Mac Pro completely dead after card exchange- need ideas

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gugucom, Jun 21, 2009.

1. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I changed the slot bracket on my HD3870 card from one slot to two slot today. The graphics card had previously received a two slot fan cooler and at that opportunity I did not change the slot bracket because there was none in the kit. I managed to grab a two slot bracket with a grill and exchanged the slot bracket. The Mac was shut down in a regular way.

After re fitting the grafic card I tried to start the mac pro and there was absolutely no reaction when I pushed the power button. No light, no sound nothing at all. Fans are not starting and there is practically no reaction at all.

I have tried all sorts of trouble shooting and used a different socket for the mains cable. I have exchanged the grafics card and tried to start without grafics card. Nothing! I have turned the machine over to see if a metallic object may have fallen inside and short circuited my Mac. Nothing loose is in there.

I have a master/slave unit which switches all the peripherals with the Mac Pro. I can see from the change of LEDs that my Mac Pro takes power when I fit the power cable. So it should not be the mains cable, I would think. I have also eliminated the master/slave unit but nothing brings the Mac Pro back from death.

Is there any advise what I can do beyond taking it to the AASP? What kind of defect causes such weird boot failures?

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Can you give more detail on what you tried with the computer?
    I.e. PRAM reset, etc?

It might help people to give you some information, and keep from repeating the same things. ;)

3. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

I did not reset PRAM because it requires at least a rudimentary boot of the hardware which I don't get. I get absolutely nothing when I push the power button. I have given all the details of trouble shooting that I have done. It is a MacPro1,1 with OS X 10.5.7 with all the latest updates.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

What happens if you take out the card? Does the Mac powerup? If so, then the cause of the system failure is due to the graphics card... check the card for possible shorts, maybe the backplate is causing a short somewhere??

5. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

I have tried to start without grafics card. No difference.

6. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Is there a motherboard reset button on the new Mac Pros? Also, have you tried unplugging it, taking out the battery on the motherboard, and holding power down for ~10s to reset the power management unit?

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Try something really simple. Pull the power cord. Yank out the battery on the logic board, wait 30 seconds, then replace it and the power cord. Then see if it will boot. (Hard PRAM reset).

Also, do you have another graphics card to test with?

8. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

I have pushed the hardware reset button.
    I have tried another graphics card.
    I have taken out the battery and waited 30 s. After battery refit and without a graphics card it is still dead as a door nail.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

This might seem odd, but are you sure the power outlet (wall) has power?

10. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

yes, I'm sure because other electric appliances work. I have also used a different outlet and a different power cord. I'm really out of options and am considering to remove the ventilation unit to check if the power button cable is damaged.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

I had to ask. :p Your idea is definitely worth a look. :)

BTW, have you checked if the PCIe power cable come loose off the logic board?

12. slicecom macrumors 68020

Did you properly ground yourself before you touched the internals?

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Wow!! That's really odd.
    I wonder, could it be that the PSU is to blame?

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's a possibility, but might be worth checking anything that can be thought of first. ;) Easier than having to take it in I think. :D

BTW, in an aluminum case, leave the power cord in, and the entire case is grounded. Keep one hand in contact with the case at all times, and before you touch any of the components, you won't have an electrostatic discharge. :)

Works well, particularly for people who don't have ESD wrist straps or workpads. ;)

15. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Does it make any sound like a lick when you plug and unplug it from the wall?

16. Cuda macrumors member

Try to Hold.............. the Power Button, for say 30 sec.

If that fails, time to break out the Multi-Meter and check the Power Supply( I've blown 2 this week, damn heat:eek:)

I'd check the Power Button ribbon cable, on both ends, I'll see if I can Dig up the Pin out for the Logic Board Connector, an tell you what two pins to short, to make the PSU start.

Also, if the Power cable tests good, and is putting AC Power to the Circuit Board of the PSU, check the Fuse, then check the two leads that come from the Pins that short to trip the Power on, if all that tests Good, replace the PSU.

Unless, you have AppleCare, then just dig down and Call in, I think you need a repair.

17. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Open up the PSU and check that any existing fuses are good. Check that all the cabling is seated properly too.

If you get no access light at button press it mean's the PSU is not supplying power to the motherboard. So the problem is before the MB in the "electrical pipeline" so to speak. :)

18. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

I had the fan unit out which is a mother of a job because it requires removal of the RAM case and the CPU housing. I had a SATA cable to the 2nd ODD fitted to the ODD SATA sockets on the logic board. The cable is long and I thought it might have pressed on the power button connector and damaged the cable to the power button. I checked this, but it is fine. Refitted everything and still no joy.

I had no funny noises on disconnect and I always discharge before I do anything internal.

I have two cables for PCIe on the logic board because I do experiment with 4870 which needs two power plugs. The cables look ok.

One more thing. I fitted a y-cable to the 2nd ODD drive power connector which was originally used to power the graphics card befor I got the right cable. I took this this old y-cable out in case it shorted something. I did not change something.

19. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

Do you know how to get to the PSU?

20. Cuda macrumors member

Did I not just say that?

21. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Here's what the service manual for the 1,1 has to say on the topic:

For Apple's own disassembly steps (in 9 pages) see the PM I'm about to send you.

22. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

Thanks Tess for the PDF. I will go into the diagnostics checks now.

Trickle power is ok.
    When I push diagnostic and the power button I do not get LED7. I will investigate from there.

23. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

You're welcome. I'd post it publicly but I think it's an "Apple Internal Document" so in keeping with at least some aspect of "internal". :)

24. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

You are right about that. Apple will take the URL down if you publish it. I need to find out why I do not have LED7.

25. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, check fuse and cables. :D