Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
I have no problems with sleep but I do not have a wifi/bluetooth card and I am thinking those older ones may be the cuase of sleep issues

I'm using the original Bluetooth and WiFi cards which shipped with my Mac Pro 1,1 (2006), and haven't had any sleep issues so far.

cscotto

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
Athens OH
A little help?

Ok, I have one barrier still to eliminate to get Maverick's running on my 1,1. I need to modify the OSInstall.mpkg file, but I do not have a Flat Package Editor. I have watched the Youtube videos and done a Google serach, but the links in the video are broken, and a Google search reveals little. I have another MacPro 5,1 with the new X code on it, but it does not have a Flat Package editor that I can tell.

I have also tried OEMDEM's SFOTT application with little success. It just fails to create the USB key.

I would appreciate any help so I can cross this last hurdle.

All the best,

And thanks.

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
Ok, I have one barrier still to eliminate to get Maverick's running on my 1,1. I need to modify the OSInstall.mpkg file, but I do not have a Flat Package Editor. I have watched the Youtube videos and done a Google serach, but the links in the video are broken, and a Google search reveals little. I have another MacPro 5,1 with the new X code on it, but it does not have a Flat Package editor that I can tell.

I have also tried OEMDEM's SFOTT application with little success. It just fails to create the USB key.

All the best,

And thanks.

you need to download "Auxiliary Tools for Xcode - Late July 2012" from the Apple developer site. it's a DMG and it contains PackageMaker.app. you'll find the "Flat Package Editor" inside this app.

cscotto

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
Athens OH
you need to download "Auxiliary Tools for Xcode - Late July 2012" from the Apple developer site. it's a DMG and it contains PackageMaker.app. you'll find the "Flat Package Editor" inside this app.

Thanks. I don't have access to the developers site, so I will have to try another way. The set of instructions posted in the thread do not seems to need this step, so I will try them. Otherwise, I will have to find a colleague that has access to the site. Or get access myself.

Treksdot

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2009
Houston, TX
Everything works great except for the lame graphics coming from the stock ATI X1900XT (new video card is en route).

My word, how did you manage to put up with that card for all these years? I'm amazed it hasn't failed on you seeing how much heat they were known to put out.

Treksdot

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2009
Houston, TX
Another question (for everyone): will it work to use a PC graphics card (ATI Radeon 4890) if I use the method in this thread or does it have to be a Mac graphics card? I've managed to get things to work with Chameleon, but I have problems when waking from sleep –*everything freezes requiring a hard restart.

I suggest flashing it with an EFI ROM to make it function just like a Mac card.(Boot screen, working sleep.) I'v been using a flashed HSI 4890 for years and had no problems so far. There's a long buried thread in this very forum that has all the information you need on how to do it. The only caveat to using a non-Apple card is that you'll need to install the QE/CI patch for every OS update. For 10.9 you'll need to download this one.

ReallyRedCobra

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
Wow I havent visited this site in a while but this sounds awesome.

So just a real quick question. I have a 1,1 with an 570GTX card. my current OS is 10.7.5.

A few questions. I just want to make sure i cover everything before I start.

1. Will the screen work when booting into the maverick usb drive?
  2. Will I need to mess with the gpu drivers once upgraded to 10.9?

oemden

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013

All the best,

And thanks.

Hello cscotto,

strange that it does not work as the tool I use in the script are standard OSX tools as far as I can tell. I've made the tests on the mpkg with a 10.6.8 Macpro3,1 at first and it worked fine. (No developper tools installed on it neither command line tool)

To try to help you what do you mean by it fails but create the USB key ?
I did not made it clear but it must be 8 gig meaning a 4gig is too small.

I also do not see the link between this and the failure creation.

Have you a key allready ? and does it fdails to boot or if it boots does it fails to install (saying Computer not supported ?)

For now another thing I did not explictly said is thta the installer (Install Os X Mavericks I mean) must be in Application folder, the upcoming release should allow to choose another path for the Mavericks installer. I'm working on it actually, basics are ok to search in default path (Applications) then use Spotlight and ultimately ask for it at prompt.

Did you try Step by Step or what I call autorun ?

for the mpkg patch you could, and considering that you do not have a key yet - either by my tool or by disk utility cloning- take a USB key, name it "Os X Base System" replicate the path by making folders so the mpkg is in the right place. for now the sfott will search it in a specifi place that is hardcoded. I may consider to make an extra to choose a specific mpkg location but basically I don't see the point because the so called mpkg has to be in the right place on the key and it would also mess with permissions.
and then try with the step by step and choose the mpkg.

EDIT: bummer I am just go to the Patch again as here it will ask you to choose the Key to patch so no need to rename it. but if you do not have a key then you must replicate the correct path - that should be

/Volumes/MyUSBKEY/System/Installation/Packages if I'm correct.

