Mac Pro CPU + Video Card Upgrades....

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by imanz90, Oct 25, 2010.

1. imanz90 macrumors newbie

So just a few questions before I go out and spend the money. I looked online but it seems like I got a few mixed answers. I currently have the newest Quad Core 2.8Ghz Mac Pro, Will I be able to upgrade it to dual CPU? If so what are my options, and if not what are my single CPU options?
    1. Can I just buy an identical CPU and throw it in there? Will i need a heatsink replacement?
    2. If I have to get different CPUs which ones do you recommend?
    3. If there is only 1 slot for a CPU in my machine which 6 Core CPU could I get?

Also.. as a side question, I remember when I had a Powermac G5 I bought a windows video card and flashed it to work, are there any options for such a thing with the newer/newest line of cards and if so does anyone have a link?

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. imanz90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried a i7-980x? Would that be possible?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It will work but you have to replace all your RAM with non-ECC RAM, thus the total price would end up being around the same, or even more.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

6. imanz90 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the machine with 3GB of ECC ram and had 8GB of DDR3 laying around from a different build so that has been replaced. Speaking simply performance wise what will be the difference between the xeon and i7-extreme? Also my current processor is the 3460, correct?

7. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Is there a street price trend that will help predict the future price of this bad-boy?

cheers
    JohnG

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

ECC RAM decreases the performance by ~2% so you would gain a bit of performance when using non-ECC RAM. i7 and Xeon should be equal.

Your current CPU is W3530.

Well, W3690 should come Q1 2011 and it will likely take the 999$ price point. Maybe W3680 will drop by a hundred or two. However, there is already W3670 for 885$ so may be that W3680 will be discontinued. It's likely that there will be more W36xx in early 2011. If they follow the pricing of W35xx, W3620 (2.66GHz) could be as low as 300$. Of course this is assuming that there will be a such CPU, could be that there will only be e.g. W3640 for ~550$.

eBay prices are different of course. Fairly hard to say anything, too many question marks.

9. imanz90 thread starter macrumors newbie

If you where to pick one in this situation what would you say, $900 for the Xeon or $940 for an engineering sample of the i7-extreme?

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would get the Xeon. ES version of i7 isn't very useful unless you plan to do heavy OCing but Mac Pro isn't very suitable for that since there is no OC utility for OS X

11. imanz90 thread starter macrumors newbie

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

13. imanz90 thread starter macrumors newbie