Mac Pro 2009-10 single to dual CPU possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macmesser, Oct 15, 2014.

1. macmesser macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to either upgrade my office machine buy another 4,1-5,1 Mac Pro with better specs. I thought I could perhaps pick up used dual-processor tray and swap it for the single processor tray in my present machine. Does anyone know if this would work? I suspect I'd need to start with a dual CPU machine and upgrade number of cores rather than CPUs, correct? Any insights appreciated.

2. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

if your mac pro is a single processors 4.1 you can only use a 4.1 dual processor tray.

If you upgrade the firmware to 5.1 you still can only use the 4.1 dual processor tray. because the smc firmware dont match.

same goes for a official 5.1 mac pro, you cant use a 4.1 tray only a 5.1.

if you want to use two hexacore westmeres your mac pro needs to be flashed to a 5.1

3. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! So I CAN swap in a dual processor tray as long as it's from the same version Mac Pro, but I will have to flash a version 4,1 to 5,1.

4. h9826790 macrumors G4

h9826790

Yes, get the tray, flash the firmware, and then upgrade the CPU.

5. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

In addition to a dual-processor tray, you also need to install two heatsink and fan units for both processors, and these two different units cost extra. Unless you can find those parts for free or at very low price, you may realize that selling your single-processor MP and then buying a dual-processor one makes more sense.

6. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Personally, I'm on the hunt for a Dual Proc tray as well for my 4,1. As others have said, as long as the tray is from the same model, you'll be fine. Luckily there is a way to tell them apart if the heat sinks are removed.

Since I got my Mac Pro on an absolute steal of a deal, I really had no choice on the processor tray. It also had no RAM or video card, but thats besides the point. What I have done is flash the firmware up to 5,1 and swapped in an W3680 (6-core, 3.33GHz, 12MB Cache). A huge upgrade from the original W3520 (4-core, 2.66GHz, 8MB Cache).

Trust me, these machines are more then capable. What I love compared to the new Mac Pro is the fact you can upgrade almost everything. PCI cards, HDDs, heck, someone even found a way to upgrade the original AirPort Card to a newer one with 802.11ac and Bluetooth 4.0 LE so you can use Handoff/Continuity with the machine. I have 4 hard drives in mine, 1 PCI Card (USB 3.0), upgraded optical drive, up'ed the RAM. If you are a computer guy, these machines are just a blast to work on. I love mine and I would never sell it.

I'd like a nMP, but I will forever hold onto my cheese grater no matter what.

7. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for sharing, and to the others on this thread. Much food for thought and I have a much better idea of my potential upgrade paths.

I have a W3520 in my office machine which is the one I'm looking to upgrade. I've been leery of doing the six core upgrade as I'm not comfortable with the physical mod involved. If I do the multi upgrade I guess I'd need to flash it back down to 4,1, install the dual tray and flash it all up to 5,1? Or would I be good to go with just installing the dual tray?

----------

Thanks. The 4,1 dual tray can just be swapped in after flashing up to 5,1, or is it necessary to have the tray installed before flashing? My machine is already flashed to 5,1.

8. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

Upgrading the CPU on a single processor 2009 Mac Pro, is really not a tough job. It is very intimidating on the 2009 Dual CPU machines however, due to the lidless CPUs used. The single processor machine uses normal lidded CPUs (like all 5,1s) and the process is really pretty easy if you can read, go slowly, and have the proper tools and supplies. I can gladly furnish the necessary instructions and links if you want them.

Lou

9. evildream, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

evildream macrumors newbie

Can you please send me the instruction to how change the single CPU in a 4.1 to 3680?
    My adresse is amine.assaidy@gmail.com
    Thx you very much

10. hellmacpro macrumors member

i can't seem to find anyone to upgrade it...cause i know i can't...

11. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Lou. That would be great.

12. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Have you ever installed a CPU in a regular PC before? If so it's even easier with the single-CPU Mac Pro. You just need a long 3mm hex key (about $4 on Amazon) and some thermal paste.

13. flowrider, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

Read the PDFs attached.

You will need these:

http://www.amazon.com/Eklind-3mm-lo...qid=1414691960&sr=8-2&keywords=3mm+hex+driver

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=arctic+silver

Isopropyl alcohol

Clean lint free handkerchief

An old credit card to spread the thermal paste evenly

Follow the instructions in the PDF files.

This thread may also help, scroll down to post #646, but not my comment in Post #647 about the use of cotton swabs, you really don't want to use those.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1122551&page=26

Lou

Attached Files:

14. hellmacpro macrumors member

not in my life...LOL....i'll look at guide...i think there was a thread long time ago..that posted how to do it, right?

15. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

^^^^My PDF instructions attached above show exactly how to do it right. Have you tried looking at them?

Lou

16. GilBavel macrumors newbie

GilBavel

Me, too, please.
    --Gil @ sunflower.com