Mac Pro 5.1 GTX680 Lag?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DSevenPL, Feb 22, 2015.

1. DSevenPL macrumors newbie

Hey.
    At First my English isn't so Perfect, but i will try explain.

I have a Mac Pro 5.1 ,2x 6Core 3,46Ghz, 32GB Ram, 2SSD's with Apricorn Velocity Solo on PCI 2 and 3 Slot and GTX680 Mac Edition and 4K UHD ASUS PB287Q plugged on DP1.2

I'm using It for Music Production ,Graphics Design, and for Video Editing too.

I have problems on HiDPI Resolutions, in Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 9 and another Apps .
    UI lag , freezes is very slow on scrolling, zooming etc.
    On 1080P is acceptable but on higher resolutions is very Bad..
    I'm tried a non-Efi GTX980 but no difference..

I Have Yosemite 10.10.2 and all Nvidia Drivers like Web and Cuda are up to date.

2. teeck2000 macrumors regular

I had the same issues. I have the Asus 31.5" 4k monitor and ran it on the GTX 680 and GTX 980.

HiDPI is just laggy in Yosemite 10.10.0-10.10.2. I think it's just the way OS X is at the moment. I am running at 3840x2160 and there is no lag, but if I use any scaled resolutions it lags. 1920x1080 hiDPI runs the best because it's doing a straight 2x scaling, still not perfect, but anything else is unusable for me.

Some programs lag more than others too, I think certain applications use the GPU for the UI and others don't. For example Pro Tools 11 meters don't run realtime in any scaled resolution, and a image sequence viewer I use won't play realtime in any scaled resolution.

I have noticed this on my MacBook Pro retina too. Apple's HiDPI scaling is great but the performance is not acceptable on any model mac I have tried.

3. DSevenPL thread starter macrumors newbie

That Sound not good, paid 4000€ for Mac and another 630€ for a GPU and performance is bad.... On Mavericks 10.9.5 had a HiDPI issuers too.

So the best way, sell my 4K and buy a 1440p screen.

4. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

Conpared to 10.9 The 680gtx definitely lags in 10.10 even at 2560x1600.

5. omvs macrumors 6502

Do the accessibility preferences "Increase Contrast" or "Reduce Transparency" help?

I believe these were new effects in 10.10, though might be wrong. Could be that plus the video card moving around 10-20M pixels for HiDPI modes is just more than the hardware can handle.

I've been running native 2160P and its fine, but the rendered resolutions is less than any HiDPI mode over 1080P. Though I disabled transparency after a while just because I preferred the look.

6. teeck2000 macrumors regular

Try the apple standard drivers and the nvidia web drivers as well too, might see a difference.

7. pertusis1 macrumors 6502

I don't know if you can find a used 2440 * 1600 Apple cinema display 30", but I have found mine to be awesome for similar usage, and no lag issues at all. I know it's not HiDPI, but it's still a very nice screen to work on, and has tons of real-estate.

8. dingobiatch macrumors member

Wait. Did you get this lag in Mavericks? I have crazy issues in Logic.

9. jharsem, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

jharsem macrumors newbie

Obligatory "me too" post

Mac Pro 5,1 (upgraded 4,1 -> 12 core 2.66) /w AMD 7950, 16GB + SSD on Samsung U28D590 (60Hz)

Yosemite 10.10.3 UI lags like a pain in HiDPI mode when mousing over apps. Running unscaled at 3840x2160 is a headache inducing option on a 28" screen. Funnily enough it seems to improve and get worse from time to time without any obvious rhyme or reason for me.

SwitchRezX is handy to switch so I am using that but it's a bit of a hack to be honest =\

Strangely it seems to be a bit better with a wired mouse ?

--- Edit -----

Not just a little better with a wired mouse but basically no lag at all ? It could be that the usb stuff happens in a higher priority thread but I don't know. For the record I did check the battery capacity and I do have two mice here but the USB one seems to have absolutely no lag so far =\

10. Synchro3 macrumors 65816

Synchro3

That's why I never encountered a lag in Yosemite. :eek: I always use wired keyboard and mouse. Thanks for info.

11. cpnotebook80, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

will your 12 core power a 4k monitor or is based on the performance of the graphics card. I just picked a 12 core 5,1 up and has a 7970 3gb ram radeon in it. I have yet to transfer my stuff from my 3,1 over. Just wondering when I get that 4k monitor how smooth it would be.

12. benjaprud macrumors member

I've never had a problem with UI lag with the GTX680 and wireless mouse (Logitech, not Apple) with both FHD@60Hz and UHD@30Hz HiDPi, therefore I can't help you with your problem but maybe reassure you that smooth UI is possible.

13. MacVidCards Suspended

Interesting seeing stuff here about wireless mouse causing UI lag.

In my thread describing how to get 4K 60Hz on NVIDIA cards in current OS, just last week I mentioned this exact issue.

I have a Logictech wireless mouse. Once I put the display into MST, the mouse starts acting up.

Plug in a land line mouse and all good again.

14. jharsem macrumors newbie

It's quite odd really - the mouse would essentially lag in heavy UI parts of the screen (i.e. mousing over buttons in chrome, large graphics) in HiDPi mode. It looked like I was dragging the cursor through molasses.

There should be no real reason for that, but my garden variety, tethered USB mouse has absolutely no issues and makes my Mac Pro seem like the performance beast it should be.

I was using the Apple Magic mouse, now some HP P.O.S. (not-retail =)) mouse.