Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hamselv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2019
Denmark
Hi all,

I'm new here, so please correct me if I break any unwritten rules.

I have an old Mac Pro with a flashed Radeon 7950, which I love deeply. But I need Windows on it.

I bought it with windows installed on a separate SSD, but after a couple of years I tampered with something that should not have been tampered with and ended up in a BSOD loop. After a couple of weeks of trial and error, and some mourning, I erased the hard drive. Now I am trying to install windows through bootcamp in my sierra install (should I upgrade to Mojave?).

I have plenty of flash drives and external hard drives, but every time I save the windows support files to a drive and go to the next step, the bootcamp assistant tells me that the windows install isn't inserted. I have an win10 iso mounted and no optic drive, so I just want to create a bootable USB, install windows through bootcamp and get back to playing the games of my childhood on my beloved MP.

Is this at all possible, and if so, what am I doing wrong?

I would appreciate any help as I seem to be stuck.

Best,
Hamselv

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Hi all,

I'm new here, so please correct me if I break any unwritten rules.

I have an old Mac Pro with a flashed Radeon 7950, which I love deeply. But I need Windows on it.

I bought it with windows installed on a separate SSD, but after a couple of years I tampered with something that should not have been tampered with and ended up in a BSOD loop. After a couple of weeks of trial and error, and some mourning, I erased the hard drive. Now I am trying to install windows through bootcamp in my sierra install (should I upgrade to Mojave?).

I have plenty of flash drives and external hard drives, but every time I save the windows support files to a drive and go to the next step, the bootcamp assistant tells me that the windows install isn't inserted. I have an win10 iso mounted and no optic drive, so I just want to create a bootable USB, install windows through bootcamp and get back to playing the games of my childhood on my beloved MP.

Is this at all possible, and if so, what am I doing wrong?

I would appreciate any help as I seem to be stuck.

Best,
Hamselv
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ut-a-boot-screen.2114788/page-9#post-26689280

Reactions: hamselv

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
If you don't ABSOLUTELY need Win 10 . . try Win 7 installed on it's own ( spare ) HDD.
Your EFI flashed HD 7950 ( great cards, especially the HIS ones ) ! ) will allow you to boot from Win 7 selected from the EFI chooser screen but at Win 7 bootup you will get a black screen with a flashing cursor .. wait ( up to two minutes ).. . it WILL boot - it always does for me.

I haven't used Bootchamp for 10 years.

Good luck

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I guess I don't need 10.

Would it be possible to install from USB and not DVD?
You have time until January 2020 when Windows 7 will no longer receive security updates. So I would start thinking about transition to Windows 10.

hamselv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2019
Denmark
You have time until January 2020 when Windows 7 will no longer receive security updates. So I would start thinking about transition to Windows 10.
Thanks, I will try the method you linked. Hoping external drive will work.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Oh sorry. My optic drive is external (USB), and the windows SSD is straight to the slot.
Install Windows with DISM++ [for BIOS/MBR Partition]
You may want to partition your drive first:
Code:
rem == CreatePartitions-BIOS.txt ==
rem == These commands are used with DiskPart to
rem    create three partitions
rem    for a BIOS/MBR-based computer.
rem    Adjust the partition sizes to fill the drive
rem    as necessary. ==
select disk 0
clean
rem == 1. System partition ======================
create partition primary size=500
format quick fs=ntfs label="System"
assign letter="S"
active
rem == 2. Windows partition =====================
rem ==    a. Create the Windows partition =======
create partition primary
rem ==    b. Create space for the recovery tools
rem       ** Update this size to match the size of
rem          the recovery tools (winre.wim)
rem          plus some free space.
shrink minimum=500
rem ==    c. Prepare the Windows partition ======
format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"
assign letter="W"
rem == 3. Recovery tools partition ==============
create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs label="Recovery"
assign letter="R"
set id=27
list volume
exit
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...configure-biosmbr-based-hard-drive-partitions
For UEFI boot partition like this:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...configure-uefigpt-based-hard-drive-partitions

Last edited:

hamselv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2019
Denmark
Install Windows with DISM++ [for BIOS/MBR Partition]
You may want to partition your drive first:
Code:
rem == CreatePartitions-BIOS.txt ==
rem == These commands are used with DiskPart to
rem    create three partitions
rem    for a BIOS/MBR-based computer.
rem    Adjust the partition sizes to fill the drive
rem    as necessary. ==
select disk 0
clean
rem == 1. System partition ======================
create partition primary size=500
format quick fs=ntfs label="System"
assign letter="S"
active
rem == 2. Windows partition =====================
rem ==    a. Create the Windows partition =======
create partition primary
rem ==    b. Create space for the recovery tools
rem       ** Update this size to match the size of
rem          the recovery tools (winre.wim)
rem          plus some free space.
shrink minimum=500
rem ==    c. Prepare the Windows partition ======
format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"
assign letter="W"
rem == 3. Recovery tools partition ==============
create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs label="Recovery"
assign letter="R"
set id=27
list volume
exit
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...configure-biosmbr-based-hard-drive-partitions
For UEFI boot partition like this:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...configure-uefigpt-based-hard-drive-partitions
Thanks. Could I perform similar partitioning in mac os, or tails os on a USB drive? I have no way to use diskpart right now.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Thanks. Could I perform similar partitioning in mac os, or tails os on a USB drive? I have no way to use diskpart right now.
You can try Vmware machine or parallels with windows as a guest OS and attach the SSD using SATA to USB converter to the virtual machine.