I also remember that I had failure first because I was making the key from my Macpro3,1 and so did not add the Macpro1,1, this is why I made it possible to add manually other bord_id and or Model.... ;)

Ultimately, here are the basic command line for you to test :

in Terminal cd to your mpkg location.

cd /tothepathofthe/OSInstall.mpkg

then, here are the tool to use:

pkgutil --expand OSInstall.mpkg OSInstallmod

you will then have a folder named OSInstallmod (note OSInstallmod is abritrary label I choosed)

once in the folder, go on and open the plist
and edit it with TextWrangler, nano in the Terminal or Text edit
Once done

Back to the Terminal

pkgutil --flatten OSInstallmod OSInstall.mpkg

You then will have a patched mpkg.

This is the correct procedure and tool to use and it should be in your System fromn scratch.

if you have no erros when doing this I don't think the failure is related to the mpkg itself but with some other stuff.

Another thing I can this of is in the case you entered manually the board_id and or Model you may have make a typo or adding a space character.
Wiping out space charatcer and basic check of the manually entered infos is somthing I also plan to do later, but it would be Hard to check as they are not all with the same lenght.

I'm not sure I can help but I'll try...

Please copy paste the error you have so I can see if may be able to help.

my best,

oem

Last edited:

ReallyRedCobra

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
It will have the same functionality as it does under 10.7.5. If you have a working boot screen with Lion then you will also have it for Mavericks.

Short answer: no. Long answer: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

:)

Figured as much. I'm going to give this a go and use oemdens tool as well. I'm going to upgrade it from 10.7.5 instead of doing new. Will post back with results. So excited!

Last edited:

lurkingbf

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
My word, how did you manage to put up with that card for all these years? I'm amazed it hasn't failed on you seeing how much heat they were known to put out.

Well, I usually open the case, remove the card, and clean it with compressed air about once a month. Probably has something to do with its longevity. I've also heard nothing but bad things about that card but, truthfully, like the rest of this machine, it's been a rock for going on seven years now--and hopefully a few more with this great new hack.

----------

:)

I'm going to upgrade it from 10.7.5 instead of doing new. Will post back with results. So excited!

Great, please do let us know. I have accomplished a fresh install on a spare HD, but am curious to know how the upgrade from 10.7.5 goes. I'm in the same situation (although not yet ready to upgrade my primary drive until I receive my new GTX 570, which is en route).

cscotto

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
Athens OH
Hello cscotto,

strange that it does not work as the tool I use in the script are standard OSX tools as far as I can tell. I've made the tests on the mpkg with a 10.6.8 Macpro3,1 at first and it worked fine. (No developper tools installed on it neither command line tool)

To try to help you what do you mean by it fails but create the USB key ?
I did not made it clear but it must be 8 gig meaning a 4gig is too small.

I also do not see the link between this and the failure creation.

Have you a key allready ? and does it fdails to boot or if it boots does it fails to install (saying Computer not supported ?)

For now another thing I did not explictly said is thta the installer (Install Os X Mavericks I mean) must be in Application folder, the upcoming release should allow to choose another path for the Mavericks installer. I'm working on it actually, basics are ok to search in default path (Applications) then use Spotlight and ultimately ask for it at prompt.

Did you try Step by Step or what I call autorun ?

for the mpkg patch you could, and considering that you do not have a key yet - either by my tool or by disk utility cloning- take a USB key, name it "Os X Base System" replicate the path by making folders so the mpkg is in the right place. for now the sfott will search it in a specifi place that is hardcoded. I may consider to make an extra to choose a specific mpkg location but basically I don't see the point because the so called mpkg has to be in the right place on the key and it would also mess with permissions.
and then try with the step by step and choose the mpkg.

EDIT: bummer I am just go to the Patch again as here it will ask you to choose the Key to patch so no need to rename it. but if you do not have a key then you must replicate the correct path - that should be

/Volumes/MyUSBKEY/System/Installation/Packages if I'm correct.

I also remember that I had failure first because I was making the key from my Macpro3,1 and so did not add the Macpro1,1, this is why I made it possible to add manually other bord_id and or Model.... ;)

Ultimately, here are the basic command line for you to test :

in Terminal cd to your mpkg location.

cd /tothepathofthe/OSInstall.mpkg

then, here are the tool to use:

pkgutil --expand OSInstall.mpkg OSInstallmod

you will then have a folder named OSInstallmod (note OSInstallmod is abritrary label I choosed)

once in the folder, go on and open the plist
and edit it with TextWrangler, nano in the Terminal or Text edit
Once done

Back to the Terminal

pkgutil --flatten OSInstallmod OSInstall.mpkg

You then will have a patched mpkg.

This is the correct procedure and tool to use and it should be in your System fromn scratch.

if you have no erros when doing this I don't think the failure is related to the mpkg itself but with some other stuff.

Another thing I can this of is in the case you entered manually the board_id and or Model you may have make a typo or adding a space character.
Wiping out space charatcer and basic check of the manually entered infos is somthing I also plan to do later, but it would be Hard to check as they are not all with the same lenght.

I'm not sure I can help but I'll try...

