Mac Pro next friday with new videocard!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hugodrax, Nov 13, 2007.

1. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

I will put in my predictions at this friday and new videocards as well, forget the Monday/Tuesday predictions. Friday is it!!

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

3. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

In after random prediction but before mention of MM.

It could be tomorrow since Monday was a holiday. Remember the MacBook? THAT was a Thursday.

5. bld44 macrumors 6502

Honestly, at this point, I'm wishing for an updated Mac Pro so everyone would shut up already. But I know, the day after any update, they'll already be talking about the NEXT one. :rolleyes:

6. deathshrub macrumors 6502

In after in before.

They are already talking about the nelahem MPs.

7. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

I want to see an update as much as everyone.. but these worthless, take a sot in the dark predictions are a waste of mine and everyone's time...

8. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

I really don't comprehend the fascination wit the new Mac Pro's... will they have 16 core processors, bluray/HDDVD? If not.. then what's the big deal?

9. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

I predict a MAJOR update to ALL APPLE PRODUCT LINES before New Years Eve 2010.

10. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

The "big deal" is a function of two things: 1) Frustration at Apple's stagnation; 2) Not wanting to pay for an overpriced, 1.5 year old computer.

I'd buy the current Mac Pro today if its price was a reflection of the age of its components. Unfortunately, its sold for twice as much as its worth, which is annoying to myself and others.

And I think some people are holding out hope that it will have next-gen components in it... For me, that's not such a big deal as I wouldn't be able to afford that model anyways.

11. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Hard to tell if that was intentional or not though. A lot of Apple Stores had boxes of macbooks that they were told not to open. Maybe a screw up with shipping caused the books to go out earlier than expected and Apple had to release them to the public at large. It was a really silent update, even Apple's store didn't advertise them as new for a week after they were updated.....

Or maybe Apple is going to a more silent update system in general when they ship products "when they are ready" and don't stick to Tuesday mornings....

12. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Twice as much as its worth? Compared to what?

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

14. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

I agree with your question. I did a little fun exercise using our friends at NewEgg. Put together a system MINUS the case and power supply. It went something like so:

- Intel server-based motherboard
    - 2 x 3GHz Clovertown processors
    - EVGA nVidia 7300GT (since that's the same chipset the MacPro ships with)
    - 1G of RAM (2x512M, just like Apple)
    - 1 Seagate 250G SATA drive

The price came out to almost $3200. Again, that's sans case and power supply.

That price isn't terribly different than Apple's, for a similar base system. It's about $800 less; so you're paying an extra $800 for:
    - a really innovative system case
    - power supply that can handle 2 chips and multiple video cards (and disks)
    - OS X
    - a little extra for the "Apple-brand Mark-up"

The killer in price is the motherboard (nearly $400-500 or so) and the CPUs (almost $1300/CPU). These parts aren't inexpensive.

jas

15. viltsu macrumors member

It´s hard to say this, but MP´s are not gonna be upgraded this week. Sorry guys!

16. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

You forgot the SuperDrive, keyboard, & mouse.

17. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Can you link to the board?

18. 98707 macrumors regular

When will Mac Pros get released?

I think after apple releases 10.5.1

19. chameleon macrumors regular

chameleon

There may be some merit in that thought.

I've heard some grumblings from current Mac Pro users who have issues with Leopard. Maybe Apple wants to get those issues ironed out before releasing new hardware?

/grasping at straws

20. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

I nuked the shopping cart at NewEgg already, sorry. It's an exercise left to the reader though; anyone can do it. You just need to make sure you choose a motherboard that has 2 socket-771 slots, as well as 8 memory slots. Intel, Supermicro, ASUS, etc, all have boards that meet this criteria. And they're all right around USD400-500 or so.

jas

21. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Fair enough. Technically speaking, perhaps the *identical* components aren't that much cheaper. And while it's not a completely fair comparison, the fact is that there are now desktop quad core chips that are *SIGNIFICANTLY* cheaper for a not-severe degradation in performance.

In short, you can build a system which is not that inferior to the current 4 core offering by Apple for a fraction of the price.

I accept your argument that Apple might not be overcharging for the exact components in the computer (excepting RAM), but my argument was that Apple could build a comparable system to the current Mac Pro for a fraction of the price.

22. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

indeed!

There is no longer any sense in trying to "predict" a Mac Pro announcement at this point. It's either coming totally out of the blue, or it's coming at MacWorld. My guess is the latter.

23. mrsollars macrumors regular

my favorites are the.....

''i have it on 'good authority....''

''somebody i know that is VERY close to the inside of this...."

''i heard from a guy, who's dog bit my friend, who knew a guy named steve 'jobbes', which is VERY close to steve 'jobs' said they'd be out tomorrow....''

idiots.

24. RCGMac macrumors regular

Is there going to be these threads every day between now and the day they are released?! This is feeling a lot like the "Powerbook G5's Next Tuesday" threads, they will come out when they come out. It is not the end of the world if Apple doesn't release these this week or next. Apple will release it when they feel it is ready. Apple isn't doing this to screw all the people out there that need MP's.

25. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

Maybe. But can you install 2 of those quad-core desktop chips onto a motherboard? Is there any way to get an 8-core system with those desktop chips?

I'm fairly certain the answer is no.

jas