Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
Awesome, thanks nanofrog! I'll be putting the orders in this evening.

Can't wait to get it all!!!

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Will either of these two molex power cables work? One of them says its only for sata 1 or 2 drives, not sata 3. I'm trying to order most of it from one place, newegg. Is there a specific SATA 3 power cable I need to buy?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._to_4-pin_Molex_(Male)-_-12-816-038-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._to_4-pin_Molex_(Male)-_-12-186-043-_-Product
It won't matter; just get the connector spec and gender correct, and you'll be good to go (use what I linked as a guideline, as it has pics of both ends, including the correct gender). :)

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
I just bought the one from Microbarn, the ones on NewEgg did not have the exact same description and I wanted to be sure. Last thing I want is to have everything ready and realize I have the wrong cable. So all the stuff is ordered, cant wait to get it. I'm going to list out the steps of what I need to do, just so I have a good reference point.

1. Install RAID card and SSD's in MP by plugging the SSD's to the RAID card via the mini SAS Fanout cable and also connecting molex power cable to the power section of the backplane connector. Make sure everything works and is seen by my MP.
Question: Which PCIe slot should I plug the RAID card into? 2, 3 and 4 are empty on my MP.

2. FLASH the RAID card with the EFI firmware via Firefox. I'm assuming the EFI firmware comes on the disc they provide, or can be found online.
Question: is the flashing pretty straight forward? Or are there certain steps that need to be carefully taken?

3. Clone my current SSD that has the OS on it to my new SSD.

4. Select my new SSD that is hooked up to the RAID card as my boot disc and reboot to ensure the RAID card is bootbable.

5. Create my RAID 0 out of the other 3 SSD's.

6. Put my seatbelt on because my MP will be flying!

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
1. Install RAID card and SSD's in MP by plugging the SSD's to the RAID card via the mini SAS Fanout cable and also connecting molex power cable to the power section of the backplane connector. Make sure everything works and is seen by my MP.
Question: Which PCIe slot should I plug the RAID card into? 2, 3 and 4 are empty on my MP.
The first thing you should do, is make a backup of any critical data, just in case something goes wrong (user error, ...).

The 2nd step = install drivers, even before you open the side of the computer). After the drivers are in, install all of the hardware.

Slot 2 would be the best choice, as the card is 8x lanes, and Slots 3 and 4 share the same 4x lanes via a PCIe switch.

2. FLASH the RAID card with the EFI firmware via Firefox. I'm assuming the EFI firmware comes on the disc they provide, or can be found online.
Question: is the flashing pretty straight forward? Or are there certain steps that need to be carefully taken?
Yes, the EBC firmware can be found on the disk or on their site (have to dig, as it's buried).

As per steps, just make sure you click the "Confirm Operation" box before you flash or change settings, or they will not be performed and drive you nutz.

3. Clone my current SSD that has the OS on it to my new SSD.

4. Select my new SSD that is hooked up to the RAID card as my boot disc and reboot to ensure the RAID card is bootable.

5. Create my RAID 0 out of the other 3 SSD's.

6. Put my seatbelt on because my MP will be flying!
Yes. :)

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
I do a daily backup so thats no worry.

What drivers would I need to install? Will they be on the disc that comes with the RAID card? Will there be one for the enclosure as well?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
What drivers would I need to install?
  • RAID card drivers
  • eSATA card drivers (drivers are needed to provide Port Multiplier Support)
Will they be on the disc that comes with the RAID card? Will there be one for the enclosure as well?
Yes. Each unit (RAID card + eSATA enclosure kit) will contain the necessary drivers for their respective cards.

Install both prior to physically installing the hardware inside the MP.

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
Perfect, all items have shipped! By this time next week it should all be set up. Hopefully I can just post some awesome read/write speeds and no more questions :)

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
Quick question Nanofrog, the 4 bay enclosure I ordered from newegg arrived today. The box says that the interface supports SAS, SATA1 and SATA 2. Is this going to be a problem since I'm going after SATA 3 speeds? OR does none of that matter since I'm using the SATA3 RAID card?

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
I just realized I already asked you that question about the enclosure :). You said the speed should not be affected. I was just surprised (and a little scared) when I saw up to SATA 2 speeds on the box.

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
OK, I've edited this post like 5 times becuase I keep getting further in the process. I have finally been able to connect to the web based controller. Heres the deal ...

Just a note ... I can create a RAID set out of the discs with the "Create RAID" function, the problem is my Mac Pro wont see the raid set. If I create the RAID set using the "Quick Create" then my Mac Pro sees the disc and ask me to initialize the disc. The only issue I see with the "Quick Create" is is only allows me to do a block size of 128KB, vs 256KB with a software RAID in OSX. Pass through works fine as well. For some reason when I use "Create RAID" my mac pro will not see the drives. So I have one disc on pass-through and the other three on a RAID 0 using the "quick create" function.

