

Let's see those links.

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
MTN LION for Consumer market and not for the Pros.

Personally...I don't see why anyone would want to get the latest Mtn. Lion OSX. I still work with Snow Leopard and I didn't upgrade to Lion because of it's lack of drivers that is capable to run my DAW for the first 6 months of it's release. If your into icloud and all the other gimmicks then perhaps a new computer is in order. But if you are looking at dependability and the need to use your computer as workstation for Film/Video Editing or DAW, then the need to upgrade is not that necessary. I would rather put my money into other necessities such as ram, raids or video cards that uses GPU acceleration.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
I toyed with the idea of buying a Mac Pro 1,1 I am glad I built a Hackintosh instead. This would have sent me through the roof. If Apple does not start supporting the Pro to Prosumer better they will push those indivduals into Windows or Hackintoshs. Video editors are allready jumping ship.

SG1-1

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2009
NDA.

But if one was so inclined, such things are in the Mac developer site for Mountain Lion.

Bull, that has nothing to do with the EFI 32 bit Bios, and to top it all off, THE only thing NOT 64 bit is the EFI BIOS.

This has NOTHING TO DO WITH the 64 bit code of the OS, The Mac Pro is a full 64 bit Machine.

Only the EFI Bios is 32 bit.

As with the first release of Lion, the Mac Pro 1.1 was not supported due to the base line testing of the System and drivers, Apple needed to get as much info back on System Performance and any crashes it could, so they stuck with the Newer systems to test, support was later added in beta refreshes,

And don't be surprised as testing continues and additions are made & fixes put forth, that the Mac Pro 1.1 & 2.1 are added to the list of systems supported computers.

I also believe if all those whom are concerned, Let Tim Cook be aware of your feelings, in today's economy, those Systems that had been sold as full 64 bit workstations should still have support.

And no one confuse a desktop system with the Mac Pro that is sold a Professional Workstation, Workstation's are at the Norm suppose to last at least up to 7 years, if not more. And at a $3,500.00 price in 2007 rightfully so.

The NDA, Really?

There is Nothing that states that, I have read through that whole site. And I'm not going any further then that other then to add, The information you posted was in itself deceiving.

Don't confuse the 32bit EFI BIOS with Drivers, they are different and you are confusing the situation.

A Mac Pro can run all 64 bit drivers in Mountain Lion, only the 32 bit boot EFI is stopping it, as with Lion, All Apple needs to do is add a 32bit code line for booting just like they did for Lion and it's done, they can also send out a 64 bit EFI bios update, but it would be hard to see this happen.

"What people want is real answers, some just push out crap to sound like they know everything under the sun, that in itself is a disservice to the Apple Community."

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Bull, that has nothing to do with the EFI 32 bit Bios, and to top it all off, THE only thing NOT 64 bit is the EFI BIOS.

This has NOTHING TO DO WITH the 64 bit code of the OS, The Mac Pro is a full 64 bit Machine.

Only the EFI Bios is 32 bit.

32 bit EFI runs the 32 bit kernel and the 32 bit driver stack. All EFI32 machines use the 32 bit driver stack.

64 bit kernel runs with the 64 bit driver stack, and requires EFI64.

Apple is dropping the 32 bit driver stack, which means the 32 bit kernel won't work, which means EFI32 won't boot.

A Mac Pro can run all 64 bit drivers in Mountain Lion, only the 32 bit boot EFI is stopping it, as with Lion, All Apple needs to do is add a 32bit code line for booting just like they did for Lion and it's done, they can also send out a 64 bit EFI bios update, but it would be hard to see this happen.

Wrong wrong wrong. Apple has not removed the 32 bit drivers from Mountain Lion yet. Mac Pro 1,1s are still using the 32 bit drivers in Mountain Lion. You cannot run 64 bit drivers with EFI32. You need EFI64.

That's also why this hack is extremely likely to break before release.

Not to say there aren't workarounds. Chameleon boot loader is likely a permanent solution.

Last edited:

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
The initial release of Lion ran just fine on the Mac Pro 1,1, it was also possible to get it running on Core Duo iMac's, however this loophole was removed after Lion went gold and released to the public. Many people are assuming Apple will do the same thing with the Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1's that can currently run the developer preview version of Mountain Lion.

Apple has officially stated that they will no longer support the 1,1 and 2,1 Mac Pro's with Mountain Lion, I'm not sure what makes you think they will change that. The simple fact that the hardware is six years old, is, in my opinion, the single reason Apple is dropping support.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Mac Pro 1,1 may be six years old ...

The MP 1,1 will be 6 six years old when ML comes out (summer '12), but Apple was still selling these as "new" up until 1/2008.

That would make it about 4.5 years old if you bought it right before it was updated.

*-source Lowendmac.com

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
The MP 1,1 will be 6 six years old when ML comes out (summer '12), but Apple was still selling these as "new" up until 1/2008.

That would make it about 4.5 years old if you bought it right before it was updated.

*-source Lowendmac.com

Apple always sells the latest model, until a new one comes out, then the old model disappears in favor of the new one. Old models can be purchased as refurbs from the Apple store, but the 'new' model is always the latest one. I assume Apple goes bu then the model was released, not when they stopped selling it, so a 2006 model is 6 years old this year.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Apple always sells the latest model, until a new one comes out, then the old model disappears in favor of the new one. Old models can be purchased as refurbs from the Apple store, but the 'new' model is always the latest one. I assume Apple goes bu then the model was released, not when they stopped selling it, so a 2006 model is 6 years old this year.

