Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lurkingbf

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
3) The most serious issue is that I absolutely can NOT get iCloud mail or notes to set up. I have tried numerous times, and receive the message, "Your iCloud Mail account could not be enabled....Try enabling mail again.

I finally managed to solve this annoying issue. I read numerous posts on the Apple forums, and found some users from last year who had the same issue in ML. In order to resolve the issue, they disconnected their ethernet and/or wi-fi, and made an Internet connection via a USB connection with their iPhones. I couldn't imagine why this should work but, lo and behold, I tried it for fun and...it worked instantly! So all my iCloud stuff is now properly set up.

The only reason I can think of why this might have worked is that my double NAT setup (ISP's modem/wireless router feeding my Netgear wireless router) caused some communications confusion. In any case, this is the solution for anyone who has this issue.

petekingtran

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
Hey guys,

I have an original MacBook (2,1) 2006 model (NOT MACBOOK PRO), will this model work with mavericks? Currently running 10.8.4 ML Postfactor on it... or will i have to wait until hackerwayne sends out an update?

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
stock 1,1; 5150x2; 9GB; BT(trackpad)/WIFI; 10.9 on SSD (tiamo mod)

For the past two days--upon wake-from-sleep--FFx, TBird and Somafm apps basically unresponsive to input on-wake.

Native apps (finder, textedit, et al.). respond to trackpad input on-wake.

I'll try teh usb mousie for a few days on further assessment.

o.k.; upon further review, I have noticed that sleep takes just a little longer.

As the stair-stepped drop into full sleep progresses, teh fans accelerate (mind that this is on/in a stock 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 with an Apple 5770 and a mix of SSDs and whirly-platter drives), then drop-down to (basically) silence (i.e., Tru Sleep), though the duration between both is subjectively longer.

Attempts to re-wake during this step-down process are not nearly as satisfying as letting the System achieve full, and complete, Sleep before re-wake.

Trying to keep in mind that--in the period of about a month--I traded an install of the latest ("Official") 32-bit Lion for a Chameleon-boot into 64-bit Mavericks for a slipstream'ed tiamo-thunked 64-bit Mavericks, so subjectivity trumps objectivity.

I just returned from a three-day OOT work project where--upon leaving--I powered-down everything in the house, and--upon re-power-up--I am right back to /exactly/ where I left-off earlier this week.

Happy is as happy does, and this does work for me.

I've DL'ed tiamo's Source and compiled the exact-same boot.efi with a little effort, but have not tried cp'ing said compile for comparison (none expected, as source implies binary (which has already been provided)).

I've read the Source twice, and I flatter my self to say that I understand 2/79'th of it, so I guess I can revel in Tourista Mode for a while longer ;)

Thanks t.

----------

Boot Camp I've not tried but should be fine.

My Win 7 x64 Native Install (entirely outside of the Bootcamp Camp) boots just fine via Option, Select Disk and VM.

D3thN1gh7

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
Hey guys. I just bought an old Macbook 4,1 from a friend a few days ago. It originally only had Leopard, and I was able to get Snow Leopard installed. I had hoped after installing Snow Leopard that I could install Mavericks no problem from the app store. Sadly, of course, that wasn't the case.

I finally came across this forum and it sounds like a lot of you have been having a good amount of success with tiamo's bootloader. I've tried just about everything I can think of to get it to work. I used Flat Package Editor to put my macs board id in OSInstall.mpkg and also of course put the id in InstallableMachines.plist. Replaced the boot.efi's in both CoreServices and i386.

I first did all this on a USB stick, didn't boot, just ends up at the circle-slash screen then shuts down. Then I tried copying everything to another partition on the HD, tried booting from that, still no luck. Same result.

I should also note that I've even been trying to install windows with no luck either. Even setting up bootcamp and using a windows disk won't work. And of course booting from USB or an HD partition didn't work for that either. Oddly enough I can get the windows installer to boot off a DVD once in a great while, but of course the install has failed every time, and 85% of the time it doesn't even boot to begin with. Must be a bad DVD drive.

Is there just something I'm missing or does this MacBook really just hate everything else but Snow Leopard that much? Any suggestions on getting Mavericks up and running would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Hey guys. I just bought an old Macbook 4,1 from a friend a few days ago. It originally only had Leopard, and I was able to get Snow Leopard installed. I had hoped after installing Snow Leopard that I could install Mavericks no problem from the app store. Sadly, of course, that wasn't the case.