Some Questions ...

1. I've downloaded the firmware for the 1880i, it has BIOS, BOOT, FIRM, MBRO files. The BOOT file is the one I need to use to be able to boot from the card. I select that file and confirm changes and it does it successfully. I can select my new Boot disc from the system preferences and it boots fine. The problem is, when I remove my old boot disc, the system will not start up, it gives me a "?" when the white screen loads and will only start up once I load my old boot drive back in my mac pro. Why is it doing that and how can I prevent? I plan on selling my old boot drive.

2. The 4 bay enclosure has two fans, and they are very loud. So loud that I want to unhook the power cords to the fans (red and black wires) so they stop working. Do you think I'd have issues with heat if I did that? I thought SSD's run much cooler than a regular HD and isn't there a fan already up there by the optical bays? I'd much prefer yo not have those fans running but want to make sure it will be ok.

2. Doing some benchmark test on the set of 3 SSD's in a RAID 0 show a huge gain in speed, 2000 MB/s reads and 1400 MB/s writes, but in some real world use test, I barely see a difference. For example, I regularly work on 3-4 GB files, so I opened up a 3 GB file in PS, and it only opened 1-2 seconds faster on my 3 SSD RAID set than my 1 disc caviar black. The RAID set is leaps and bounds faster but I barely noticed a difference in real world use. Is that to be expected?

I do see a big increase in speed when moving or copying large sets of files, the new RAID 0 moves 2-3x as fast as my 1 TB caviar black.

Where will I see a big performance gain? I'd think I'd notice it immensely through using my adobe cs apps and exporting large PDF's, opening huge files and savinf huge files, but I dont see a difference.

Last edited:

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Just a note ... I can create a RAID set out of the discs with the "Create RAID" function, the problem is my Mac Pro wont see the raid set. If I create the RAID set using the "Quick Create" then my Mac Pro sees the disc and ask me to initialize the disc. The only issue I see with the "Quick Create" is is only allows me to do a block size of 128KB, vs 256KB with a software RAID in OSX. Pass through works fine as well. For some reason when I use "Create RAID" my mac pro will not see the drives. So I have one disc on pass-through and the other three on a RAID 0 using the "quick create" function.
128K is typical for the max value on an Areca card. Set it for the largest value, and be done with it (based on file sizes used on this array will be large).

1. I've downloaded the firmware for the 1880i, it has BIOS, BOOT, FIRM, MBRO files. The BOOT file is the one I need to use to be able to boot from the card. I select that file and confirm changes and it does it successfully. I can select my new Boot disc from the system preferences and it boots fine. The problem is, when I remove my old boot disc, the system will not start up, it gives me a "?" when the white screen loads and will only start up once I load my old boot drive back in my mac pro. Why is it doing that and how can I prevent? I plan on selling my old boot drive.
The usual firmware is BIOS, not EBC (i.e. if you download v 1.49 off of the support page). You'll need to replace the existing BOOT.BIN with the EBC based firmware located on the disk that came with the card.

Once you get the above solved, then let's see if the Boot Manager is still a problem.

2. The 4 bay enclosure has two fans, and they are very loud. So loud that I want to unhook the power cords to the fans (red and black wires) so they stop working. Do you think I'd have issues with heat if I did that? I thought SSD's run much cooler than a regular HD and isn't there a fan already up there by the optical bays? I'd much prefer yo not have those fans running but want to make sure it will be ok.
You could disconnect the fans and see what happens, as SSD's don't run as hot as mechanicals. The only issue would be the small enclosure.

If they're getting too hot with the fans disabled, you'll have 2 choices; re-connect them and live with it, or try to replace them for quieter units. Unfortunately, small fans of that size (40mm IIRC) tend to be loud due to their small size (have to run high RPM to move enough air). Quieter will mean there's a sacrifice in airflow, but it should be acceptable with SSD's vs. HDD's.

3. Doing some benchmark test on the set of 3 SSD's in a RAID 0 show a huge gain in speed, 2000 MB/s reads and 1400 MB/s writes, but in some real world use test, I barely see a difference. For example, I regularly work on 3-4 GB files, so I opened up a 3 GB file in PS, and it only opened 1-2 seconds faster on my 3 SSD RAID set than my 1 disc caviar black. The RAID set is leaps and bounds faster but I barely noticed a difference in real world use. Is that to be expected?
What are you using for scratch?

I ask, as that can make a difference (i.e. sharing the working data and scratch on the same drives will slow you down). PS seems to look for scratch, even if it's not needed (old programming code from when physical memory was super expensive that's followed through multiple revisions).

I do see a big increase in speed when moving or copying large sets of files, the new RAID 0 moves 2-3x as fast as my 1 TB caviar black.