So if I buy a 2005 car that was designed in 2001 the title will say "2001" and I should consider it a 2001?

The guy has a valid point.

I understand why things need to be updated, but if Apple is capable of including an entire family of 32bit drivers in the Beta, why not in later releases? They already axed the "ancient" video cards from the current drivers. AFAIK, the G70 drivers stopped getting 64bit versions in 10.6.3.

And let's get to the bottom of this whole "Apple says they will be yanking the currently included 32 bit support" thing. goMac says he read it on devel site but his strict adherence to his NDA keeps him from posting links or quotes. Yet this other person states:

The NDA, Really?

There is Nothing that states that, I have read through that whole site. And I'm not going any further then that other then to add, The information you posted was in itself deceiving.

"What people want is real answers, some just push out crap to sound like they know everything under the sun, that in itself is a disservice to the Apple Community."

It's either specifically mentioned on the devel site or it isn't. SOmeone is full of crap....who?

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
If you buy a 2001 model car in 2005, its a four year old 2001 model, when you bought it is irrelevant.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
It's either specifically mentioned on the devel site or it isn't. SOmeone is full of crap....who?

I don't have to debate this with you. They'll yank it by final release and then it'll be done. It's not worth me posting quotes from NDA'd information and getting myself and Macrumors in trouble.

I'm curious as to why you think, quotes or not, that Apple is going to keep around the 32 bit driver stack that only works on EFI32 machines.

No 32 bit driver stack means no more enabling 32 bit boot. Unless you don't really care about having drivers for anything on your machine.

But again, all I have to do is wait and I'll be proven right. I have no reason to risk my developer account for that.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
If you buy a 2001 model car in 2005, its a four year old 2001 model, when you bought it is irrelevant.

You must be a politician.

So if I walk into a Chevy dealer today and buy a new Corvette, I should consider it a 2008 because that is when it was designed?

Hopefully you can help me explain that to the DMV so I can save on the plates.;)

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004

So if I walk into a Chevy dealer today and buy a new Corvette, I should consider it a 2008 because that is when it was designed?

Hopefully you can help me explain that to the DMV so I can save on the plates.;)

As mentioned, Apple doesn't considered obligated to update the OS on any machine older than 4 years old. Any produced 1,1/1,2 certainly falls into this category within the next month.

If you don't like the policy, you're perfectly entitled to. But that's the policy. Machines past the maximum AppleCare time don't necessarily get OS updates. Doesn't matter how pro or consumer they are. Every line is in this boat. Macbook Pro, iMac, etc etc...

Last edited:

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010

Obviously cars are a bad metaphor for this, because now in 2012 they are selling 2013 models..... My original point was, a 2006 Mac Pro is a 6 year old machine now.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Obviously cars are a bad metaphor for this, because now in 2012 they are selling 2013 models..... My original point was, a 2006 Mac Pro is a 6 year old machine now.

OK, let's take the metaphor out. No more Apples & Oranges, we'll just talk Apples.

Mr. Dimwitt Flathead III walks into Apple store in February of 2008 and buys a NEW Mac Pro.

Right now, is that a 4 year old machine or a 6 year old one?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I don't have to debate this with you.

Then why are you?

They'll yank it by final release and then it'll be done. It's not worth me posting quotes from NDA'd information and getting myself and Macrumors in trouble.

Something about all those iPad3 photos tells me that MacRumours isn't terribly worried about this, nice of you to think of them though.

I'm curious as to why you think, quotes or not, that Apple is going to keep around the 32 bit driver stack that only works on EFI32 machines.

I don't necessarily think they will. I do think that it is odd that they bothered
to write them and include them in the DP if the plan was always to weed them out in round 2. But it is standard procedure there to force out old in order to sell new. I am more interested in 2 different people saying that they have read the same web pages and claiming to have read 2 completely separate (and contradictory) things. He went so far as to say your take was "deceiving". Rather a bold word I thought, perhaps he won't be as afraid of Apple's NDA and post some quotes.

No 32 bit driver stack means no more enabling 32 bit boot. Unless you don't really care about having drivers for anything on your machine.

I understand what you are saying here, and if they remove the 32 bit parts from final OS, then we will have to find a work-around. Perhaps this will motivate some people I have worked with to finish work on EFI64 for 1,1 and 2,1. He had quite a bit of it done and I have an Uncle who has been Sr. Engineer on firmware development for other systems. Might try to get them together....

But again, all I have to do is wait and I'll be proven right. I have no reason to risk my developer account for that.

Yep, by the end of summer you'll either be proven right and thousands of PO'd customers will be buying new machines, or various hackers will find another way. Or maybe, Apple will either leave 32 bit kernel & drivers in, or not change the rest of the OS to the point that we can include parts from this DP in later releases to "grandfather" in various machines.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I so love it when Mac users pull out the car analogies. They never get old.:rolleyes:

Funny you would mention this.

I happen to know many VERY INTERESTING THINGS about the 2013 Apple iMobile.

You would find these things both fascinating and amazing. Apple's first foray into Personal Transportation will change the world.

Unfortunately I can't say anything more due to an NDA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.