Please copy paste the error you have so I can see if may be able to help.

my best,

oem

Hi, thanks for taking a crack at this. The program is easy enough to follow, and I made all the correct choices in the settings. I am using a 16 GB usb flash drive. I will go back and try again working through some of the items you listed. If you want, I can also run it again and copy the messages that appear in the shell. Just off the top of my head, there were many lines that stated the directories were not found, could not find boot.efi. The resulting drive did not boot. I tried it both step by step and autorun. I really wanted it to work, because it would have saved a lot of time. Like I said, I can try again and record what happens.

All the best,

cscotto

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
Athens OH
Installer encountered a problem, clean disc

Thanks to everyone so far. I think I am almost there. I downloaded the developer utilities, and used Flat Package Editor to modify the OSInstall.mpkg file. I did all the other modification successfully. When I restart from my usb stick, I get a boot screen and the installer starts. Then, it goes black but with an installer menu at the top and then warning dialogue appears telling me the installer encountered a problem, clean the disc and try again.

Could this be an indication that my usb stick is causing the problem?

Also, in some instructions it says to REPLACE the last entry in the plist files with your board id. I simply added a new line with my board id. It is just an XML file, so I can't see that it makes a difference (I didn't see any count functions to count the number of board ids). I only bring this up because I am looking for anything I might have done wrong. As always, thanks for the help. I know I am really close, and would to get this done.

Frazzle

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
One final question: when it comes time to install Mavericks on my main drive (which is a three-drive SSD RAID array), will the main drive be overwritten, or will Mavericks be installed over top of my Lion installation? I'm not sure how the installer handles this, given the installation is coming from an external USB drive. Thanks.

My MP had an ML install on a two-drive SSD RAID0. The Mavericks installer simply upgraded it. Only successful on 2nd try though, my array apparently needed some permissions fixed first. Wouldn't expect any problems.

----------

I get a boot screen and the installer starts. Then, it goes black but with an installer menu at the top and then warning dialogue appears telling me the installer encountered a problem, clean the disc and try again.

Could this be an indication that my usb stick is causing the problem?

Also, in some instructions it says to REPLACE the last entry in the plist files with your board id. I simply added a new line with my board id. It is just an XML file, so I can't see that it makes a difference (I didn't see any count functions to count the number of board ids). I only bring this up because I am looking for anything I might have done wrong. As always, thanks for the help. I know I am really close, and would to get this done.

Exact same thing happened to me. Had to fix permissions on my existing installation before it ran all the way through.

Your edits seem okay. As long as your Mac name or your board-id is in the list somewhere. Instructions to 'replace' stem from version of the .plist files where the last lines read "your board-id here" - that line would then have to be replaced.

cscotto

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
Athens OH
Exact same thing happened to me. Had to fix permissions on my existing installation before it ran all the way through.

Your edits seem okay. As long as your Mac name or your board-id is in the list somewhere. Instructions to 'replace' stem from version of the .plist files where the last lines read "your board-id here" - that line would then have to be replaced.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, you repaired permissions on the boot drive already installed on the machine. I will try that and just for the hell of it repair the usb stick too.

EDIT: I repaired permissions, same problem. Any ideas?

Last edited:

ReallyRedCobra

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
I am currently running 10.9 on my Mac Pro 1,1 with a 570 GTX card. :D

I used oemdens app and it worked great.

Thank you to everyone involved in this, especially Tiamo!

Oh and it updated from 10.7.5. with no problems. I really wish I had made a backup prior though because i have some pictures on here that are irreplaceable. Luckily everything went smooth.

Last edited:

louiekenny

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Thank you so much Tiamo. I would pay you $30 CAD for this "copy" of mavericks for my mac pro 1,1 ;).

I am now enjoying it with my XFX HD 6870 (not flashed) and E5340 xeons. No problems what so ever, well besides the usual 6870 problems. I feel like my mac can go on for another few years.

tripmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Switzerland
But exactly how does one overwrite the boot.efi? And if an update were applied that overwrote this file, what would you boot into in order to restore the good copy?

Is there a way to protect that file so that updates can't touch it?

Well, he said above that the 10.9.1 dev update doesn't overwrite it, so we're probably fine... unless Apple decides to get REALLY evil. If so, you just copy the 2 boot.efi files like before. This is assuming you have another HD in the MP 2,1 or another Mac to boot from. I'm keeping a copy of 10.6.8 in mine just incase

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Last check for me.....

Hi all, before I go ahead and give this a shot........

Messages, Boot Camp and Recovery Partition - are they all present and correct in your installations?
If it's all good and I had a 2008 or later I'd then get an Accelsior until I could afford Dusty Bin.

I'm currently using 1085 via Chameleon on a 1,1 with no other hacks like 2,1 firmware.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Messages, Boot Camp and Recovery Partition - are they all present and correct in your installations?
Messages (also FaceTime etc...) works fine.

Boot Camp I've not tried but should be fine.

Recovery Partition is not created, so I had to create it afterwards.
Though I've yet to boot into it, I do use it for FileVault2 and Fine My Mac, which both work fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.