Mac Pro audio output into home stereo distortion problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Barrett63, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Barrett63 macrumors newbie

Hello. Is there another way to get audio out of a Mac Pro to RCA inputs on a stereo than the headphone-out on the back? I have my Mac set up like this in my office. I feel because it is a headphone jack, not a "line" output, it is creating distortion - more noticeable on some music than others. Changing the iTunes volume, eq settings and the computers volume doesn't seem to help much. I know when I play music from my iPod with it connected to a dock, using the doc's stereo output, not the headphone out, the sound is crisp and clear. I would like to be able to do the same with my computer. Is there a solution for this? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. philipma1957, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

3. Barrett63 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's interesting, thanks. So when hooked up via USB, does that device show up in the output field of the sound preferences window?

4. philipma1957, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

yes. let me sign on to my mac pro I will post a screen shot. here is a photo and a screen shot. I use a 2.1 sound system. in the photo is the dac.

the black knob on left is the satellite volume control.

the dac has a master volume control both left right and sub.

the sub crossover is on the right it has a sub volume control

Attached Files:

5. Barrett63 thread starter macrumors newbie

So you then set your computer volume up all the way? Does the DAC have a volume control as well? Or only for headphone volume?
    Thanks for taking the time, this is super helpful, I'll be ordering one ASAP. I knew there had to be a better way to get audio to my stereo.
    -b

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

7. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I use optical audio out to my receiver and then to get Zone 2 and 3 to work I use an Airport Express to get an analog signal.

This solution sounds much simpler.

8. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You should really shop around for this. There are WAY better converters (DAC) out there for the money. Thousands of them. I use a ULN-2 from Metric Halo. Try to avoid USB if you can. It is a fairly noisy connection generally speaking.

9. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Yes but you are using the Mac's built in sound card. Which is terrible.

10. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Can't argue with that.

I have looked at adding a PCI audio card but it has been hard to get a solid answer on what is supported on my Mac Pro.

11. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You may want to get something outside the case. Something Firewire. The DAC will most likely outlive your computer and you can use it with any Mac you get (Macbook, iMac, etc) The Apogee Duet is supposed to have amazing DA and it is around 500.00. On the lower end a Presonus Firebox is pretty good for DA but not very good for AD and around 300.00 or less. Benchmark DAC's are also well received if you never need to record anything (AD) but having the ability to digitize vinyl is always a plus.

12. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

That's mostly because there isn't a market for add-in sound cards on the Mac outside of professional products that would be grossly overkill for people who don't do recording.

For that reason, a DAC is really the best way to go on a Mac.