Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibuick

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2014
Beijing
I got a kit of 4TB internal ssd module of Mac Pro this morning. Then use configurator 2 to upgrade it.

According to this guide, I upgrade my stock 1TB to 4TB now.

IMG_6136.jpeg

IMG_6138.jpeg

eflx

macrumors regular
May 14, 2020
Awesome - very happy to see they've provided the option to upgrade your own SSD instead of having to take it into Apple. One step closer to a fully user-serviceable & upgradeable Mac. I think that's the only component left really that Apple needed to offer a direct replacement for and what people were worried about with the T2 chip.

A high-quality motherboard will last for a very long time. The power supply is about the only thing which Apple might have to sell separately for repairs, but even then - a very high quality PSU usually doesn't have issue for a very long service life. Nice work Apple.

@choreo - most people who upgrade and work on PC's like I did back in the day, have access to a 2nd PC they can at least 'borrow' for an hour. No different here, and retains the security of the T2 encryption on the drive, while still allowing at-home upgrades.

ibuick

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2014
Beijing
Were your new blades numbered/labeled as 1 and 2, or were they blank?

00 and 01
[automerge]1592332217[/automerge]
Awesome - very happy to see they've provided the option to upgrade your own SSD instead of having to take it into Apple. One step closer to a fully user-serviceable & upgradeable Mac. I think that's the only component left really that Apple needed to offer a direct replacement for and what people were worried about with the T2 chip.

A high-quality motherboard will last for a very long time. The power supply is about the only thing which Apple might have to sell separately for repairs, but even then - a very high quality PSU usually doesn't have issue for a very long service life. Nice work Apple.

@choreo - most people who upgrade and work on PC's like I did back in the day, have access to a 2nd PC they can at least 'borrow' for an hour. No different here, and retains the security of the T2 encryption on the drive, while still allowing at-home upgrades.

The only problem is that it required you have another Mac to run Configurator.

Reactions: rxs0

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
There is another thread discussing that they can NOT be swapped or repurposed:

Personally think it would be possible, but someone would need to try first. Interesting that the new upgrade modules are not labeled 1 & 2 as illustrated in the support documents. Maybe there really is not anything "special" about either module and they're just numbered, able to be put into either slot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.