Mac Pro 2010 duals differences

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cube, Aug 19, 2010.

1. cube macrumors G5

Are there any differences between the different dual configurations besides the chip themselves? (motherboard, heatsinks, etc.)

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

3. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Where are the exact differences among the duals?

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

There are 8 slots on the dual socket models, but only 4 on the single socket models. Also, the heatsinks are different, its not like the singles are just missing one.

5. eponym macrumors 6502

Um, I think he/she was asking if there's differences between the different duals themselves. Not dual versus single CPU.

i.e. 8-core vs 12-core

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The backplane board is the same, but the CPU/memory riser cards are not. Single-CPU versions have a single CPU socket and 4 DIMM sockets. Dual-CPU versions have two CPU sockets and 8 DIMM sockets.

7. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Exactly. I am asking about the differences among the duals, not versus single-socket.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I doubt there is anything official or confirmed as of yet but I personally doubt there is any difference. It would be too big hassle to use different parts for 8-core and 12-core while both can be made by using the same parts. We have to wait till further information. Both, 8 and 12-core even use the same B1 stepping so they will use the same EFI as well.