Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devon807

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2014
Virginia
Ok, second RX 560 came in today. Pretty decent result. Runs BruceX is ~19-22 seconds. Performs really well.
DUAL RX560 .jpeg
20170909_143156-squashed.jpg

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2014
I might be reading this wrong, but those geekbench scores are actually lower than an ipad pro 10.5?

Well, at least the single core seems to be.

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2014
In which one? The first or second post?
Both, but im just looking at the plain geekbench score.

Like this one: https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks

Dont get me wrong, not raining on your parade, since i have the exact Mac with a quad core 2.93 ghz cpu, two gt120 and a 5770, but i barely use it and out of curiosity, compared the scores you posted to what i saw online and ended up confused.

I mean, are those Fusion chips or whatever they are called really that good?

Reactions: devon807

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

Dont get me wrong, not raining on your parade, since i have the exact Mac with a quad core 2.93 ghz cpu, two gt120 and a 5770, but i barely use it and out of curiosity, compared the scores you posted to what i saw online and ended up confused.

AFAIK, the A10X single core performance is really that good. However, it's also very single thread optimised because iOS obviously cannot do any heavy multi tasking job.

devon807

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2014
Virginia

I believe so. Good observation. But at the end of the day. It is in a iPad, which runs iOS and not macOS

Reactions: neomorpheus

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2014
I believe so. Good observation. But at the end of the day. It is in a iPad, which runs iOS and not macOS
A shame really, since you, for example, can do so much with your mac with the performance of a tablet.

If only apple stopped gimping ios devices.

AfterglowMP

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
My RX 560 came in today! View attachment 716153

Runs BruceX in ~36 seconds compared to 70 with the 960.
View attachment 716154 View attachment 716155 View attachment 716156

I have another RX 560 on the way due to arrive Monday. Overall pretty impressed with the 560, excited to see how two perform. Also, I realized to take advantage of two GPU's you need to of the same GPU's not two different ones. :)

Hey Devon807

I have a mid 2010 (5,1) 6 core 3.33ghz that I use for editing (FCP7, Premiere and Resolve, sometimes FCPX).

I've upgraded the drives to SSDs, have 24gb and am keen to order something like GPU Nvidia 980Ti. I've been looking into replacing the single processor to end up with a dual 12 core 3.46 and throw in heaps more ram.

It's my work so I'm okay about investing the money but from your experience, is it worth it? I've read through the posts here and really can't make out if there's significant enough a boost. Or maybe I should just opt for the less expensive 3.46ghz processor?

Reactions: dabotsonline

devon807

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2014
Virginia
Hey Devon807

I have a mid 2010 (5,1) 6 core 3.33ghz that I use for editing (FCP7, Premiere and Resolve, sometimes FCPX).

I've upgraded the drives to SSDs, have 24gb and am keen to order something like GPU Nvidia 980Ti. I've been looking into replacing the single processor to end up with a dual 12 core 3.46 and throw in heaps more ram.

It's my work so I'm okay about investing the money but from your experience, is it worth it? I've read through the posts here and really can't make out if there's significant enough a boost. Or maybe I should just opt for the less expensive 3.46ghz processor?

Not sure about Resolve and Premiere but depending on what engine you use to export i.e. CUDA, OpenCL, or Metal etc. It may or may not make a difference. the 3.46 will give you an improvement, but not as drastic as the jump from 6 to 8 cores or from to 12 cores. Im not the biggest expert in Premiere, but the 980Ti will be a really good upgrade. I primarily edit on FCPX, so AMD is a must for me due to the OpenCL performance. My reccoemndtaion is to do the 3.46 GHz upgrade, see of performance is on par, and if not buy a 8-core 4,1 or 5,1.

AfterglowMP

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Not sure about Resolve and Premiere but depending on what engine you use to export i.e. CUDA, OpenCL, or Metal etc. It may or may not make a difference. the 3.46 will give you an improvement, but not as drastic as the jump from 6 to 8 cores or from to 12 cores. Im not the biggest expert in Premiere, but the 980Ti will be a really good upgrade. I primarily edit on FCPX, so AMD is a must for me due to the OpenCL performance. My reccoemndtaion is to do the 3.46 GHz upgrade, see of performance is on par, and if not buy a 8-core 4,1 or 5,1.

Thanks for the reply. I just bought an inexpensive dual 3.33ghz tray on ebay! Now I'm thinking of best way to upgrade it to 3.46. Any thoughts?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks for the reply. I just bought an inexpensive dual 3.33ghz tray on ebay! Now I'm thinking of best way to upgrade it to 3.46. Any thoughts?

My suggestion is don't do it. If your job really need that very very last bit of performance. You should not still with the cMP but something much newer. If that ~3% difference doesn't really matter. Then I think it's better to stick to your current config and save some money and trouble.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
If you do hour long, 100% CPU bound jobs, the 3.46 ghz upgrade will save you about 2 minutes. I'm with h9826790, don't bother with it. The difference between these two CPU's is very nearly pure clock speed, so not enough to really matter unless you're running multi-hour jobs. In which case you probably should be working on an overclocked kaby lake setup!

Blakehoo

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2016
Don't forget ....RAM

It is cheap at the moment!

Just checked: Fast 16GB RAM is still only US$60 a stick

Last edited:

AfterglowMP

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Thanks, have a Nvidia 980Ti on the way as well.

Speaking of RAM, I've been cruising along with 2 x 8gb and 2 x 4gb and was about to buy more for the new dual tray but I saw on OWC that the 16gb RAM won't run with other RAM. So chuck out the existing RAM and replace with 4 x 16gb? From OWC? Or maybe just add 4 x 8gb sticks for a total of 56gb?

What other RAM suppliers should I try?

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
datamemorysystems.com has been a good vendor for a number of posters here including myself. They can probably suggest the best answer for your memory setup.

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008

AfterglowMP

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Thanks, but is it right that 16gb sticks cannot be mixed with other level RAM sticks, ie 2, 4, 8gb sticks??

fendersrule

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
I never heard of that.

To maximize performance, only fill the front 3 slots. That will enable the triple channel. Tiny difference, if any, but I’ll take anything I can get with nearly 8 year old hardware. I have a brand new Samsung 8GB stick doing nothing because of that.

My workflow is simple. When I was exporting a video, my system used 12 out of the available 24GB. 24GB is copious for probably 99% of people.

AfterglowMP

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
The 16gb rule is on the OWC RAM catalogue page - see asterix note below table.Mac Pro Memory
Has anyone mixed 16gb sticks with other RAM and not noticed anything??

Speaking of not knowing... I'll have to backtrack to discussions about the triple channel.

I've hummed along with 24gb simply because most of the editing has been in FCP7 but now using Resolve, Premiere, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.