Mac pro 4 core or 8 core?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Toneboat923, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Toneboat923 macrumors member

Howdy,
    Well as a breif introduction i am new here as well as new to mac's. i just made the big conversion from pc to mc (thank god). I recently purchased a new mac pro (4 core) and new mac book pro. More recently I learned that apple is releasing an 8-core mac pro. This fustrates me a little because I JUST purchased the 4 core.

Now I am a design student and trust me this mac pro definately meets my needs, but I am wondering how big of a difference the 8 core makes? Would it be worth returning or selling my mac pro and getting the 8 core?:confused:

2. p.luik macrumors regular

I have an 8 core mac pro now. They have been out since January. Did you really not know about he 8 core standard mac pro since january? You would have had to downgrade to a 4 core.

3. Toneboat923 thread starter macrumors member

When I went to my local Apple store they told me that the 8 core wasn't available "yet" and that this was the best one out now.....

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

they have been out for ages as the standard configuration

the dude lied to you

scroll down to the macpro section to see the updtae history
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

the 8 core option has been available since april 2007 by the way, but only in jan did it become the standard config

id take it back if you really wanted the 8 core personally

5. p.luik macrumors regular

For sure dude. He was definitely trying to get rid of that Mac Pro. lol Don't sit down for a while, I'm sure it will hurt considering how you just took it in the *ss.

6. Toneboat923 thread starter macrumors member

i may be a little bit of a noob on this but i just looked over my recipt and I don't know if this means anything but it says..

Mac Pro 2.8
    8cx/2x1g/320/2600xt/sd

7. Toneboat923 thread starter macrumors member

on my mac specs it also says

2 x 2.8 ghz quad-core intel xeon

so dos this mean i have 8 core and the salesman is a moron?

8. p.luik macrumors regular

You have an 8 core mac. 2 CPU x Quad core each = 8 Cores

9. Toneboat923 thread starter macrumors member

ahhhhhhhh ok ..thanks..sorry to be such a newb but I never really took much interest in any computer I've own internally so when I got this mac i wanted to make sure I had the best...after all I did spend 5 grand in one day :cool:

10. p.luik macrumors regular

Just in case, could you post the items you bought and how much you paid for each? I dont want you to have gotten ripped off after what the salesman said about the cores. Thanks.

11. Toneboat923 thread starter macrumors member

mackbook pro 1,999 with 200.00 discount

mac pro 2,799 with 200.00 discount

then he got me to upgrade the ram on the laptop from 2 gig to 4 gig for 400.00 then i got 200.00 back for selling back the two 1 gig chips (if that makes any sense)

12. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

You should never buy Apple RAM. It's wicked expensive. You can get 4GB or RAM from Crucial or Kingston for less that $90.

13. Toneboat923 thread starter macrumors member

well the laptop i onyl paid 100.00 bucks for 2 gig so its not that bad, but i more recently threw another 4 gig of ram into my mac pro for 120.00 from new egg wich was a sweet deal...I wanna have the ram all filled up by xmas

14. p.luik macrumors regular

Why does somebody that doesn't know how many cores their mac pro has need 32GB of RAM? What do you use your MP for?

15. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Unless you run complex algorithms and simulations like my dad does with his company's mac pro 8 core with 64GB ram, you probably don't need more than 10-15gb of ram. and if someone posts saying that 64GB ram is impossible, the mac pro in question runs linux with supports 64gb ram and they expanded the ram slots.

16. p.luik macrumors regular

10-15gb is way too much for this noob. There's a reason the Mac Pro ships with 2gb RAM. That's all he will need to brag on macrumors.

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Let's be nice. Saying the OP is a noob isn't called for. Maybe he just doesn't understand his needs.. Iono..:cool::confused:

18. p.luik macrumors regular

I was only restating what the OP said himself. I did not assume this.

19. Toneboat923 thread starter macrumors member

20. DaveF macrumors 6502a

It sounds like there was misunderstanding. The salesperson may have thought you were asking for an octo-core CPU. He's right, there is no such Mac yet; quad-core CPUs top the charts for now.

What you got, and is being referred to as an 8-core system, is really dual quad-core CPUs. Which is what you wanted, but probably didn't realize that, and the salesperson didn't grasp that's what you meant.

21. p.luik macrumors regular

I'm being serious... I would like to know what you think you would do with 32 GB RAM.

22. Toneboat923 thread starter macrumors member

why not? if the space is there? Don't we all want the "best" out of everything? :D

23. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Seems nobody answered the original question yet...

The eight core Mac doesn't do anything faster than the quad core. But you can throw more work at it... and more... and more... and more... At the point where the quad core has four cores running at hundred percent, you have still four cores doing nothing. So you can throw more work at it... and more... and more... and more...

Turn on Activity Monitor while your Mac is working really hard and display the "CPU window". You'll see eight bars showing CPU activity. When they average over 50 percent, that's where the four core Mac would start slowing down.

24. Toneboat923 thread starter macrumors member

25. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Open Activity Monitor.app (located in "/Applications/Utilities/") and click on the CPU tab or press command+2.