Mac Pro 8 Core?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by X-JRO, Sep 30, 2009.

1. X-JRO macrumors member

In this picture are the specs I think I want with the price Apple wants in AUD

I'm a pretty big no0b when it comes to this stuff and I'm thinking I probably don't need all the power.

I'll be doing some editing using Final Cut Pro etc. Dreamweaver Photo shop etc.

Nothing to much more than that. Is all this power necessary?

[​IMG]

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Save on the nVidias 120 GTs and get a 200 GTX card... faster and better.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Why buy two SuperDrives from Apple? They're just OEM products with Apple stickers on them besides I don't think 'pro' users uses any of the iAppz to burn stuff, right? Also.. Apple approved HD's are expensive, a third-party PC counter part would be exactly the same and cheaper.

just my 2¢ :)

4. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

+1 on getting rid of one of the superdrives - You can get one third party for probably half price. I pulled the drives out of my old PC to use in my Mac Pro (mainly because they're both region-free DVD burners...heh.)

You don't always NEED all the power that a Mac Pro has...sometimes you just WANT it :) I bought mine because I knew it would last me several years without any trouble. I mainly just do Photoshop/Lightroom as my "power apps".

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

Get a better graphics card, and dump the second optical drive.

Then pick up additional memory 3rd party, and any other odds and ends you want, such as drives.

6. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

I say that he opts with faster clocked CPUs (2.66 GHz) because the performance in single core dependent apps will lag and make having the 8 cores useless in everything but Final Cut and Logic.

7. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Also, buy Dell's 30" ones instead of Apple's. I know you like the shiny metal, but you are paying a lot more for the same panel with an Apple logo on it.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

The cost difference may be too much to justify though. Not sure, as there's no indication of budget.

Also, Turbo Boost could kick in and help out a single threaded app, assuming the overall load is light. :) But a faster clock isn't a bad thing, if it's justifiable. :D

I skipped the monitor, but I'm like you. I'd go for a 3rd party as well. NEC, or Eizo Nanao, budget permitting.

9. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

If he bought the two 30" panels and the superdrive separately, he would have enough to go to the 2.66 GHz Octad. "Turbo Mode" does account for something, but I suspect that turning it off and setting the CPU to run at the higher clock with future software would be a better solution ;)

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

For some strange reason, I thought it was the 2.66GHz model listed. Oops. :eek:

For the 2.26GHz model in the OP however, I agree a faster model would be the way to go. Even if the second 30" had to be sacrificed to do it. :eek: :D Only a single graphics card would be needed in this case, and possibly save some funds there as well. Maybe a pair of 24" would give some middle ground (allows for 2 monitors, but saves $$$).

NEC's aren't exactly cheap, but offer a lot of bang-for-the-money. Eizo's are just expensive. Excellent products (particulary the ColorEdge line = IPS), but not the best cost wise at that level of monitor.

11. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Agreed, I think it would be best to go for the GTX 285 & 2.66 GHz processors, but if you wait there will prob be updates to the line in January.

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

The HD4870 is also an option, but the 285 seems to hold more promise for OpenCL. But that's a ways off, as software developers have to update their offerings to use it. For now, ATI does a better job at Core Image.

Unfortunately, it won't, as the Gulftown has been given a Q2 2010 release by Intel. It will get narrower as time goes on, but that means June 2010 at the earliest, assuming there's no problems.

13. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

I was thinking more along the lines of making 8 cores standard again, the prices they are trying to pass off on these single chip systems are pretty ridiculous.

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

Given thier current pricing, the Quads will still be around. At least until the next model. ;) I've no idea if they'll offer a single processor MP built on the Gulftowns, as the pricing is currently an unknown (but the 2.4GHz <wiki> part has been listed at $1499USD in quantity pricing <source>). Really expensive for that low a frequency, assuming wiki is correct here, but a DP system with them will definitely be out of reach for many loyal MP users IMO. Best case, the pricing is for a higher clocked part.

But either way, an SP Gulftown should have a market. ;) :D :p

15. dsiew81 macrumors member

There is no way this thread is genuine. Don't feed the trolls.

16. yanquis macrumors regular

i'm not sure what the hell kind of currency that is, but i was looking @ amazon today & you can get a base model octal mac pro/6 GB/640 GB HD + 2 w5590 + gtx285 for about ~7K USD. sell off the included 2.26 ghz processors & that would go down to under $6500 USD. not a bad price considering it would be the fastest mac in the world.

oh nm, i see u have 2 30 inch screens. if you've got that kind of coin id get a better pro, but that's me.

17. dsiew81 macrumors member

AUD = Australian Dollars.

18. X-JRO thread starter macrumors member

How's this?

[​IMG]

Better?

What third party stuff should I be looking for exactly and what're the prices?

Thanks so much for the replies so far guys.

Should have; "inb4 troll" 'd

19. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

What display/monitor setup are you wanting to run?

Also you can get a 1TB drive for AU$165, so you'd save $35 and have an extra 640GB (AU$135) drive.

If you still want two 30" displays you will want two GT 120s unless you are getting the GTX 285 3rd party.

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you're planning on a 3rd party source for a better graphics card (HD4870 or GTX285), then yes. :)

Not sure to tell you about locations & pricing in Australia. I'm under the impression that it's almost always more expensive there than the US, and that's before the GST and Technology tax. :(