Mac Pro reboot on wake *reason* is finally found!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Mar 13, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Ok I found someone's post on a random forum and he said that 100% that the cause of reboot on wake comes from running parallels before you put the mac pro to sleep. So I tested it I put the mac pro to sleep and woke it about 4-5 times and wakes up fine, then I run parallels and then quit parallels and put the mac pro to sleep and woke it up and voila~! it rebooted right after wake.

So its just a parallels bug thats inflicted with the mac pro!! Relief!!!:D

2. Synthabusion macrumors newbie

My Mac Pro reboots on waking up from sleep sometimes, but I don't have Parallels installed...

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

nor fusion??

4. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

hmmm...I rarely put my machine to sleep. I use a hot corner, set in the Spaces and Exposé prefs to sleep my display...but in energy saver, I choose to never sleep anything. So when I leave my room or go out, I just move the mouse to the corner and the screen goes to sleep. But...this really doesn't stop the HDs and the fans like a real sleep would. At least it's an option.

-Ward

5. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

If any of you guys have parallels try it and you will see the instant reboot on wake. :D

6. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

7. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

jjahshik32, I think I'm convinced. Someone should start a poll for VM users (Parallels and VMware) with the RAW problem.

As I said before, I use VMware fusion.

After reading your post I:

I opened WinXP in Fusion.
    Shut my Fusion session, but leaving the app still running in the Dock
    Put MP to sleep.
    Woke the MP with by hitting the spacebar
    Mac Pro rebooted
    Opened mail, Safari and let the computer sit.
    Put MP to sleep.
    Woke the MP with by hitting the spacebar
    Mac Pro woke from sleep without issue
    I opened WinXP in Fusion.
    Shut down Fusion, this time completely exiting from Fusion (session & dock)
    Put MP to sleep.
    Woke the MP with by pressing a mouse button
    Mac Pro rebooted
    Opened iTunes, Dreamweaver, ran xbench on HD and CPUs.
    Put MP to sleep.
    Woke the MP with by pressing a mouse button
    Mac Pro woke from sleep without issue

On the downside, I think I just killed a HD I installed today. I probably shouldn't have done the aforementioned test so rapidly and let the HDs spin down first. :(

8. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I'm just glad what we narrowed down the culprit!!

9. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

My first mac pro restarted from sleep twice, and i've never touched parallels or fusion.

The second i got as a replacement (the first ones HD died), doesn't seem to do it, i've tried to sleep it quite a few times, but it refuses to reboot from sleep ;)

I'm awaiting a third one (long story, i hope this one is perfect), and i really hope that one doesn't do it.

Either way, my machine did it, and i had no weird apps running, and have never used windows or on my mac pro

So... those apps might trigger the problem, but they are not the root causes....

10. big dainjerus macrumors regular

You should give that HD a proper burial in the backyard, or in the basement. It is like the soldier who dives on the grenade to save his crew. Sacrifice. Its legend will live on...what kind was it?

11. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

You killed my high, man. Couldn't you just fake it?

It was a WD 320GB w/16MB Cache. It was part of what was to become a RAID 0+1 Array this weekend. Hopefully it did not die in vain. If this is indeed the resolution; I'll wear it around my freakin neck for the rest of the year.

12. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Imho its just too random of a problem (too many possibilities) and I think that there could be something wrong with the smc firmware right now and apple will probably release a new smc firmware. I wouldnt exchange just for this issue and I dont think its a hardware problem.

13. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Yeah, first machine was flakey with a few things until it refused to boot, this machine works perfectly but has a few battlescars on the inside like a refurb (and if i pay $4000 for a machine i should get a new one!), and apple saw the pic and said they would replace it with zero downtime, and so the third one is hopefully gonna be perfect! Ha.

No, i wouldn't send it back because of the reboot issue, but it's weird that i can't get this second machine to do it, and it's all the same software that runs on the first one.

Some people say their Mac Pro reboots from sleep nearly every time, so...

14. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

The only thing i did on the first machine that i didn't do on this one, is partition the hard drive (which died after running apple hardware test, it wouldn't boot up after the system actually passed the test!). I did two 250GB partitions.

This time around though, i just bought an extra drive (Samsung F1 750GB 32mb) and am using that as a boot drive and the 500gb WD that i got with the MP as my audio drive...

All you fusion and parallel guys, are you partitioning your drives?

Worth a shot :eek::rolleyes:

15. Nordichund macrumors 6502

As I mentioned on another thread when I first received my Mac Pro it rebooted 3 times after being woken from sleep. Then I did the SMC and Pram thing, since then it has not yet rebooted from sleep once (touch wood) And I run Parellels as well. I have even added new OWC ram and an extra WD hard disk since then.
    Sometimes when the machine wakes the fans go off at full blast and it takes a second or two before the screen comes to life, other times the machine just wakes, without even making a sound.

16. designer22 macrumors member

My Mac Pro reboots froom sleep regardless of any of the above "fixes." Glad you found a way to address your own issue, but it doesn't apply across the board.....sorry.

17. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Look at it this way - at least we have a way to demonstrate the issue in front of the Mac "geniuses".

18. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

I have a different anomaly here.

My MP reboots unattended as soon as it goes into Sleep when i have my Logitech MX Revolution cordless mouse on its charging dock. It does this only the first time. The second time the MP goes to Sleep, it does not reboot and waking it by pressing the space bar does not reboot. My workaround is removing the USB wireless receiver before charging the mouse.

19. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

that's a strange one - I have a MX Revo and I haven't yet experienced that problem.

20. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

Is resetting the PRAM as easy as cmd+opt+p+r during boot on the MP or is there a reset button on the board?

My problems with reboot on wake didn't happen until the 2600 firmware update.

Bootcamp with XP pro on second partition.

21. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

I have Fusion and never had a RAW. As a matter of fact, when I put my MP to sleep, the fan still stays on - is that normal? Shouldn't everything be kind of "sleeping"?

22. Cromas macrumors member

Cromas

so the problem of sleep, its via software or hardware? who knows...... ?

23. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

That's not normal.
    Yes, everything should be "sleeping".

24. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Ok nevermind, even though the parallels does make my machine reboot after every wake, last night I havnt run parallels and yet this morning the fan revved up for like 3-4 seconds then it rebooted again.

I think it has to do with certain program(s) that are not compatible with leopard. Since I run about 10-15 programs on leopard, I know that 7-8 of them in their description doesnt mention 10.5.X support and ends at 10.4.X. I think that could have a huge deal on why it restarts randomly.

Note: I think there is a problem with the latest version of smc that could be causing the reboot upon wake and is related to "deep sleep" mode of the mac pro.

25. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Same. Didn't run Fusion this morning, set the computer to sleep, returned home for lunch, hit spacebar, and it rebooted. But like I said before, at least now I can do it on demand at the Apple Store.