Mac pro fan grommet

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dmoon, Aug 17, 2010.

1. dmoon macrumors newbie

I am trying to replace one of the front fans of my 2008 mac pro since it has become noisy over time despite dusting/cleaning it. There is a black rubber/plastic screw or grommet that holds the fan in place. It looks like if I take it out. I'll wind up breaking it. Does any know where I can buy more of these or what the part number is?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

AFAIK, the front fan assembly in the 2008 only ships out as one big piece (Apple part number 922-8497), meaning you can't order individual replacement parts for it.

3. philipma1957, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2010
  4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

There is absolutely no need to replace the whole fan unit!

You can use standard rubber fan mounts which you can get in almost every online store that sells silent PC parts.
    I'm not familiar with US stores, so you might check your preferred stores for rubber fan mounts.

They look like these:
    [​IMG]

Apple uses the first ones, you can however use the lower ones as well if you clip of the part that's to long.

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

FrozenCPU is a good place for those in the US. Newegg sells them too. They're also pretty resilient and stretchy. You might be surprised how far they'll stretch without tearing when being installed/removed. I have yet to rip one. They're also pretty generic as far as fitting goes, so no need to worry about an Apple-specific part.

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Cool. I wasn't aware which parts they were using for the grommets. Good to know!

7. dmoon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks J the Ninja and Transporteur that was exactly the information I was looking for!