mac pro 4,1->5,1 windows only?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by joebclash, Jun 9, 2019.

1. joebclash macrumors regular

I have a young family member staying with my family for the next few months. He's not bring his gaming pc. Can I just remove the macos hd from my mac pro and put in a new hd and install only windows? I want him to use my mac pro as a gaming pc. After he leaves I will remove the windows hd and just put back my macos hd in the mac pro. Will everything return back to normal? Can I just install windows using a usb windows install disk without bootcamp?

2. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

3. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I followed these instructions exactly as posted a couple of months ago, except I tried a USB drive as I had no blank DVDs and it worked without a single issue. OP might have the same results but the DVD method is definitely less likely to cause a hiccup.

4. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

It's nothing about USB cannot install Windows, or causing difficulties.

But if you hold "C" to boot from USB Windows installation media, Windows will be defaulted to install in UEFI mode. Which will write a certificate in the cMP's BootROM (firmware). Under normal situation, cMP only treat this cert as rubbish in the firmware. However, for unknown reason, in some rare case, Windows will write a 2nd or even 3rd certificates in the BootROM. And observation shows that the 3rd cert may make the BootROM so corrupted and effectively brick the logic board. This is the reason why should we avoid using USB installation media what that procedures.

5. joebclash thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice. Is there any performance issues to not using UEFI?

6. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I see! Very good to know.

7. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

I will be very surprised if you can feel the difference in any game.

8. cdf macrumors 6502

One difficulty with this is that the ISO that Microsoft currently provides does not fit on a regular DVD. Other than using a dual-layer disk, is there an easy way to use a DVD? Are there any other ways to force a CSM install?

9. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

That procedure is for “no boot screen graphic cards”.

If have any Mac EFI UGA GPU, hold option to boot can always choose legacy mode.

10. tsialex macrumors 601

tsialex

Use RUFUS with BIOS?
    Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 07.50.56.png

11. joebclash thread starter macrumors regular

Using this I can create a usb windows installer without using UEFI and potentially damaging my mac pro?