Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pixelatedscraps

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
Hong Kong
For what it’s worth, the two Mac Pros in my studio (4,1-5,1 2009 3.33Ghz and 5,1 2010 2x 3.33Ghz) are both running Gigabyte RX 560 Gaming OC 2Gb cards with zero issues. They’re performing great for us and they were cheap as chips when purchased last year.

Reactions: handheldgames

stiwi

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2010
Dubai
No Mac edition, unfortunately. At least not as of now. But Apple has actually recommended the Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB card (along with the MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 4GB card) as two cards that explicitly work with Mojave, the new version of macOS. Many people here, including myself are using that card just fine in the 2010/2012 Mac Pro.

The only issue is that because it's not a "Mac Edition" it does not work in the EFI boot environment, so you will not see boot screens (nor can you use FileVault2 or flash firmware). For that reason it's not a perfect solution, but considering that it is an Apple-recommended card I think it is one of the safest cards to buy going forward, assuming you can put up with the lack of bootscreens.

Wouldn't this card be more suitable: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition , based on the compatibility list published by Apple? The only issue is that it is 2x more expensive than Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Wouldn't this card be more suitable: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition , based on the compatibility list published by Apple? The only issue is that it is 2x more expensive than Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB.

Once you're on 138.0.0.0.0 firmware and Mojave, it does not really matter anymore. They have disabled FileVault support for basically all 2012 and previous Mac Pro's, regardless of if you're on an EFI GPU or not. The benefits of EFI are not the same as they have been on previous OS versions with this new firmware and OS release. (This is a good and bad thing.)

blackmatchstick

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
Delhi,India
Hello All,

First things first, i would like to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge for the upgrade of the graphics card on Mac Pro.

I would like to share my thoughts and information in regards to the upgrade of the mac
gpu. As many of us had issues and questions regarding the upgrade and running.

I know its difficult to find the right answers and that too instantly, even after spending
many hours on the internet surfing diffrent forums and websites youtube etc. we still dont get what we are looking for or the information is too much to grasp or understand.

After spending many hours and surfing forums and googling i have gathered some information
i would like to share.

I have complied all the information in a pdf and also done a video so that it may help others in future.

I have tried to get as simple as i can get, hope this helps.

The Complete Guide To Mac Pro GPU Upgrade and More.

This guide includes:
1. The graphic card
2. Things needed for upgrade
3. System Requirements
4. Booting into os
5. Bootcamp
6. Application performance.
7. Links.
8. References & Thanks.
9. Explanitory Video.
10. Additional Info.

Thank you all once again.

Links Updated On: 25th May 2020

Link to Article (Mac Pro GPU Upgrade)

Link to Video (Mac Pro GPU Upgrade)
http://bit.ly/FrmToYTB

Link to Article (Mac Pro 5.1 High Sierra to Mojave)

It been long since i posted, Here is an update, after upgrading the GPU to RX580 on my Mac Pro 5,1. I haven't faced even a single issue either with the machine.

It was until few days back, i had to run a specific piece of software which was not supported on High Sierra and i had to update to Mojave for it to run, which again caused a concern as to how to go about it? After long hours of research on google. I managed to update my Mac Pro 5.1 to the latest version of Mojave that was 10.14.6.

I have again complied it all together for easy understanding.
Please refer to original post:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.