Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
I'm exceedingly happy, they seem to be listening to their high end users on all this (mainly bringing a re-designed Pro next year and a high end iMac later this year). But this is a good thing till then. Crazy how expensive it still is for such old hardware...but it's alot better than before.

I've put aside my plans to migrate over to Microsoft's data mining arms (due to lack of suitable Mac hardware and no expectation of any in the future) - this all makes me very happy.

Apple should just aknowledge that they have almost lost the pro market! Many are - have already - jumping ship ans moving to PC mean&lean machines....

If you read the source articles, you'll see that they actually did this, on the record during the interviews for these announcements. I was very close to selling my old 12 Pro and going PC. Makes me very happy to be off that track now.

http://daringfireball.net/

Last edited:

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
Why? Because it doesn't have the Apple logo on it?

In a roundabout way. No pro shop is going to invest in unsupported, unlicensed hardware. Some guy working out of his mom’s basement making web pages? Sure. Someone like me who likes to tinker when I have time? Sure. Some IT guy that works on PCs all day and wants to see what macOS is all about? Yep. But a pro shop rendering graphics, producing high end video content, music, etc? Not a chance, if they’re legit. That’s what I’m talking about.

Sep 8, 2016
No.

Because no true "Pro" has time to mess-around finding drivers and haxies to make macOS work on non-Apple hardware.
[doublepost=1491331489][/doublepost]
The "update" and "price drops" are a joke.

It's 3500 euro for the base model, and it's the only model available, and you get no bluetooth 5, no usb-c, no thunderbolt, 3, yes, you can power 5k monitors but there's a tiny catch for that. the ram is still ddr3, we're on ddr5, ..

I guess this "magical big re-thinking" just means "2016 hardware" i doubt all these 'todays standards' will be in the future mac pro.
This is a stopgap until the next system comes out in 2018, not a design refresh.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Execs interviews on subject, mea culpas of having missed where the market was heading combined with performance upgrades and price cuts means only one thing: Sales must have cratered and Apple is trying to buy time and stem defections until a replacement is ready.

Reactions: JackANSI

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
This is so great! But it's especially great knowing that Apple will release their modular/customizable Mac Pro in 2018! Thanks for being transparent, honest and forthcoming with us, Apple! :)
They never said 2018, they said after 2017. That could mean 2020, who knows?

Reactions: gregoryalee

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Thanks a lot, MacRumors, for your Mac news coverage today. I'd suggest all the people that dislike this news to calm down. Yes, Apple could have a brand new modular Mac Pro today if they had planned a wise strategy at the right time, but, from the 1-year timeframe they seem to be talking about, they likely started to work in the next Mac Pro very recently (you shouldn't need more than half a year to design a modular Mac Pro, so this means they just began designing it).

Also, calm down about prices: A Mac Pro will always start at $3000. You're not going to get a Mac Pro for $1800, because it wouldn't be a Mac Pro. It would be an iMac or a Mini, but not a Pro. I paid over $3000 for my new Hackintosh last Summer (I wanted to buy a $4000 Mac Pro, but there wasn't one with updated components at that time, so Apple lost my money, and I -temporarily- switched to a Hackintosh, although I hope to buy a new Mac Pro some time in the future, when my Hack gets old and surpassed by newer Mac Pros).

This is a very nice day for all Mac fans, because we thought the Mac was dead. So please, enjoy this day, thank MacRumors for the great coverage they did, and wait for new Mac models, and buy them when they are released.

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

No – because you get great aftersales support, reliable combinations of hardware, and an Apple logo. :D

Plus I hate to say it, but NVIDIA GPUs really don't sing on Apple's Pro Apps. For the last two years or so since you joined this website, you've constantly scoffed about these Macs being incredibly underpowered and not for 'Pros', yet ironically you've picked one of the worst builds if you're looking to use Apple-exclusive Pro apps; one of the reasons why a lot of Pros stick with macOS.

Basically I think a lot of what you've said over a long period of time is based on paper specs and not on actual real-world usage. It may pain you to admit it but Apple still make some really nice products. There's much more to a computer you're looking to reliably use on a daily basis than a Geekbench score.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
The machines continue to use Ivy Bridge E Xeon processors
Does anyone know if there has been a suitable workstation processor upgrade to the Ivy Bridge E Xeon Processor? Or is this the current standard across the board?

Yeah it's just like rape except for the whole consent thing, which is what defines rape
IDK, college campuses are teaching their students that consent given, could rescinded later retro-actively. I guess the equivalence of this would be buyers remorse. Does Apple have a restocking fee for returned Macs?

Reactions: Aldaris

Daniel Reed

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
San Francisco
Does anybody know if the SSDs in the Mac Pro pricing refresh are quicker like the ones in the 2016 MBP? I imagine not as there's no 2TB option but I was just hoping for some confirmation either way.

Yes, they are. the original 1TB nMP SSD got 900~1,000 MBytes/s
nMP purchased new from Apple w/ the 1TV BTO option now get 1,400~1,500 MBytes/s

Reactions: keysofanxiety

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yes, they are. the original 1TB nMP SSD got 900~1,000 MBytes/s
nMP purchased new from Apple w/ the 1TV BTO option now get 1,400~1,500 MBytes/s

Ah, still seems slower than the 2016 MBP ones then; they clock at max 2,100MB/s~3,500MB/s (basically same Flash chips in the Samsung 960 NVMe PRO). Thank you for replying though, it answered my question. :)

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Apple is looking for a REASON to kill the mac.

They have made it obvious that they do not want the mac in their lineups.

By not upgrading it; sales go down; it gives them reason to put the nail in the coffin.

Just get it over already Apple. Everyone is tired of you dragging us along.

Put a bullet in the mac line up already; the current lineup is a disgrace. No upgrades, glued parts, insane prices, you can't even plug your flagship product into a new 3k macbook without a freaking adapter.

This has all been done intentionally - to slowly kill off your Mac line up because you cannot control the content on Mac. You have tried with your crappy Gatekeeper software (terrible) and it failed. Now, you are trying to kill off the Mac entirely because you can't control the content via the App Store- where you already make most of your $.

Long live the classic macbook pro.

Did you read the article or just look at the pictures?

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
They never said 2018, they said after 2017. That could mean 2020, who knows?

From the Techcrunch article: "a new Mac Pro from scratch means that the new machine will not be arriving this year, and is instead slated to appear some time next year."

Plus, I really doubt Apple would pre-announce a product if it were more than a year away.

Reactions: WatchFromAfar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.