Mac Pro Motherboard for a PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by aquablue, Oct 26, 2010.

1. aquablue macrumors member

Does anybody know where you can buy the motherboard that the mac pro 12 core uses (with regular BIOS) for building a PC? Is it available? I'm not making a mac, i'm just intrested in the environmental stats and want to use it in a PC build.

2. donw35 macrumors regular

donw35

I don't think you understand what you are asking

3. aquablue thread starter macrumors member

I was under the impression that the motherboard the mac uses is an INTEL board and may also be available for general sale for PC builds w/o the mac specific hw. I guess not..

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Just look for a dual socket LGA 1366 board

5. aquablue thread starter macrumors member

There are certain things I like about the mac board.... there are no boards that have the same enviro. stats as the mac board available that I could find.

6. goMac macrumors 603

...so you want to build a Mac Pro?

Seriously, the Mac Pro board also has regular BIOS. The board you're asking for is the Mac Pro board, and you get it anywhere you'd want to buy a Mac Pro board.

No idea why you'd want to do that though. The Mac Pro board is not ATX, and won't fit in any normal PC case.

7. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's technically possible, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The firmware is EFI, and though it contains a BIOS emulation layer, it could cause problems. Cost is another factor (PSU and coolers would need to come from Apple to function properly), and perhaps the size (SSI CEB spec, not ATX; it's slightly larger <by .5"> down one dimension). You should be able to get a case, but it may require some modifications to the plate that holds the mainboard to make it work.

If you're after a DP board for a PC, then get a PC board. BTW, it seems Foxconn (2009 to current) is now the ODM for the MP's boards, not Intel (2006 - 2008 systems).

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Look for ASUS dual LGA1366 boards on NewEgg. Hint - They are on the server category for motherboards.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod