Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trixman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
When I use the cursor keys or backspace/delete key to move the cursor in a text type field it takes for ever to move left or right and is jerky.

This happens when I have the cursor in a Word doc, Excel cell, Safari and Chrome browser text boxes, Finder when editing a file name etc. It is really slow. The only way I can get the cursor to move faster is to keep tapping the keyboard delete key or a left or right cursor key.

I have looked through Yosemite System Preferences but cannot find anyway to change the cursor movement speed, maybe I am missing the obvious. Even the Keyboard prefs do not seem to make a difference. Can anyone offer a solution?

Thanks.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2009
How much memory?, what do you have running?

Usually speed issues are a lack of memory. Though word and excel are incredibly slow to start up on the mac, even when the window is ready, often it's still doing stuff in the background related to word or excel. I normally leave it to fully load before doing anything.

trixman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2016
Florida
I have 16 GB memory and I usually only have one app running at a time, sometimes I have Outlook or a few others running. But It does not matter whether I have 1 or 10 open, the effects are the same.

This issue started a few months ago and was OK until then. I does not matter how many apps I have open, it happens for instance with only Chrome or Safari open. It has little if anything to do directly with Office apps. An example would be with Chrome open, when I go to a page like a forum, and click in the login ID box, the cursor appears in the box then the beach ball shows and starts its annoying spin and continues for about one minute, then it and the cursor in the login box disappear and I cannot click in the box for about another 30 seconds or so. If I open another tab with a different website, the same happens there.

The issue with Word or text fields (boxes) in a browser is that if I want to backspace using the delete key to delete a number of characters, if I hold the delete key down, the cursor erases one character then does not appear to erase any more, then when I release it, a bunch of characters get erased. The number of characters that get erased depends on how long I hold the delete key down. It is annoying because I do not know how many have been erased until I release the key. To watch the characters get erased one at a time, I have to keep tapping the delete key, but even then the response is jerky.

If I click in a text box or document and want to move the cursor left or right, I have to keep on tapping the cursor key, but again the movement is very jerky. If I hold the key down, the cursor moves one character then stops and does not appear to move and when I release it the cursor moves to a new position based upon how long I hold it down. It is actually moving but it does not move on the screen. The same happens if I want to move the cursor up or down.

This is just a few examples of the problem. It is really a very strange phenomenon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.