Where will I see a big performance gain? I'd think I'd notice it immensely through using my adobe cs apps and exporting large PDF's, opening huge files and saving huge files, but I don't see a difference.
I'm not sure what all you're doing yet, as details matter.

Check the above first (scratch location), and go from there.

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
The usual firmware is BIOS, not EBC (i.e. if you download v 1.49 off of the support page). You'll need to replace the existing BOOT.BIN with the EBC based firmware located on the disk that came with the card.

Once you get the above solved, then let's see if the Boot Manager is still a problem.

I'm not sure how to do this then. I downloaded the correct version from online, it has the four files (boot, bios, firm, MBRO). Through the web interface, I went to "upgrade firmware", selected the boot file, and updated it. It said it was done successfully. How do I replace the boot.bin file with the EBC firmware?

What are you using for scratch?

I ask, as that can make a difference (i.e. sharing the working data and scratch on the same drives will slow you down). PS seems to look for scratch, even if it's not needed (old programming code from when physical memory was super expensive that's followed through multiple revisions).

I'm not sure what all you're doing yet, as details matter.

Check the above first (scratch location), and go from there.

Right now its set to the 2TB caviar black, which only has about 500GB on it. I'm a graphic designer, and work in the adobe suite all day, I regularly work on larger files, 2-4GB. I also work on smaller stuff as well. I design a magazine every month also and have to export the whole layout as a PDF file. Usually takes about a minute or so to do. My new RAID set is not any faster at doing this though InDesign. I expected it to be a lot faster. Not sure what the deal is. Should I be seeing a big performance gains in regular work like I described?

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
I cant find the EFB firmware on the disc, the only thing I see besides the MAC OSX MRAID installer is an EFI firmware folder. Inside are directions to ..."**How TO Install rEFIt Shell Environment And Invoke Areca McBIOS RAID Setup*"

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
I've looked and looked and cant find the EBC base firmware which is suppose to replace the BOOT.bin file. I'm also not sure how to do it once I do find the EBC firmware file. I'm just helpless :)

Last edited:

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I'm not sure how to do this then. I downloaded the correct version from online, it has the four files (boot, bios, firm, MBRO). Through the web interface, I went to "upgrade firmware", selected the boot file, and updated it. It said it was done successfully. How do I replace the boot.bin file with the EBC firmware?
What you downloaded was the BIOS version.

The EBC (they call it EFI) is in a folder on the disk. It's also on the website, but it's buried rather deep (not easy to find; you have to get into the ftp directory tree and locate it that way). But for convenience, here it is; ARC1880EBC.BIN (direct download).

If you can't figure it out, it's in the manual (changes BOOT.BIN so the MP can boot the card). ;)

Right now its set to the 2TB caviar black, which only has about 500GB on it. I'm a graphic designer, and work in the adobe suite all day, I regularly work on larger files, 2-4GB. I also work on smaller stuff as well. I design a magazine every month also and have to export the whole layout as a PDF file. Usually takes about a minute or so to do. My new RAID set is not any faster at doing this though InDesign. I expected it to be a lot faster. Not sure what the deal is. Should I be seeing a big performance gains in regular work like I described?
Keep in mind, it's still a mechanical disk, which means it has to spin up before it can be used. So disabling the Power Management (sleep) setting for the HDD's could help here.

Shifting the scratch to an SSD would be a bigger improvement though (the 40GB Pro version from OWC is a good choice for this, as it's under $100USD). If you do this, use one of the ICH ports if possible (physical location is easy, as you can just Zip tie or Velcro it to one of the mechanical disks in one of the HDD bays. Get power off of the same area that you're using for the 4 bay enclosure, and a RT angle SATA data cable, and attach it to the logic board (where one of the HDD's used to connect before you added the HDD kit from MaxUpgrades for the card).

I cant find the EFB firmware on the disc, the only thing I see besides the MAC OSX MRAID installer is an EFI firmware folder. Inside are directions to ..."**How TO Install rEFIt Shell Environment And Invoke Areca McBIOS RAID Setup*"
That's the right location (actual firmware file is named ARC1880EBC.BIN; note EBC in it, not EFI - EBC allows it to work in both 32 and 64 bit system firmware = works in 2006 to current models, as well as future models).

But I've also given you a direct download link off of Areca's support site. Doesn't get any easier than this... :p

I've looked and looked and cant find the EBC base firmware which is suppose to replace the BOOT.bin file. I'm also not sure how to do it once I do find the EBC firmware file. I'm just helpless :)
Once you download the correct file (or pull it off of the disk if you prefer), it's self explanatory (same procedure as the BIOS version you've already been using - just replace BOOT.BIN, as that's what contains the boot code).

If you run into difficulties, the procedure is listed in your manual (immediate gratification rather than waiting for a reply).

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
Booting is working now, thank you.