Last edited:

hamselv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2019
Denmark

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I followed the guide and it worked... until I got up windows 10 and use brigadier to download bootcamp drivers. Installing bootcamp 6 fails with a dll error (will try again and note the exact error code), and rebooting after installing bootcamp 5 results in a BSOD after logging in. The code is wdf_violation. Have you ever experienced this?
I think I had similar error. Which version of the Windows installer you use? I beleive the old one 1809 does not show this issue.
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...ion-bsod-after-installing-windows-10-updates/

hamselv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2019
Denmark
I installed win 7 pro via DVD and then updated to 10 directly in windows, so its build 1903. Should I try to downgrade? If that is at all possible.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I installed win 7 pro via DVD and then updated to 10 directly in windows, so its build 1903. Should I try to downgrade? If that is at all possible.
You have to replace the offending drivers in the system32 folder and the store folder, but first, you need to take a note from the windows error message. You may have to boot in safe mode and see the log file for the error

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I followed the guide and it worked... until I got up windows 10 and use brigadier to download bootcamp drivers. Installing bootcamp 6 fails with a dll error (will try again and note the exact error code), and rebooting after installing bootcamp 5 results in a BSOD after logging in. The code is wdf_violation. Have you ever experienced this?
There seems to be an incompatibility with the latest May update (build 1903) and one or more of the Bootcamp drivers which leads to the WDF_VIOLATION error.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I had this error:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ws-to-go/8549d8d1-117e-4ed5-ae74-eaedc26bd877
this helped me:
"
Issue still not fixed in latest (updated Jan 2019) ISO releases of Win10 1809 on MSDN, available since ~Jan 15. Revision of WppRecorder.sys for 1809 has not been updated since initial RS5 release, and date stamp is still 09/14/2018.

I've been successful working around this BSOD by replacing WppRecorder.sys with the RS4 (17134) version in two locations within the RS5 install.wim file:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers

C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-wpprecorder_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.17763.1_none_060210566a88f6b5

To circumvent the file permissions lockout when replacing these files, I booted into WinPE, ran a script to mount the RS5 install.wim, do the file replacements, then unmounted.

Once WppRecorder.sys at these 2 locations are replaced with RS4 version, the standard Windows To Go procedure using the modified install.wim works even with external USB enclosures supporting UASP."

Last edited:

hamselv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2019
Denmark
I had this error:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ws-to-go/8549d8d1-117e-4ed5-ae74-eaedc26bd877
this helped for me:
"
Issue still not fixed in latest (updated Jan 2019) ISO releases of Win10 1809 on MSDN, available since ~Jan 15. Revision of WppRecorder.sys for 1809 has not been updated since initial RS5 release, and date stamp is still 09/14/2018.

I've been successful working around this BSOD by replacing WppRecorder.sys with the RS4 (17134) version in two locations within the RS5 install.wim file:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers

C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-wpprecorder_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.17763.1_none_060210566a88f6b5

To circumvent the file permissions lockout when replacing these files, I booted into WinPE, ran a script to mount the RS5 install.wim, do the file replacements, then unmounted.

Once WppRecorder.sys at these 2 locations are replaced with RS4 version, the standard Windows To Go procedure using the modified install.wim works even with external USB enclosures supporting UASP."

The bootcamp5 drivers wont install on win10. Could I simply not, to circumvent the problem? Just install bootcamp61, remove the bad hp drivers and move on?

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
The bootcamp5 drivers wont install on win10. Could I simply not, to circumvent the problem? Just install bootcamp61, remove the bad hp drivers and move on?

FWIW I never bothered to install the old bootcamp on my Win10 install. Not only does that avoid the hassle of having to jump through hoops to subsequently install bootcamp61, from what I can tell there was no benefit to installing bootcamp51--either newer drivers were present in bootcamp61 or were installed via Windows Update.

I think the only thing I had to manually install drivers for was my ebay-sourced BT4.0/802.11ac Airport card. Drivers for that weren't included in the imacpro bootcamp package, and they sure as hell weren't in the macpro5,1 bootcamp5 package. I believe I used brigadier to download the bootcamp package for the 2017 iMac and got them from there.

Anyway, unless someone knows of something concrete you get on Win10 from installing bootcamp5 on the cMP, I think that whole part of the tutorial is unnecessary at this point. Willing to be proven wrong, of course!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.