Mac Pro on the floor

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JonR356, Feb 20, 2008.

1. JonR356 macrumors member

My setup is: Early 08 Mac Pro with 2x23" ACDs, on an ATI card (for the time being)

I've got the tower on the floor, on carpet. Is this really bad news? The HDs etc look to be sealed, so what's the problem with doing this?

2. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

this is bad

your machine could overheat and explode

get off floor asap

3. junior77 macrumors regular

I sure hope your kidding...

4. DWS macrumors member

5. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

Mine is on the floor... I don't see any problems with it.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I would think so - my Mac Pro has been sat on the (carpeted) floor for nearly 18 months (and a PowerMac in the same position for 2 1/2 years before then), and I've not had an explosion yet....

7. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

My G5 MP sat on the carpet for 3 1/2 years and my new MP is on the carpet as well. Never had a problem. Also, I wanted to clean the inside of my G5 because I am giving it to my son, and there was a very minimal amount of dust inside.

8. deathshrub macrumors 6502

There's just something disconcerting about relegating an almost $6,000 (with upgrades) machine to the floor. I suppose the amount of dustflow into the machine would increase, and that could affect cooling. But the Mac Pro I have is probably going back to Apple within a few days because I am experiencing the reboot after sleep issue, so I shouldn't be afraid to stick it on the floor.

It's the principle though. :p

9. echoout macrumors 6502a

The floor is fine. I guess if you're in a house, apt, or office that is prone to flooding, that might be something, but otherwise just keep your place reasonably clean.

10. LOZER macrumors member

Yeah, I've never had a problem with my Mac Pro on the ground. I will be putting it on a desk soon, but that is just for aesthetic purposes. Why not when it looks so good.

11. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

The metal handles that are on top are also on the bottom. This raises the computer off the floor, it's fine.

12. Brandon3003 macrumors member

I've always had mine on the floor without any problems. I just make a habit of cleaning the inside of the case a bit every once n' a while.
    The way I see it, dust is going to be in the air no matter where you put it.

13. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Yeah... it's clean you'll have no problems...

14. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Really? I was thinking of having mine suspended in mid-air. Have to rethink that now.

15. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I got an air purifier thingy...my office feels cleaner...

16. network23 macrumors 6502

network23

17. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

As I understand it - and I may very well be wrong - tower
    cases are designed to sit on a floor. I can't see that there'd
    be any significant problem with putting the machine in its
    natural resting place.

18. martinlk macrumors member

martinlk

Yeah, put that sucker on the floor. Tower computers aren't supposed to sit on the table -- it looks like crap (even if it is Apple) and it's noisier.

19. Ovistavin macrumors member

I had my PowerMac G4 on the floor in the various places I lived for 7 years without any problems. I have maybe opened the case one in all that time to clean out any dust.

I have my Mac Pro is sitting on the floor as well.

20. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

You should be just fine having it on the floor.
    However I put my MP on the desk cause it's so beautiful to look at :D

21. eviltobz macrumors member

i've had pcs run quite comfortably on the floor for years, and that's without the great big handles of the macs that give the case clearance from a deep carpet which defintiely had at least some effect on the airflow through my old boxes. my g5 spent basically its entire life on the floor too without issue.

my mac pro however is sitting on the bottom shelf of a desk, but that's just because it is the only way it'll fit my new environment :) if i had a different desk it'd be on the floor too.

22. TenFour macrumors member

Mine hovers in mid-air, doesn't yours?

All kidding aside, its perfectly fine on the floor, as long as your dog doesn't decide to mark it as his territory (which could be a problem with such a nice looking box).;)

23. tivoli2 macrumors regular

tivoli2

I had mine on my desktop while I was installing applications and extra hardware... felt like I had the monolith from 2001 looming over me.

[​IMG]

When I was done, I managed to squeeze it in on the shelf I had built for my old Quicksilver, and it's as though it was floating in mid-air! ;)

[​IMG]

24. m1stake macrumors 68000

I have a rabbit that loves to sit where I *would* put it. Plus, it'd suck in his fur and catch on fire too much, and he'd get pissed off and chew through the cables.

25. Jonny427 macrumors regular

Roffles is this for real? An argument over not putting a desktop tower on the floor? The only reason why i'd avoid the floor is if I know i'll spill something on it. No matter where you put it, its not going to magically explode or collect any more dust than sitting on the desk.