I finally came across this forum and it sounds like a lot of you have been having a good amount of success with tiamo's bootloader. I've tried just about everything I can think of to get it to work. I used Flat Package Editor to put my macs board id in OSInstall.mpkg and also of course put the id in InstallableMachines.plist. Replaced the boot.efi's in both CoreServices and i386.

I first did all this on a USB stick, didn't boot, just ends up at the circle-slash screen then shuts down. Then I tried copying everything to another partition on the HD, tried booting from that, still no luck. Same result.

I should also note that I've even been trying to install windows with no luck either. Even setting up bootcamp and using a windows disk won't work. And of course booting from USB or an HD partition didn't work for that either. Oddly enough I can get the windows installer to boot off a DVD once in a great while, but of course the install has failed every time, and 85% of the time it doesn't even boot to begin with. Must be a bad DVD drive.

Is there just something I'm missing or does this MacBook really just hate everything else but Snow Leopard that much? Any suggestions on getting Mavericks up and running would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Macbook 4,1 can get up to Lion. You can install Mavericks, of course with the replacement of the boot.efi, but you won't have QE/CI since there is no 64-bit support for GMA X3100. I don't think it would even boot. I have not tried and I don't want to on my own Macbook 4,1.

D3thN1gh7

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
Macbook 4,1 can get up to Lion. You can install Mavericks, of course with the replacement of the boot.efi, but you won't have QE/CI since there is no 64-bit support for GMA X3100. I don't think it would even boot. I have not tried and I don't want to on my own Macbook 4,1.

Alright. Thanks anyways. A little disappointed but I guess I'll have to settle with Lion. Just hope I'll be ok for awhile security wise and that apple doesn't decide to ditch updates for it.

Here's another question though. Would it be at all possible to change out the GMA X3100 and upgrade it to a better card?

Last edited:

cryingrobot

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Not working for me

I downloaded Mavericks on my Macbook and made the USB bootdisk but when I reboot on my 1,1 it simply goes back to 10.7.5. When I try and run the installation I get this message:

"To download and restore OS X, your computer's eligibility will be verified with Apple."

And then "Could not find installation information for this machine"

Anyone know what could be the issue?

chrisrand

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
I downloaded Mavericks on my Macbook and made the USB bootdisk but when I reboot on my 1,1 it simply goes back to 10.7.5. When I try and run the installation I get this message:

"To download and restore OS X, your computer's eligibility will be verified with Apple."

And then "Could not find installation information for this machine"

Anyone know what could be the issue?

The following links should be of good use for you.

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/1rsp3q/install_mavericks_on_older_mac_pro_11_21_20062007/

http://oemden.com/?p=556

TiberioG

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2013
I have tried to install 10.9 on my mac pro 1.1 with boot.efi and also OSinstall patched in order to add my board id.

The result is that the usb sticks boot properly, with the stock nVidia 7300 and also with my pc card 8500gt, the installer appears on the sreen, magic.
But when I try to insall mavericks on my hdd says that it could not be installed because "essential software is missing".

Any advice?

Many thanks in advance.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
I have tried to install 10.9 on my mac pro 1.1 with boot.efi and also OSinstall patched in order to add my board id.

The result is that the usb sticks boot properly, with the stock nVidia 7300 and also with my pc card 8500gt, the installer appears on the sreen, magic.
But when I try to insall mavericks on my hdd says that it could not be installed because "essential software is missing".

Any advice?

Many thanks in advance.

sounds like u forgot to coppy the packiges folder over were the packiges alias is :(

cryingrobot

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Sorry about the dumb question as I am new to this. Regarding the
Install from the thumb drive on my 1,1. Do I need to replace the boot.ini of the install disk only or is there another boot.ini in my actual system that I need to saw as well?

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Sorry about the dumb question as I am new to this. Regarding the
Install from the thumb drive on my 1,1. Do I need to replace the boot.ini of the install disk only or is there another boot.ini in my actual system that I need to saw as well?

If you followed the instructions to make the install from the thumb drive you don't need to do anything else, just install Mavericks. As the boot.efi has been changed on the installer it is automatically copied to your actual system during installation.

glasside

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2013
Video Card

Hi there

First - a huge thank you to Tiamo and everyone here for all the work and help. It's really so amazing.

I have installed 10.9 and it works very well. Just in one application some plugins I use are causing trouble, and from the searching I've done it looks likely to be a graphics issue.

I'm a bit new to all this, so apologies for the newbishness of the question - but will installing a newer graphics card allow graphics acceleration? I'm hoping a newer card may solve some of my issues.

