Mac Pro owners what's your sidekick?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by entatlrg, Dec 6, 2009.

?

Mac Pro Owners, do you own a laptop too?

1. MBA

16 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. 13" MBP

27 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. 15" MBP

44 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. 17" MBP

17 vote(s)
    10.6%
  5. Other

26 vote(s)
    16.3%
  6. Windows machine

17 vote(s)
    10.6%
  7. No laptop

13 vote(s)
    8.1%
  1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Do you own a laptop along with your Mac Pro?

If so, what kind? MBA, 13, 15 or 17" MBP? Or a windows machine?

How much time do you spend on each? What's the main purpose of your Mac Pro and your Notebook?

For me, I own a 15" MBP and a MBA, I'm 40% Mac Pro and 60% of my time on the notebooks. Main purpose of my Mac Pro is design work, downloads, back up, server ...

No windows machines here :)

2. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

i own a 17" MBP SSD with my MP.

MP = 70% usage
    MBP = 20%
    iPhone = 10%

[ when traveling and working remotely ]

MBP = 85%
    iPhone = 15%

PowerBook G4 15" is now a download machine with casual browsing
    PowerBook G4 17" is now a TV/movie machine hooked to a 23" ACD with EyeTV Diversity

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

MacBook Air.

I would say about 60% Pro, 35% Air, and the other 5% on the iPhone.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Since there was no option for regular MacBooks, I had to pick "Other"...

Anyway, I basically just use the MacBook for surfing.

6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

+1 :D The MBA is primarily used on the Sofa or in bed for surfing/email as well as a travel companion.

7. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

My hateful 12" PowerBook. I use the MP probably 95% of the time, but the transition from the MP's limitless power to PB's 100% CPU load playing YouTube videos is quite jarring.

8. akadmon macrumors 68010

Theoretically, I own two MBPs, but I let my daughters use them all the time. Don't really have a sidekick (although I venture to say that the iPhone could be considered one). I do have a corporate laptop (Dell D620) running Windows 7.

9. jeenyusboy5 macrumors member

I built a website and got a mb for payment so i just that for basic surfing and class. Otherwise I'm on my mp.

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I have a 13" uni-body (Rev before the MBP rebranding). It's a workable machine. I do audio work. So the MB is my sketch pad. I get all ideas recorded in and do arrangement work away from the studio. Then once in the studio I transfer over to the MP and continue working the song.

For me it is a needed set up. The studio is a great place to execute ideas and the what not, but I need to change environments in order to start the creative process.

The MacBook can also double as my right hand on stage, whether I am doing a DJ set or doing a live show, running ableton on the Macbook.

The size is just right. At times I miss my 15"MBP, but this guy fits better into the set up. A lot of the time on stage or what not space is limited, I can place this guy in places that the 15" would either be in the way or have a chance of falling.

11. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

'09 Mac Pro Octo 2.26 - workhorse and heavy lifter
    '09 Macbook Pro 17" 2.66 - on the go workhorse

I primarily use my 17" unibody for preliminary design, taking along to school and writing notes, basically whatever I need on the go. My Mac pro does heavy rendering and more involved design and typing and surfing, as it doesn't get bogged down like my mbp does by file sizes as much. I also have an iBook serving as the living room surfing/internet game (pogo) platform.

now if only I could afford to drop in some Nehalem EX's when they become available and IF they work in the current Mac Pro, then I'd be in heaven, but as a student I think I'm doing ok having two new computers to help me do my work

12. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I have the original MacBook in addition to my Mac Pro. I'm much like some of the others, the MP does the heavy lifting while the MB is free for whatever else I feel like doing.

13. gotzero macrumors 68040

13" MBP for me, moved up from an MBA to take advantage of RAM. I use the big systems for my work, and when I am traveling and working, I am usually remoting into the MP/XServe. I do a lot of simulation which is a little code but a lot of crunching.

I use the desktop system whenever possible, but the laptop is a fine mobile solution/couch browser.

14. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Well, technically I have a G5, but I'll be upgrading next update (fingers crossed).

My "sidekick" is a Dell Precision M4400. Considering how I'm at school most of the day, my split is half and half. Except on days where either system is getting maintenance (such as now, where my G5 is getting fscked, or other days where my laptop gets defragged).

Personally I'm going to see if I can nab a MBP (matte) with the MP later this year. Can't wait for Intel's 32nm numbers.

15. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

16. matperk macrumors 6502

Sidekick used to be my MBA, but sold it and picked up a netbook that I can (cheaply) replace every 6 months. :)

17. Outsiderdude26 macrumors regular

I have an old late 2006 C2D 15" MBP for the time being...

Hopefully, I'll be able to replace it in the 1Q 2010 if/when the MBP are updated.

18. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

19. aibo macrumors 6502

An iPhone. I'm either at work (mac mini) or home (mac pro), so I don't need a laptop in between.

20. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I voted "Other" cuz my laptop is a Ubuntu.

Oh, sorry, I forgot this part:
    The Laptop was used for business meetings, software testing (beta team), email, and managing the Mac Pro and render-farm remotely. It also served as an electronic manual for whatever it was I needed to learn (usually software related).

These days it's main purpose is so that other people in the house can get access to the internet without having to repurpose one of my precious rendering monsters. So I personally almost don't use it any longer at all - except to administer to the installation or preform hardware upgrades/repairs.

It's a $1,500 (new) single core 3.2 GHz intel chip with 2 GB RAM, fast wireless LAN, CD/DVD writer, 250GB HDD, 10/100BASE-T FD, 4 USB Ports, 16 Inch "wide" Display, External monitor connector, Memory Card reader, and PCMCIA Type II port. It's manufactured by Gateway.

21. mfka macrumors regular

mfka

MP - 85 %
    15” MBP - 15 %

I use it for presentations usually and like a skype mobile phone :)

22. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

A 15" 1.5GHz G4 powerbook. It's old but it still kicks ass.

http://upc.*************/uploads/images/JulesBook.jpg

(we've got other machines here but I use this one almost as frequently as the mac pro)

23. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I've got a 13" MBP for traveling, but since I purchased a 3GS I barely use the laptop.
    It's so heavy. ;)

Therefore 99% MP, 1% MBP.
    I will replace the MBP with a new MB Air which will hopefully get a new trackpad soon.

24. Inutopia macrumors 6502

Inutopia

10" MSI wind here with widows 7.

Windows 7 is very good by the way.. its doing a lot of things very well compared to OS X for me at the moment

25. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Well, I'm technically on a G5 instead of a Mac Pro too... "sidekick" is a crappy Dell used for Internet Explorer site testing, but it's not much use as a portable any more since it no longer recognizes its battery. Saving up for a MBP in the spring -- it'll be nice to no longer be chained to this desk.