Mac Pro Ram price dropping...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by FF_productions, Dec 4, 2008.

1. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Almost every week on OWC/Transintl, the price on the ram is dropping. For $368, you can get 16 gigs of ram (32 gigs for $1200 exactly).

Maybe I sound like I'm asking if you guys could predict the future, but is the price going to stall at one point or possibly go back up?

Last year I bought 2 gigs of ram for $190, I can get 8 gigs for the EXACT same price now.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

RAM pricing is an upside-down Bell Curve. It starts expensive, reaches its cheapest just after it stops being the mainstream format, and then gets expensive again as it gets harder to find.

Once the new Mac Pros hit, we'll start to see prices for the FB-DIMMs go back up.

3. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

So we can assume that FB-Dimm's will not be used in the next revision, hence the price going back up?

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

this is good news indeed, but still not low enough.

5. Sonic macrumors regular

I hope these savings reach these shores (UK). Right now 32Gb is running $2,590 (converted from UK Crucial... 2x4Gb = 440 pounds odd...)

6. m1stake macrumors 68000

DDR2 has been dirt cheap for more than a year, and is still the mainstream format. It'll be a while before the prices go back up, DDR3 is still very much high end memory, even if it's no longer prohibitively expensive.

The i7 processors only support DDR3, so that's a pretty safe bet :)

7. ObaMaciden macrumors member

ObaMaciden

16GB is what I have, and it seem more than sufficient for CS4 & FCS2. Anyone out there NEEDING 32GB? What remarkable difference have you observed?

8. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Mine as well ask you, how much faster is your Mac Pro with 16 gigs of ram? Does it scream or is it just able to handle a lot more open applications?

I only got 3 gigs of ram, I need to upgrade...8 gigs of ram is only $190 but I might just step it up to 16 (then again, I could upgrade to a 3870 Card and get 8 gigs of ram kill 2 birds with one stone).

9. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

the only way that much RAM is going to make your machine faster is if you're really using it all. editing big ass video files or something.

most apps (unless their 64 bit) can't use more then 4 anyway.

10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Can you not buy DDR3 FB-DIMMs then?

11. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

yes you can. from what i've heard that seems to be a safe bet for the next MP.

12. rikoshay macrumors member

rikoshay

I have a late 2007 model Mac Pro with 12 Gb RAM (all slots occupied, as per Apple's recommendation for speed), & I leave the Floating CPU Window (Activity Monitor ap) on continuously, to observe RAM usage. I frequently see single core spikes of varying endurance while using typical aps, like Safari, or Photoshop. Keep in mind that many aps will apparently use as much RAM as you give them. One of my favorite aps, Studio Artist, is designed to use all 8 of my processors at once, & uses every bit of my 'measly' 12 GB RAM! It'd use more if I had it.

13. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

CS4 can only use 4GB of RAM currently, CS5 will supposedly be 64 bit and use as much as you can throw at it :) .

14. ObaMaciden macrumors member

ObaMaciden

I went for 16GB thinking that:
    1: with 8 slots, optimal fill would be: 8 x 1GB, 8 x 2GB, and 8 x 4GB
    2: CS4 takes 4GB, FCS 4GB, VMware (running XP+apps) 3GB, OSX+apps 1-4GB...
    So, 16GB is what I expected to be the optimum for my needs. 32GB would seem like an overkill for me.;)

In any case, going from 3GB to anything larger will mean you can access larger apps with better performance.:D

15. rbnjr macrumors newbie

rbnjr

ram prices

where on the internet are the best places to buy quality ram at a low price?

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Searching the forums, as you were instructed to do before posting, would get you the answer.

OWC is usually cheapest.

17. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

Memory America is the cheapest at any given moment.

18. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

Right now for 4 (4Gb Dimm boards) 800 MHz

Memory America $549 free shipping
    OWC $647 with shipping and insurance
    Crucial $848 free shipping but taxes added

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

The next revision of the MacPro would probably be based on the latest Intel Core i7 technology which will undoubtedly utilise DDR3 Technology. At a guess, the logicboard will probably require users to install RAM upgrades in Triple Channel format.

I would of thought users who are thinking of upgrading, in favour of an Hyper-Threaded Core i7 should forget about buying DDR2 memory as it's incompatible with the newer systems.

20. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It shouldn't require triple channel, just support it. No doubt RAM kits in multiples of 3 will be the best $ per GB though.

21. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You have to remember. If and when Apple starts building systems with the i7, it'll be built as a server or a high-end workstation....

22. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes, but that doesn't mean that they'll place 3 sticks of DDR3 ECC per CPU in the base i7 model. They don't put 4 sticks of FB-DIMM in the current Mac Pro to max out the channels either.

As Umbongo stated, it will certainly work at the max number of channels, but we have to pay out more $$$ for the additional memory. Especially if we're crazy enough to buy it directly from Apple. :p

23. Slimdude22 macrumors member

Are they reliable with mac pro ram? with the heatsinks and all? I have been looking around and they do seem to have the best value. just want to make sure its not to good to be true.

24. smchan macrumors member

I stepped up to 16GB for After Effects. I would've preferred 24-32GB for maximum benefit - assigning 2GB per core for After Effects with the rest being left to other apps I tend to run at the same time like Photoshop and Premiere Pro - but I couldn't justify the cost difference of going from 2 to 4GB DIMMs.

At the moment, I am assigning 1.5GB per core for After Effects with the rest reserved for other applications.

Sam

25. chromatronic macrumors member

Hello, i have a stupid question so sorry in advance...
    iam in japan and its difficult for me to check website for memory and iam looking for memory for a january 2008 mac pro.
    i lookd for FB DIMM but i only find DDR2 DIMM not FB....
    is it ok ?
    something like that http://img.kakaku.com/images/productimage/fullscale/05200912059.jpg

i post the spec, sorry if it appear in japanese ^_^;
    2GB 枚数 2枚
    メモリ規格 DDR2 SDRAM メモリインターフェイス DIMM
    モジュール規格 PC2-6400(DDR2-800) 1MBあたりの価格 \1

it say like 2x2gb you can understand the rest... and DDR2 800 but DIMM not FB... does FB mean just we have to use by Pair ?