Although, my overall experience with performance is very disappointing. The only area I notice any speed gains is copying or moving files. The triple striped SSD volume is quick in that area. In all the adobe apps, it's just about the same as my 2TB caviar black. Most things I do I'm not seeing any difference.

Photoshop is the only adobe app that allows you to select a scratch disc. And I'm certain that is not the issue anyway. It seems that the apps just can't take advantage of high I/O speeds.

Is this the general consensus?

It would be far cheaper to use a set of 3 TB striped drives. The benchmark test for the SSD's are amazing, but real world use is still the same. I'm very shocked about this fact.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
I bought 6G anyway. I run now at 3Gb (Mac Pro) and within the 5 year warranty of the drives I am sure I'll get a 6Gb Mac. Instant saturation of the new bus as well. All for 50.00 more. SSD's are the one thing to move from one machine to the other.

SATA IV will be out by then...

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Booting is working now, thank you.
:cool: NP. :)

Although, my overall experience with performance is very disappointing. The only area I notice any speed gains is copying or moving files. The triple striped SSD volume is quick in that area. In all the adobe apps, it's just about the same as my 2TB caviar black. Most things I do I'm not seeing any difference.
The hardware is fine, so your issues are with PS. I don't know what other parts of CS5 you may use (or other applications for that matter), but some are capable of using threading to speed things up, including being able to utilize your storage configuration (i.e. After Effects or Media Encoder).

Photoshop is the only adobe app that allows you to select a scratch disc. And I'm certain that is not the issue anyway. It seems that the apps just can't take advantage of high I/O speeds.
It seems that PS isn't the only application in CS5 that can allow the user to specify a scratch location.

And sgginc's link may be of assistance as well with your PS load/save times.

It would be far cheaper to use a set of 3 TB striped drives. The benchmark test for the SSD's are amazing, but real world use is still the same. I'm very shocked about this fact.
It all comes down to the software.

In your case, the issue is with PS. But there are other areas, such as animation, that can utilize the storage system you've created (no idea if you do any animation or not).

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
Thanks for the response everyone.

The Mac Performance Link will not help me, I have to save my Photoshop files as layered PSD's since they are design files that will need to be opened back up and modified at any given time. According to Mac Performance Guide, the only improvement we can see from faster striped drives is from uncompressed tif files. Which I do for my photography work, but 90% of my work on my Mac Pro is paid design work.

I apologize, I do know that Illustrator allows for two scratch discs, and I have them set. But it does not improve performance for me. The scratch disc only come into play when memory runs out, I've tested it and watched a system monitor to verify this. I rarely run into that situation since I have 24GB of RAM installed.

My most used apps are Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Dreamweaver (in that order). One of my large monthly projects is designing a magazine, which is obviously done in InDesign. I was really hoping to speed up the process of opening, saving and especially exporting a high-res, print PDF of the whole issue. I'm only seeing about a 2 second difference with the three striped SSD volume, even though a hardware test shows a 15X improvement in speed. I also have a 3-4GB layered PSD file that has to be edited every month, I was hoping to save on edit and save time but I only see about a 2 second difference. Majorly disappointing.

So it appears that its not only Photoshop that uses one CPU core for opening and saving files. All the adobe apps I use are like this. This is extremely disappointing for me because it was the only reason why I wanted to set up a SSD RAID volume on a 6Gb/s RAID card. I was wanting to speed up my everyday work tasks but its just not happening.

I'm using CS5, not the new CS5.5 but I doubt any changes have been made in this area. Mac Performance Guide would be all over it if the newer version of PS had improvements. Maybe it will happen in the future, but I dont think anytime soon.

It looks like I may be sending back the RAID card and SSD's. I have a hard time justifying spending $1400 for the setup when I don't get the performance boost that comes with it. Its going to be hard for me to do this, I LOVE watching the RAID volume run up the score on AJA System Test or XBench.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
It looks like I may be sending back the RAID card and SSD's. I have a hard time justifying spending $1400 for the setup when I don't get the performance boost that comes with it. Its going to be hard for me to do this, I LOVE watching the RAID volume run up the score on AJA System Test or XBench.
Understandable....

That kind of speed is addictive, but if you can't actually use it for what you bought it for, then it's useless to you and a waste of funds.

If you're after a modest configuration that would be suitable for your application limitations and easier on the wallet, you could consider an SSD OS/applications disk, SSD for scratch, and mechanical disk array using the ICH (i.e. 10 if you want some speed + redundancy, stripe set if you want to live dangerously; based on 4x disks). You may need a Highpoint 620 for a couple of additional internal ports (allows you to keep the optical drive in ODD bay 1). I'd recommend going with a 10 configuration (you can even use consumer based disks on the ICH to save on costs - enterprise grade aren't an absolute necessity, though won't hurt if you do decide to use them).

Keep the eSATA system for backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.