Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

144801-mac_pro_audio_update_results.png

Effect of Mac Pro Audio Update 1.0 on Aperture and Compressor tasks
(Times in minutes:seconds)

With last week's release of a software update addressing heat and performance issues experienced by users of Apple's Nehalem Mac Pro models while playing audio, many users have reported significant improvements brought by the software fix.

Macworld today provides some numbers to back up those claims, showing a distinct improvement in performance and heat after applying the update.
Before the update, running an Aperture 2 import test took 19 percent longer to complete when iTunes was playing in the background than when Aperture ran alone. After installing the update, we saw just a one-second time difference.

Similarly, a Compressor encode test took 16 percent longer when we ran that program at the same we were running iTunes before we installed the firmware update. Afterward, the gap also narrowed to one second after the update.
In addition to the near-elimination of performance hits caused by playing audio in iTunes, the update also appears to have addressed heat and power issues, with average CPU temperatures while playing audio dropping from 120 degrees to 90 degrees and CPU and power supply draws also seeing significant decreases.

The report notes that the software update released by Apple last week is limited to machines running Mac OS X Snow Leopard, while users of Apple's Mac OS X Leopard had also reported similar issues when playing audio. It is unclear whether Apple is planning a similar software patch for Leopard-based systems.

Article Link: Mac Pro Audio Update Seen as Fixing Performance Issues

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
I know it wasnt the point but... does this means an i7 iMac leaves said MacPro in the dust in audio processing?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
No but it is amazingly close to the quad core Mac Pro in terms of performance. I'm betting that the new Mac Pro (when it is released) will blow everything away again.

I hope so or it doesn't have much of a future. You would think Grand Central would be more popular since it can take advantage of the power. It is as popular feature as Sherlock or the Pixlet video codec that came out with Panther.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I know it wasnt the point but... does this means an i7 iMac leaves said MacPro in the dust in audio processing?

Very brief and crude benchmark, but it does indeed seem the iMac (i5, not even an i7) is far faster in Compressor encoding. That would be due to the processor.

The iMac being slower in Aperture import might be due to the Mac Pro having faster HD, or even importing across more than 1 HD.

Have to say, I'm shocked too. Plus the iMac has a free 27 inch screen thrown in. Plus with FW800 you can add a fair bit of HD space, or even a SSD. Plus with up to 16GB of RAM, you're unlikely to need more. Not bad.

Cromulent

macrumors 603
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I hope so or it doesn't have much of a future. You would think Grand Central would be more popular since it can take advantage of the power. It is as popular feature as Sherlock or the Pixlet video codec that came out with Panther.

Well the Core i7 iMac has the same number of cores as the Mac Pro quad core so Grand Central will help them both equally.

The other thing holding back Grand Central adoption is the fact that it is really a Mac only technology. Although Apple have released it as an open source project the adoption of it is still poor on other platforms.

kaks

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
I got the 2.26ghz version and i realise that ghz wise might not be screaming, but i find the numbers a disgrace.
When we first got the nehalems we had to wait for the updates, now the updates to logic etc are out and so?

I really cant believe that an i5/i7 imac would be faster than an 8-core i7 mac pro which seems to be the case in some other tests.
There's definetely something wrong here.
Multiple cpus?
We shouldnt need a 2010 mac pro so its faster than an imac..optimize for the current one.

Just like iphoto is actually faster on my unibody macbook than my mac pro. A lot lot lot faster. Figure that out...couldnt believe it. So that just makes me think that apple doesnt even bother optimizing anymore for the macpro desktop processors, just bothers with their laptop cpu based systems.
(and yes i know its iphoto, but just as an example)

cutthroughthebs

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
There will always be a future for the Mac Pro because the expansion on an iMac is limited for true PRO work. I can put 12 hard drives and are SATA, plus, I can use PCIe cards for DSP... Yeah, but the iMac has Firewire and there's DSP solutions too... I have used them and they suck because you only have so much bandwidth to that buss and it causes all kind of havok with audio artifacts. PCIe is the way to go for any DSP plugs and native plugs you'll run out of power with and having a dedicated DSP for the code to run on you can make the plug very high quality that you can't with a native plug because they have to be somwhat resourceful or your DAW will come to a screeching halt. Maybe in 5 years but now, DSP cards are still needed and who knows what powered solution will be next... an SSL on a card!
Mac Pros will always have a future and you need to look around you a bit more before stating such obvious BS!

wbeasley

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
Hahaha

It's good to see some Apple software that has performance issues... Adobe Flash must be feeling not so lonely now...

(well it did for a little while until the patch improved things)

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
I predict that within a few years Apple will no longer sell computers fit for professional use.
They have all but told Adobe to pound sand...rumors of big lay-offs in their Pro software division...etc..etc.
Bye bye Apple...hello Windows......oh please, please tell me I'm wrong :(

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
I predict that within a few years Apple will no longer sell computers fit for professional use.
They have all but told Adobe to pound sand...rumors of big lay-offs in their Pro software division...etc..etc.
Bye bye Apple...hello Windows......oh please, please tell me I'm wrong :(

I read somewhere that Apple fired 17 people of the Final Cut team recently. I don't remember where I read that, though. Amongst them were some key people too, according to the report.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.