Mac Pro (Late 2013) GPU (Driver) Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bax2003, Mar 28, 2015.

1. adonis3k macrumors 6502

I am still getting random reboots (after waking from sleep the next day usually), no hardware tests pick up anything, annoying!

2. pierre1610 macrumors member

D300 system in for repair at apple, they found fault with the cards and want to replace it with like for like at a cost. Really anoyyed i have to pay for this. How likely is it the fault will resurface? They will only replace for the same card and won't upgrade the card to D500 or D700. Seems a bit sus they don't sell them with these cards anymore, makes me think its old stock and the fault will re-appear

3. missionpeak, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

missionpeak macrumors newbie

My Mac Pro 2013 has the exactly same frozen issue in this thread.

I like to know if I can disable one of the dual D300 card, or just unplug the fault card from machine, if only one card is fault. In my usage case, it always use only one graphics card. (I bought the Mac Pro for the reason of four TB interface)

Anyone know this?

Or can I disable some fancy function in graphics card if I do not need it? Hopefully it can work stably in this downgraded way.

4. bax2003, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

bax2003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bax2003

You display output is connected to the CARD B + PCIe Flash connector, card A i for computing only. If you disconnect card B - no video or boot, if you disconnect card A - Mac will boot with fan on full blast with GFX in some kind of safe non-accelerated mode.

5. missionpeak macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info.
    I read your signature below the msg, your MP is w/ D500s card. But seems that only D300s is impacted by this issue. Did your D500s have this issue? or you bought two new D500s cards or new MP to replace the faulty one?

like to know if it is possible to replace the D300s cards with any fine working cards, D500, D700. maybe replace only the card which connects the display output is enough, right? Wont spend much on this 4years old model, but it is really annoy for this moment, and need fixed.

6. bax2003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bax2003

In few pages before I explained in details what happened with my nMP with D300s and how I ended up with D500s 6c model:
    https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...u-driver-issues.1860297/page-46#post-24816624

Most of the reported problems are related to models with D300s. One of the reasons is probably because this is the most sold model. D300s also use a bit older chips than in D500s and D700s. You also should be aware of the fact that there are reported problems with every model.

Changing the chips could work but only if you change both cards. If I had at my disposal two nMPs, one with D300s and the other with D500s I would test this theory this very second. It could also be the case that every model´s logic board expects certain Dxx model to be plugged in.

7. Idolum macrumors member

My theory is that the D300s are incompatible with the graphic accelerations introduced with Metal. If anyone knows if it is possible to disable the hardware accelerations via the terminal I would be more than happy to run tests.

8. bax2003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bax2003

I think that acceleration could be disabled via XCode Developer Tool named Quartz Debug and its settings: (without typing terminal commands)
    • Deselected Enable Quartz Extreme
    • Checked the Disable 2D Acceleration
    • Checked the Disable radio button under Quartz GL

9. missionpeak macrumors newbie

cannot agree more.
    I have disabled the hardware acceleration in google Chrome browser. but it is only for Chrome.
    For the safari and some other applications which depends on safari engine, I still do not know how to disable the hardware acceleration on it.

In my experience, the freeze issue likely happens on chrome/safari or other webpage app, and the waking up from sleep, which I now totally not make nMP into sleep mode.

10. missionpeak macrumors newbie

11. MarkJames68 macrumors member

MarkJames68

I am starting to suspect the same with my system - had posted previously about beach balling and lockups.

D300 running High Sierra. Reinstalled from scratch. Temps all good.

Running internal GPU through Thunderbolt Display, maxed out CPU w/“yes” (99% load), locks up within minutes.

Running internal GPU in safe mode, seems to work ok without locking up with same CPU stress.

Running RX 580 eGPU via Akitio Node w/TB2 converter, NOT in safe mode through ultra wide LG display, no lock ups so far, even if I run Safari session with same CPU stress. Over 30 minutes now.

Makes me tentatively think it is a driver and/or hardware issue with the D300 graphics cards.

Will let run for a few hours and report back. Next step will be to restore the drive and test again with eGPU.

12. missionpeak macrumors newbie

What is the internal GPU safe mode?
    My D300 MP is connected with four DELL U2515h monitors, works on some java data applications. Totally no GPU acceleration is needed. like to know how to make it in safe mode.

13. MarkJames68 macrumors member

MarkJames68

Standard Mac safe mode - boot holding the shift key down. Suspect it loads a minimal graphics driver without acceleration.

14. Idolum macrumors member

Then it should be possible to delete all but the minimal graphics driver via the terminal (or after you boot up via safe mode or via an external drive). Does anyone know how?

15. MarkJames68 macrumors member

MarkJames68

Don’t know why you would want to do this - the barebones driver is really minimal, with terrible screen response.

16. Idolum macrumors member

This might be helpful to perform tests:

17. missionpeak, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017

missionpeak macrumors newbie

Just find a way to disable gpu acceleration (OpenCL) on mac.
    https://www.phaseone.com/zh-CN/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=1720

In this page, there is a section, posted as below.

How to completely disable OpenCL, in case of a crash at startup

• Windows: run the script DONOT_useopencl.reg and restart Capture One (the download also contains a restore script to re-enable OpenCL useopencl.reg) Download here
    • Mac: Run this script “ToggleOpenCL.app” - disable OpenCL and restart Capture One Download here

• Mac 10.11 UPDATE: Run this script instead “ToggleOpenCLMacOS10.11.app” - disable OpenCL and restart Capture One Download here

Since my MP is running on 10.13, not sure which script should be used. I tried both scripts for mac.
    No freezing issue for 30 hours after I toggle off OpenCL with the script.
    You guys may have a try.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 14, 2017 ---
    BTW, OpenGL is another GPU graphics interface which Mac OS is used in core level. OpenGL could not be disabled in Mac.