Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Get a life people.

Seriously, New Mac Pro tomorrow. Tomorrow comes, new Mac Pro Tomorrow. The next day comes, New Mac Pro tomorrow.

You know, if the only thing worth discussing is when the new machine is released, then you need something more in your life.

As for whether the current Mac Pro is a reasonable price, that's up to the buyer. But, it really does compare favorably to the other Macs in the product line.

Right after the new Alum. iMac came out, I decided I needed to get some work done and quit waiting for the fabled machines to come along. So, I compared the high-end iMac against the standard Mac Pro. With the upgrades the high-end iMac would need to meet my needs, the price was so close to the Mac Pro, that the Mac Pro looked like a steal.

And, with the Mac Pro I got two more processor cores, and room for more future add-ons (internally - such as hard drives), and the ability to easily blow the dust out without a major operation.

With the price of a high-end upgraded iMac taken into consideration, I purchased the Mac Pro instead and made some minor tweaks to place it where I wanted it.

The Mac Pro is only over-priced if you look at it from the point of when it was introduced.

If you look at it from the point of what you get for the money compared to other Macs for nearly the same amount of money, it really does compare well.

For what I would have invested in a higher-end iMac with all the upgrades I needed, I got a more powerful Mac Pro instead.

And, the best part, is that while everyone here has been whining and predicting that tomorrow will be the day, I've been getting a lot of accumulated work completed.

In the end, productivity and getting something done, is worth more than waiting indefinitely.

Besides, what if the new machine is released and follows the new iMac's reliability pattern? Then, while you all are in the shop, I'll still be getting more work done.

ideasman69

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2007
its pretty disappointing.. i sold my macbook and my pc last week hoping that the macpro would come out this week.

so im full of cash and just waiting...

PLEASE APPLE - LET ME GIVE YOU ALL MY MONEY

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
its pretty disappointing.. i sold my macbook and my pc last week hoping that the macpro would come out this week.

so im full of cash and just waiting...

PLEASE APPLE - LET ME GIVE YOU ALL MY MONEY

Well, now that you have no computer, you must have more time on your hands.

Enjoy the break.

Never count the Mac before it hatches.

The bird that gets up too early could starve before the worm arrives.

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Maybe. But can you install 2 of those quad-core desktop chips onto a motherboard? Is there any way to get an 8-core system with those desktop chips?

I'm fairly certain the answer is no.

jas

Probably not.. I'm sure the 8-cores aren't that horrendously overpriced, but I haven't looked.

My beef is basically with the lower-end Mac Pro's price. I'm in that range where I want something between an iMac and a Mac Pro, so I'm more concerned about what the lower-end models are. My finger is basically on two triggers right now: build a blazing Ubuntu box for a fraction of the cost of a comparable Mac Pro, or pay the Apple Tax™ premium just to get the Mac OS. It's a big compliment to the Mac OS that I'm actually leaning much more toward the latter than the former. I just can't bear to run any OS other Leopard at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.