If so, could anyone recommend a suitable video card for a stock 2,1?

Again many many thanks...

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
I'm a bit new to all this, so apologies for the newbishness of the question - but will installing a newer graphics card allow graphics acceleration? I'm hoping a newer card may solve some of my issues.

What graphics card are you using at the moment?

I'll leave recommendations up to other people though, as I've not looked at graphics cards since I upgraded mine to an AMD 4870 ages back.

glasside

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2013
It's an Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT.

The one that came wit the machine.

Again - thank you for your time.

TiberioG

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2013
It's an Nvidia GeForce 7300 GT.

The one that came wit the machine.

Again - thank you for your time.

I have the same card, now I'm trying to install 10.9 on my 1.1, the installer works with that card, but I'm going to buy an ATI hd5770.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
o.k.; upon further review, ....

[...]

Takes about one minute for Firefox and TBird to sort-through whatever they are sorting-through before the apps regain normal responsiveness.

I searched for similarities, and this seems to have been a common theme through various stages of ML.

Since I jumped directly from Lion to Mavericks (I paid-for and dl'ed ML/installed it once to run it in a VM in order to dl Mavericks), my assessment has no legacy.

Methinks my issue is entirely unrelated to teh boot.efi....

cryingrobot

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
How many times does it actually have to robot after it says it completes. Each time it foes back into the installation and does it again. Should I take put the USB after it says finished? It took over an hour for the installation so something seems wrong.

So frustrating. It completed and I can see my boot drive on start up but when's want to select my new mavericks, it just pulls me back into the installation USB drive. If I take that out, it sends me into boot camp with windows.

Last edited:

cryingrobot

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Not that familiar with the hackintoshing so this has been somewhat of a trial land error thing for me though most of you have found it very straightforward.

I had the same problem with the USB drives and had to try 3 before finding one that works. Then noticed it never behaved the same so around the third try, no more root errors and the booting stuck and took me to an install screen. I am thinking great but after the install, it restRts and sends me right back to the same install screen. Thinking that this is still part of the process, I see its just doing the entire install again from the beginnings. And that is where I am at. Even though he installation program gives me a selection of boot disks including one that clearly says Mac 10.9,I can't boot into it, it always just sends me back into the USB boot program. If I unplug the USB, it then sends me into windows boot amp...my third boot option. Any help would be incredibly appreciated

rpseguin

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2013
I tried it but my MacPro1,1 refuses to boot from the 16GB USB thumb drive that SFOTT created.
The USB drive doesn't show up as a boot option when booting while holding down the Option key. The only bootable drive that shows up is the original MacPro boot drive.
The USB drive does mount fine after OS/X boots up, just not visible as a bootable drive.

Also I recommend cleaning up the wording/terminology and flow in SFOTT:
-use 'USB drive' or 'USB install drive' in place of the word 'key'
-the menu flow is a bit convoluted. Instead of having submenus, just have one level and have the install options right up front.
-have the installer automatically intuit that the install is for a different Mac if the identifier is not in the set of target machines: MacPro1,1, MacPro2,1 or MacMini2,1, ...
-clean up the description and get rid of the confusing and superfluous text.

I successfully installed on MacMini2,1 and MacPro1,1.
this is great I made a small app to automate all this.

Tiamo's did a super great Job

Just input your board_id, your model and the USB key to use and click.
fully automated or step by step. you can even then patch "again" the key to add other computer Boards.
works great. was a personnal challenge to code and as it works fine I though I'd post it in here.

Tiamo thanks again.

If any of you are interested : go there http://oemden.com/?p=556
I've called this little app (shell script bundled in an Applescript App)
SFOTT aka Sixty Four On Thirty Two.

Enjoy as I did.

This is an ongoing Work, but I've tested again and again and it works OK.

Last edited:

cryingrobot

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Help

So I finally got the thing to boot into an installation screen but then that is all it will do. Even after the installation is complete and I am prompted to reboot, it just reboots back to installation screen and runs the entire installation over again. If I quit the installation, I am given a choice of boot disks and one will clearly be 10.9 but it will never boot into that disk. If I take out the USB boot disk, the computer will apparently try for a minute and screen will turn grey and the it will boot into boot camp windows. I am using the tiamo method here on a Mac 1,1. Can anyone here hep me out with what might be going wrong? I have fixed permissions etc, on disk utility.

The computer sees the 10.9 as a bootable disk but cannot boot into it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.