Mac Pro on a plane

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by deux-ex-mak, Jul 7, 2009.

1. deux-ex-mak macrumors newbie

Hi there

I must either sell my MP or carry it to the place I´m moving to. The weight of the machine is say 20 Kg.

Anyone has put it in a big suitcase and got a flight with it ? Would you do it, or too crazy ?

thanx

2. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

With the prices charged for checked luggage, it would be cheaper to mail it.

3. baydogan macrumors newbie

you are not supposed to put computer or electronics in your checked baggage. the airlines do not accept any responsibility. I would mail it if you are moving in country. I would only take the chance if I am going abroad

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Do you have the original box?

There have been several horror stories here about home packaging gone awry.

If you have the original box, I'd ship it.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you don't have the original box I would make every effort to find someone who does and who may be willing to sell it to you.

Packing it in a suitcase sounds like a bad idea. I've seen what they do with suitcases and yours will be that one that comes along the conveyor belt opened and smashed to bits making everyone gasp in amazement as they thank whatever God they want to thank that it wasn't theirs. ;)

7. Dreamail macrumors 6502

I have seen people check in Macs in their original boxes. Wrapped into another box and a black bin bag.

However, be aware that the airline is not going to replace items of that value if lost or damaged. There's typically an upper limit on their insurance claim and it is typically lot lower than the value of your Mac Pro.

As a result of this I've heard some stories of checked in computers simply going amiss. They never arrived and are mysteriously unaccounted for. Someone just stole it.
    And the insurance will pay you like $1,000 as compensation.

Another option might be to bring it along as carry-on hand luggage.
    Seriously.

British Airways for example allows hand luggage up to 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22" x 18" x 10"). Lufthansa on the other hand, and most airlines limits it to 55cm x 40cm x 20cm (22" x 14" x 9"). Check with your airline.
    Seat Guru might help you compare maximum carry-on luggage sizes.

The Mac Pro's dimensions are: 51.1 cm x 47.5 cm x 20.6 cm (20.1" x 18.7" x 8.1").

Just a tad deeper than what British Airways allows, basically the handles are in the way. Yet they might still let you on the plane with it, as it's only the handles and they protrude merely 2.5cm (1 inch).
    Otherwise you might have to find a way to remove the top or bottom handles. Filing them off or bending them inwards. Sounds harsh, but might be the safest, cheapest and quickest way to bring your Mac Pro along.

If you do bring your Mac Pro on the plane with you, wrap it in strong bubble wrap - but in a way that still allows you to open it up for inspections.

If carry-on luggage is not your thing, shipping it overseas with one of the moving companies might be your best bet.
    I used ExcessBaggage and was quite happy with them.
    Shipping can take as long as 2-3 months, but from what I experienced (and heard from others) is usually well taken care of. My 19 boxes arrived in perfect condition because the moving company put them in their own wooden crate. (Much different story on my FedEx shipped boxes which arrived in an awful state - as if someone played football with them...)

8. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I don't think 'Mac Pro on a plane' is going to cut it as a movie, unfortunately :(

9. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Ship it! Do NOT check it in luggage.

Try to find a Mac Pro retail box somewhere, that way you can ship it in packaging that was designed for it.

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Mac Pro + Airplane = Very bad idea
    Ship it out the day before you leave so it arrives anywhere from the day after you arrive to a few days after. You will pay roughly the same (likely a bit less) to ship it over paying for an additional bag, but shipping includes insurance.
    I can guarantee that if you check a computer, you will not see it again.

11. deux-ex-mak thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I have the original box. Shipping looks like an option.

12. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Exactly, what does FedEx do with packages . . . all the corners are bent, a cut in the box that penetrates to the inside, blacks marks all over the box as if it was dragged on asphalt. With that said the Mac inside has no cosmetic damage, but I wonder all the throwing around hasn't loosen something on the Mac. I like the built to order options but because of this I try to buy standard config's in the store.

13. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Yes, based on past experience, FedEx is a guarantee that your box will be damaged on arrival. I have never had a mangled box with UPS, however. The USPS is generally good, especially with priority mail, but the cost of shipping packages is quite high. DHL relies on USPS for the final leg of the journey, but their handling isn't too bad and nor are their prices. I still recommend UPS, especially with the size and weight of the item being shipped.

14. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yeah I would either mail it(preferred) or carry it with you. There was someone on here where they tried to put it in their checked baggage but was shocked to see that it was opened up with a crowbar since the TSA dimwits didn't know how to open a Mac Pro so they could "inspect" the insides.

I just flew back out here to Cali and I brought my Dell desktop with me in my checked baggage, I left the side door open(for reason as described above) and just surrounded it with my clothes to help cushion it. Have you ever sat on the plane in a window seat and watch how the baggage handlers "handle" people's luggage? That will give you a reason to ship your $3000 MP!!!! I wasn't too worried about a $200 Dell :p... I want a new case for it anyways. But no damage was done :(.

Check with the airlines policy, I believe they will only issue up to $3,000 is damages to personal property. Ever hear the story with the guy who sued the airlines for $1 million because they lost his computer? He had all his "important" data on there so that's why it was worth 1 million. Don't ever remember what happened with that story but they only covered $3,000 of it.

15. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

16. Michael73 macrumors 65816

if you **REALLY** loved your MacPro, you'd buy an extra seat next to yours on the plane to keep you company on the journey :D

I'm sure the MacPro wouldn't mind if you took it's pretzels and drink when the cart comes around ;)

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

Hmm.... My experiences have been the exact opposite. FedEx items are usually those remaining in tact, while UPS's habits looks like the gorrilas played soccer with it. Occasionally, it's worse, as an elephant must have sat on it. :eek: :p

UPSP has been OK. What's arrived damaged, was a result of poor packaging.

While in college, I actually worked for UPS, and I've plenty of horror stories on handling. Such as Swarovski Crystal taking a 6 story header off a conveyor system.
    I'm also a proponent for Pelican cases, but usually for things that are carried around portably often, such as specialized communications laptops being shipped to different field locations (different users).

Since the OP has the orginal box, it would save ~$245 + shipping for a one time deal. ;)

18. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Wow, it's made for the Mac Pro, the foam is cut-out for it. :)

Now if the MP was shipped with this case I won't worry at all if it was FedEx or UPS. :) No price on the site though, scared to ask or know what it cost. $250?

19. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

yikes!..don't check check that bad boy...you will never see it again.

20. jjhny macrumors regular

jjhny

My advice for the Mac Pro is to ship by FedEx but pull the internal hard drive (or drives) and carry the drive(s) with you separately (packed in foam) - that way if they lose the computer you won't lose your data.

21. arximond macrumors newbie

I was hoping to take mac pro and 30" ACD on plane, with pelican case, but now im thinking to do this some other way :( what if ill take business class ticket ?

22. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

All of the big shippers (UPS, Fedex, etc) throw stuff around. Make sure it is well packed and insured. If the original box is not in good shape, you might want to pay for the shipper's packing service. If your own packaging is insufficient, they may deny any insurance claims. If you pack yourself, take some pictures of it before shipping.

23. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I think it was in the neighborhood of $500+ Great if you're on the move and the computer needs to be out on location, but rather costly if it's just a one time move.

Edit: Here's CPD's Pelican case for the Mac Pro and room for a 30" ACD to boot: http://www.casesbypelican.com/apple-g5-1690.htm http://www.casesbypelican.com/apple-g5-1640.htm

$695 and $575 respectively

It looks like you can get the 1640 for under $300 with foam, but while the pictures show a Mac Pro/G5 in them, I'm suspect as to whether it's molded: http://www.filmtools.com/pelican1640.html

I've ordered gear from Filmtools before but I have my doubts that this is the identical foam cut out provided by CPD. In any case, the empty weight is 38lbs, so with the 40+lbs of the Mac Pro, you're no doubt paying some oversized luggage fee on top of the check in fee.

24. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Another vote for shipping in the original box.
    However, I like the idea of buying it a seat. :D Perhaps it will catch on and everyone will do it. Of course lugging it up and down the aisle will piss some people off, leading them to yell:

Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherf****** MacPro's on this motherf****** plane!

25. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator