Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has recently added the Mac Pro to the refurbished section of its online store, giving customers the opportunity to purchase the professional-level desktop at a 15 percent discount compared to a brand-new machine for the first time since the computer's December 2013 release.

There are several different configurations available, ranging in price from $2,549 for the 3.7GHz quad-core machine with 12GB RAM and 256GB storage to $7,479 for the 2.7Ghz 12-core machine with 32GB RAM and 1TB storage. All available refurbished Mac Pro models ship within 3 to 5 business days.

refurbishedmacpro.jpg

All of Apple's refurbished products, the Mac Pro included, have been thoroughly tested for reliability and come with the same one-year warranty offered with standard products.

Apple's 2013 Mac Pro made waves when it was released, due to its radically redesigned cylindrical form factor and the fact that the machine is the first to be assembled in the United States. It features Ivy Bridge E processors, dual GPUs, Thunderbolt 2, and fast PCI Express-based flash storage.

Article Link: Mac Pro Models Now Available From Apple's Online Refurbished Store

Last edited:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
May be more of a temptation for people on the fence about buying one. This was the only method I used to purchase Powermac G5 computers back in the day. Was always happy with the reduced price, full warranty and support.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Lol, I kid. I think this put's the Mac Pro squarely in the sights of the top end Macbook Pro. I can see them moving some units.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Awesome news! Buying Refurbished for a Mac Pro is definitely the way to go. Same performance and warranty for less $.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
I just checked yesterday to see if they were offering refurbs yet. I checked the .ca store and they have lots of models listed, but every one says out of stock under "available to ship:".

menano

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2011
Neverland
I am having a perfect experience with mine! I would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about it. I have never been disappointed by an apple computer but this particular one is outstanding!

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
I was wondering when these might start showing up. I couldn't have afforded the cost when these first came out so I went with an iMac at the time. Now with the refurbished price drop and the apparent ability to upgrade the processors, I might consider the Mac Pro in the future.

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
I am not a big fan of these Mac Pros, primarily since you can't do internal expansion. I have two of the trash can models and the tangle of external cables, hard drives, CD/DVD drive, etc., just keeps growing.

They are cute and fast with great performance, but getting smaller is not always better. Getting bigger and bigger...also might not be the best thing :)

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
I am not a big fan of these Mac Pros, primarily since you can't do internal expansion. I have two of the trash can models and the tangle of external cables, hard drives, CD/DVD drive, etc., just keeps growing.

They are cute and fast with great performance, but getting smaller is not always better. Getting bigger and bigger...also might not be the best thing :)

I thought you could upgrade the processor inside of the new MacPros. Or at least, I think there's a company that sells those kits.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
Still pro-level cost. I'm in the boat with people who want a low-end Mac Pro with i7 and a consumer-grade GPU, or a high-end Mac mini with no laptop parts, however you look at it.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Some of those prices are really not that bad. The model I was looking at is about $900 cheaper refurbished. But I for one am hoping there will be new nMPs coming out in a few months. I try to avoid a first gen Apple product whenever possible, plus we still have no real idea how upgradeable these first ones are until the new ones come out and we see if Apple will actually offer new GPU kits, for example.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Depending on which model and specs, it still may be cheaper for some people to buy new from a reseller without tax (B&H and Adorama come to mind) rather than directly from Apple. Especially if adding in AppleCare, which resellers tend to be able to offer discounts on.

alfonsog

Contributor
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
I love mine but it is overkill. I ended up not using it for what I got it for. I'm probably going to sell it since I use my 2011 macbook air more and for everyday tasks it's just as fast. I have the 4 core one with apple upgraded 16gb ram and applecare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.